Cisco 1760 router won't respond to Return

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by acorncom, May 6, 2009.

1. acorncom

acorncom

I'm working for a client who has a Cisco 1760 router that he bought off of eBay. But I can't get into Console mode to control the box. My symptoms are a lot like those in another thread on this site:
    /forums/t30271-cisco-2600-cannot-use-console-port.html
    (sorry, I can't make this a link as I haven't posted enough on this site, take the slash and add it after velocityreviews in your URL bar :-/)

In essence, I can get in and look at my Aux port (using 9600 baud, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit and no flow control) and interact with the router. I can connect into other Cisco routers (3600 series) with the same Db9-RJ45 adapter and work with those routers fine (in both Aux and Con modes).

But I can't send a Return character, a Break character, or any other character to the Cisco 1760 router. Does that sound like the router's console port has been zapped? Any way to repair/replace them without replacing the entire box?

I don't have telnet access or ssh access. I can't use enable through Con as no password has been set. And I can't get myself into rmon using either a Break from the keyboard as the router boots or using a faked break (using 1200 baud as per Cisco's website).

I've tested this on a second computer to make sure my computer's DB9 port is working and am having the same results. Have also tried using Putty (as opposed to HyperTerminal) to no avail. What is weird is one time yesterday (before I knew the port was flakey, otherwise I would have enabled telnet and con) as I was first starting to experiment with the box, I was able to successfully get in and look around using the Con port.

But it hasn't worked since. Any thoughts?
    acorncom, May 6, 2009
    1. Advertising