Cisco 1200 AP and vlan tags/trunks

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by bambock@gmail.com, Sep 30, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I had messed around with the 1230 AP and another layer 3 routing switch
    (see below), and I am at a roadblock. Here is the situation:

    I have configured the AP using VLANS 1 (no SSID, native), 2 (with
    SSID), & 3 (with SSID) as described in Cisco's documentation (link
    below), and I have connected FastEthernet0 to Ethernet 1 on my other
    device. On the secondary device I have VLAN 1 associated with the IP
    address on the same subnet as the BVI1 on the AP. So it looks like
    this:

    [ BVI1 - VLAN1 - 10.10.1.254/24 ] (untagged) - - - - - - - - - [
    ETH1 - VLAN1 - 10.10.1.1/24 ] (untagged)

    At this point I have IP connectivity between the two devices, but the
    hosts on VLANS 2 and 3 which correspond to SSIDs on the wireless side
    have no communication to the VLANS on the secondary device, primary
    because of the untagged/untrunked ports. So in effect the AP and the
    router can talk, but the wireless nodes can't.

    The other side of the coin is that if I enable tagging I can pass the
    traffic of the wireless nodes appropriately, but there is no IP
    connectivity to the BVI1 interface on the AP. In effect the exact
    opposite of the first scenario. Have you anyone ran into this, and if
    so how was it solved?

    [Other L3 Routing Switch]: Alcatel OmniCore 5010 a.k.a Packet Engines
    PowerRail 1000

    [Cisco Docs]:
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/airo1100/accsspts/i1234ja/i1234sc/index.htm

    Any assistance is greatly appreciated,
    Ethan

    , Sep 30, 2005

  2. If you need VLAN to traverse between bridges, you need trunk ports carring
    the vlans between the brigdes.
    I am pretty sure you problem lays within the strange switch you are using.
    Have you tried a Cisco Switch ?

    Martin Bilgrav, Sep 30, 2005

    ~
[...]

    Right, that would be expected behavior. To pass VLANs thru the
    LAN link, you need to be using 802.1q trunking (tagging).

    ~ The other side of the coin is that if I enable tagging I can pass the
    ~ traffic of the wireless nodes appropriately, but there is no IP
    ~ connectivity to the BVI1 interface on the AP. In effect the exact
    ~ opposite of the first scenario. Have you anyone ran into this, and if
    ~ so how was it solved?

    This SHOULD work. I.e. if you have one device with an IP address
    in 10.10.1/24 in native VLAN 1 on one end of an 802.1q capable
    link and another device with another IP address in 10.10.1/24
    in native VLAN 1 on the other end of the 802.1q capable link,
    then they should have layer 3 connectivity.

    If they don't then there's something wrong with the one device
    or with the other device or with the link. Hint: there ain't
    nothing wrong with the AP1230 :)

    Is it possible that someone is using *tagged* VLAN 1 rather than
    *native* VLAN 1?

    Cheers,

    Aaron

    ---