    router to a standar/factory set of defaults to allow me to start again? Rest
    assured I will make copies of all configuration files next time. Many thanks
    in advance
    Dave Thomas, Jul 18, 2003

  2. Dave Thomas

    Jeff Specoli Guest

    Not sure what you did but:
    Use Hyperterminal to connect to the device, not ConfigMaker. Set
    Hyperterm port to 9600/n/1 and press ENTER a few times to get a
    prompt. That way you can see what state the router is in.

    If you only erased the config (NVRAM) via the write erase command, you
    should get a setup prompt (I think this unlikely as ConfigMaker can't
    access the device)

    or

    if you erased the IOS image itself from flash, you'll get some kind of
    rommon or boot prompt on Hyperterminal. If this is the case, you'll
    have to get another IOS for the 1605 from Cisco's site and restore a
    working IOS on the router via:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer...s214/products_tech_note09186a0080094013.shtml

    Regards.

    Jeff Specoli, Jul 18, 2003

  3. Well, the Cisco Config tool is IMHO a piece of junk. Get rid of that in
    favor
    of Hyperterminal and a command line.

    Once you got that, boot the router and at the > prompt, issue the command

    show version

    then try doing a

    show flash

    and post the results here. Most likely your IOS is intact, we can tell you
    that by looking at the output.

    Beyond that, you really need to go to here:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps214/prod_technical_documentation.html

    and start reading.

    Ted

    Ted Mittelstaedt, Jul 20, 2003