    disavantages of using a 851 instead of a 1700? can 851 use 3des crypto
    maps? spoke and hub with access-lists? What about the 107s? thanks.
    , Dec 23, 2005

  2. Guest

    for got to ask also does 851 have ip helper, what ios does it run?
    , Dec 23, 2005

  3. Richard Deal Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > for got to ask also does 851 have ip helper, what ios does it run?

    The 1700 supports hardware encryption, whereas the 800s don't. I have a 871
    router for home use and am quite happy with it--it supports about 10 Mbps
    clear text and around 3 for encryption, which may or may not work for you.
    The main reason I bought the 871 was for its optional built-in wireless
    functionality. Plus, with a flash and RAM upgrade, I can support the
    advanced feature set with IPS and QOS, which isn't really necessary for my
    home usage.

    Hope this helps.

    Cheers!
    Richard
    Richard Deal, Dec 24, 2005
  4. In article <r7erf.779$>,
    Richard Deal <rdeal2 @ cfl.rr.com> wrote:

    >The 1700 supports hardware encryption, whereas the 800s don't.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028a976.html

    [871] Security Features:
    "Hardware-accelerated 3DES for IPSec"
    "Hardware-accelerated AES for IPSec"

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028a9a9.html

    [851] Security Features:

    "Hardware-accelerated Triple Data Encryption Standard (3DES) for IPSec"
    "Hardware-accelerated Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) for IPSec"

    I believe that if you investigate further, you will find that the 83x and up
    have hardware encryption.
    Walter Roberson, Dec 24, 2005
  5. Igor Mamuzic Guest

    Yes it does supports 'ip helper'... It runs IOS 12.3 or 12.4 with "Advanced
    Security" feature set and it's only FS that it runs at 12.4 T train...
    It supports hw crypto for ipsec as Walter already explained...
    It doesn't supports Cisco DMVPN feature in the hub or even spoke role...

    B.R.
    Igor

    Igor Mamuzic, Dec 25, 2005
  6. Guest

    Thanks for your replies, I currently have a hub and poke config in some
    remote sites. I am not a cisco guru but i simply played around with the
    access-lists to do this. I believe there is a new type of vpn, probably
    DMVPN. Can i set up a spoke and hub without dmvpn? i probably need
    another lne with static ips just to play around with this. I have a pix
    firewall in the office and the remotes connect to a remote site using a
    1700 router that connects to the main office.
    , Dec 26, 2005
  7. Igor Mamuzic Guest

    If your router doesn't supports DMVPN you can deploy hub and spoke (without
    multicast support - no routing protocols) with Cisco EasyVPN Remote and
    Cisco EasyVPN Server... After that you can opt do deploy IPSec Virtual
    interfaces (I'm unsure whether 851 supports this) and then you will have a
    multicast support trough IPSec tunnels, so you 'll be able to run routing
    protocols over this VPN...Other way for multicast enabled vpn is to use GRE
    encapsulation encrypted with IPSec...

    The best way to start is to get your self a Cisco Security Device Manager to
    configure VPN's using Microsoft like wizards...
    www.cisco.com/go/sdm

    Here are some useful links:
    EasyVPN:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080455b7d.html