    I am well out of my depth with this. So can somebody pleasehelp me.
    Regrds
    Anthony Lamb

    Anthony, Jun 10, 2004

  2. Anthony

    James Guest

    Anthony wrote:
    > Hi
    > I have just been landed with the unenviable task of trying to set up
    > an 1701 router to connect to the internet via ADSL and have ISDN
    > backup.
    > AAAAAAAAAArgh
    >
    > In the past I was helped through google groups in setting up an 837
    > router for adsl only so I thought it would be worth me trying again as
    > I am well out of my depth with this. So can somebody pleasehelp me.
    > Regrds
    > Anthony Lamb

    I set up a 1721 with Frame Relay and ppp over an async serial port.
    Both links were hot all of the time. The biggest trick was making sure
    you have a version of IOS that allows for ppp over the serial link.
    After that it was just the normal, pain, to configure the router. ISDN
    should not be that much different that ppp over an async serial port.
    If your isdn link results in additional metered fees, then you
    definately want it off except when the wan (adsl) link is down. ADSL
    maps into a Frame host, ATM host, or whatever router/switch, pretty
    much the same a a Frame relay tail circuit.

    I did this for a customer some time ago, and did not save the configs.
    I used IOS 12.1 or 12.2............

    Good luck,

    James

    James, Jun 10, 2004