Cisco 1200: IOS Update over Wireless

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Hohenzolern, Jun 15, 2006.

  1. Hohenzolern

    Hohenzolern Guest

    Dear forum comunity,
    I need to update the IOS image on my Cisco 1200 series Access Point
    from 12.2.(13)JA to 12.3.(7)JA.
    Seems like everything described in the manual is clear. Just I have one
    issue that I am afraid of:
    The point is my access point is installed somewhere high on a building
    and physical access to it is somehow limited and complicated. That is,
    physical access to the access point can be achieved by calling special
    personell to climb the building. This is not the most desirable
    situation for me if the Access point fails to work after the IOS
    upgrade. Now my questions are:
    1. Is it possible to do the update over Wireless connection? I will try
    to upgrade through CLI interface using TFTP, and have the /safe flag
    enabled.
    2. Does settings such as IP address, SSID, Radio Channel, Radio Power
    changed after the update and reload?
    3. In short, how you believe, is it possible to update the IOS over
    wireless connection without a trouble?

    Thanks for your comments.

    Kind Regards,
    Hohenzolern

    Hohenzolern, Jun 15, 2006

  2. Hohenzolern,

    Yes, you can upgrade the AP via the wireless connection, but it's rather
    risky. I don't think you can use /safe to upgrade from 12.2(13)JA to
    12.3(7)JA, as I don't think the 8MB of flash will be enough to hold
    both versions of code simultaneously. So I think you'll need to use
    archive download /overwrite ... this will let you TFTP the new code ...
    the risk is if the AP should reload after it's deleted the old image
    but before it's copied in the new image.

    Btw, when you do upgrade, I strongly recommend that you do not use
    12.3(7)JA ... that version had more than its share of bugs. 12.3(7)JA3
    is good and stable.

    Aaron

    ---

[...]
    ~
    ~ Thanks for your comments.
    ~
    ~ Kind Regards,
    ~ Hohenzolern

    Aaron Leonard, Jun 15, 2006

  3. 12.3.8 is best.

    regd.
    Martin

    Martin Bilgrav, Jun 16, 2006
  4. Hohenzolern

    Uli Link Guest

    Martin Bilgrav schrieb:

    > 12.3.8 is best.

    12.3(8)JA2 is even better, nonetheless 12.3(7)JA3 works very reliable
    and proven stable, as long as you do not type "sh cdp entry *" on the
    CLI ;-)

    Telnetting from the wireless side is not sooo risky, but keeping the
    TFTP server on the wired LAN is better. Don't try to upgrade through the
    Web interface.

    The problem with upgrading through wireless connection could be:
    the definition of SSID syntax changed with IOS 12.3. I know that IOS
    12.3(2)JAx understands both the old and new syntax. I don't know if
    12.3(7)JAx or 12.3(8)JAx still are prepared for this transition.

    --
    Uli

    Uli Link, Jun 16, 2006
  5. On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 17:28:40 +0200, Uli Link <> wrote:

    ~ Martin Bilgrav schrieb:
    ~
    ~ > 12.3.8 is best.
    ~
    ~ 12.3(8)JA2 is even better, nonetheless 12.3(7)JA3 works very reliable
    ~ and proven stable, as long as you do not type "sh cdp entry *" on the
    ~ CLI ;-)

    Good to hear that you like 8JA2 ... I mentioned 7JA3 because it has more
    "soak time", but if our latest is also our greatest, that's a good thing.

    ~ Telnetting from the wireless side is not sooo risky, but keeping the
    ~ TFTP server on the wired LAN is better. Don't try to upgrade through the
    ~ Web interface.

    ~ The problem with upgrading through wireless connection could be:
    ~ the definition of SSID syntax changed with IOS 12.3. I know that IOS
    ~ 12.3(2)JAx understands both the old and new syntax. I don't know if
    ~ 12.3(7)JAx or 12.3(8)JAx still are prepared for this transition.

    I just now tested with 8JA2, and it still understands the old SSID syntax
    under the Dot11Radio interface, and converts it to the new global "dot11 ssid"
    syntax.

    Cheers,

    Aaron

    Aaron Leonard, Jun 16, 2006
  6. Hohenzolern

    Uli Link Guest

    Aaron Leonard wrote:

    > Good to hear that you like 8JA2 ... I mentioned 7JA3 because it has more
    > "soak time", but if our latest is also our greatest, that's a good thing.

    My favourite new 12.3(8)JA feature is the improved "sh dot11 ass all".
    It now shows the SNR. Nice. After 2 weeks 1 day uptime in lab without
    problems I'm confident enough for recommending it for smaller production
    environments, keeping in mind that the 12.3(8)JA also worked stable.

    > I just now tested with 8JA2, and it still understands the old SSID syntax
    > under the Dot11Radio interface, and converts it to the new global "dot11 ssid"
    > syntax.

    Good to know.

    --
    Uli

    Uli Link, Jun 17, 2006
  7. Hohenzolern

    Hohenzolern Guest

    Thank you guys for all your posts and recommendations.
    Appreciated!
    Just wanted to give an update of why I decided to upgrade the IOS. I
    want to upgrade it with the hope of avoiding this annoying message and
    frequent disconnections-reassociations:

    "Packet to client xxxx.xxxx.xxxx reached max retries, removing the
    client"

    Here is another forum topic posted by me which never got replies:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp...d7fb40?lnk=st&q=packet to client&rnum=2&hl=en

    I tried to google around... found some foreign language (Polish) posts,
    hardly could figure out some people had alike problem and were able to
    resolve it by updating the IOS.
    Thanks again for your posts!

    Regards,
    Hohenzolern

    Hohenzolern, Jun 17, 2006
  8. Hohenzolern

    BG Guest

    I had a case open to Cisco on this message well over a year ago. they said
    that is just he way it is.

    btw the way I read it 8JA2 has only bug fixes no new features over 7JA2

    BG, Jun 23, 2006
  9. Hohenzolern

    BG Guest

    my bad I there certainly are "new features in 8JA*

    BG, Jun 23, 2006