Cisco 1600 router power supply

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Squiggle, Nov 3, 2007.

  1. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm looking at buying a couple of cisco 160x routers for practicing for
    CCNA exams sometime soon and i have noticed a lot of them seem to be on
    trademe without power supplies.

    Just wondering what sort of connector they use?

    I've tried googling but had no luck finding out what the connector is,
    but it appears they need 13.8/14v @ 1A, and it is a 6pin round
    connector. I'm hoping its something standard like a DIN connector so i
    can roll my own PSU for a couple of them.

    Pin1 13.8VDC
    Pin2 13.8VDC
    Pin3 Ground
    Pin4 Ground
    Pin5 Ground
    Pin6 Ground

    If anyone could tell me what type of plug it is that would be most useful.

    Alternatively is there anyone with a couple of spare power supplies that
    wants to flick them my way for a reasonable price?

    TIA

    El Chippy
    Squiggle, Nov 3, 2007

  2. Squiggle

    thingy Guest

    Squiggle wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm looking at buying a couple of cisco 160x routers for practicing for
    > CCNA exams sometime soon and i have noticed a lot of them seem to be on
    > trademe without power supplies.
    >
    > Just wondering what sort of connector they use?
    >
    > I've tried googling but had no luck finding out what the connector is,
    > but it appears they need 13.8/14v @ 1A, and it is a 6pin round
    > connector. I'm hoping its something standard like a DIN connector so i
    > can roll my own PSU for a couple of them.
    >
    > Pin1 13.8VDC
    > Pin2 13.8VDC
    > Pin3 Ground
    > Pin4 Ground
    > Pin5 Ground
    > Pin6 Ground
    >
    > If anyone could tell me what type of plug it is that would be most useful.
    >
    > Alternatively is there anyone with a couple of spare power supplies that
    > wants to flick them my way for a reasonable price?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > El Chippy

    Hi,

    I also had this problem when I wanted to do my CCNA ....... I used a
    PSU i had lying around and went to DSE and got a DIN connector and
    soldered it up. I will try and get the pinout, its pretty easy.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Nov 4, 2007

  3. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Squiggle wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I'm looking at buying a couple of cisco 160x routers for practicing
    >> for CCNA exams sometime soon and i have noticed a lot of them seem to
    >> be on trademe without power supplies.
    >>
    >> Just wondering what sort of connector they use?
    >>
    >> I've tried googling but had no luck finding out what the connector is,
    >> but it appears they need 13.8/14v @ 1A, and it is a 6pin round
    >> connector. I'm hoping its something standard like a DIN connector so i
    >> can roll my own PSU for a couple of them.
    >>
    >> Pin1 13.8VDC
    >> Pin2 13.8VDC
    >> Pin3 Ground
    >> Pin4 Ground
    >> Pin5 Ground
    >> Pin6 Ground
    >>
    >> If anyone could tell me what type of plug it is that would be most
    >> useful.
    >>
    >> Alternatively is there anyone with a couple of spare power supplies
    >> that wants to flick them my way for a reasonable price?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> El Chippy

    > Hi,
    >
    > I also had this problem when I wanted to do my CCNA ....... I used a
    > PSU i had lying around and went to DSE and got a DIN connector and
    > soldered it up. I will try and get the pinout, its pretty easy.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    So it is a DIN connector? full size or mini-DIN?
    Squiggle, Nov 4, 2007
  4. Squiggle

    thingy Guest

    Squiggle wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> Squiggle wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I'm looking at buying a couple of cisco 160x routers for practicing
    >>> for CCNA exams sometime soon and i have noticed a lot of them seem to
    >>> be on trademe without power supplies.
    >>>
    >>> Just wondering what sort of connector they use?
    >>>
    >>> I've tried googling but had no luck finding out what the connector
    >>> is, but it appears they need 13.8/14v @ 1A, and it is a 6pin round
    >>> connector. I'm hoping its something standard like a DIN connector so
    >>> i can roll my own PSU for a couple of them.
    >>>
    >>> Pin1 13.8VDC
    >>> Pin2 13.8VDC
    >>> Pin3 Ground
    >>> Pin4 Ground
    >>> Pin5 Ground
    >>> Pin6 Ground
    >>>
    >>> If anyone could tell me what type of plug it is that would be most
    >>> useful.
    >>>
    >>> Alternatively is there anyone with a couple of spare power supplies
    >>> that wants to flick them my way for a reasonable price?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> El Chippy

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I also had this problem when I wanted to do my CCNA ....... I used a
    >> PSU i had lying around and went to DSE and got a DIN connector and
    >> soldered it up. I will try and get the pinout, its pretty easy.
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > So it is a DIN connector? full size or mini-DIN?

    I did this some years back, I think its a std mini-din...

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Nov 4, 2007
  5. Squiggle

    thingy Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Squiggle wrote:
    >> thingy wrote:

    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I also had this problem when I wanted to do my CCNA ....... I used a
    >>> PSU i had lying around and went to DSE and got a DIN connector and
    >>> soldered it up. I will try and get the pinout, its pretty easy.
    >>>
    >>> regards
    >>>
    >>> Thing

    >> So it is a DIN connector? full size or mini-DIN?

    > I did this some years back, I think its a std mini-din...
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    If you need any serial cables I got mine via the US....you can get a
    male/female one piece unit so you can join two 1600s together
    directly....but remember the yanks think in feet....

    I got a cable thinking it was 1 metre in length only for it to turn up
    as 1 foot!....no biggee for a test bed....but a little short....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Nov 4, 2007