    help is highly appreciated.

    Thanks

    , Jan 8, 2007

  2. Impmon Guest

    On 7 Jan 2007 21:45:07 -0800, ""
    <> wrote:

    >It REALLY upsets me that I have to spend extra money on DVD players
    >that can circumvent region codes (my previous players still work
    >perfectly) and then I still can't play them on my computers. So any
    >help is highly appreciated.

    Computer DVD-ROM (and DVD burner) all have the region code lock to
    prevent people from using the PC to bypass the lock.

    Easiest way: buy a cheap DVD-ROM and set it to the region you want.
    Most DVD-ROM allows you to change region once or twice. So if you
    have one set to region 4 (Europe) and another on 1 (North America) you
    are covered.

    Depending on your drive model, there may be a firmware hack (easy way
    but not as easy as second drive) by doing a google for your drive
    model.

    There are also 3rd party software that works but I had a hard time
    using it when changing different region. YMMV

    Impmon, Jan 8, 2007

  3. Buchetamo Guest

    "Impmon" <> wrote in message
    > On 7 Jan 2007 21:45:07 -0800, ""
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>It REALLY upsets me that I have to spend extra money on DVD players
    >>that can circumvent region codes (my previous players still work
    >>perfectly) and then I still can't play them on my computers. So any
    >>help is highly appreciated.

    > Computer DVD-ROM (and DVD burner) all have the region code lock to
    > prevent people from using the PC to bypass the lock.
    >
    > Easiest way: buy a cheap DVD-ROM and set it to the region you want.
    > Most DVD-ROM allows you to change region once or twice. So if you
    > have one set to region 4 (Europe) and another on 1 (North America) you
    > are covered.
    >
    > Depending on your drive model, there may be a firmware hack (easy way
    > but not as easy as second drive) by doing a google for your drive
    > model.
    >
    > There are also 3rd party software that works but I had a hard time
    > using it when changing different region. YMMV

    Good advice... except Region 4 is NOT Europe. Europe is Region 2, while
    Region 4 is Australia, New Zealand & South America.

    Buchetamo, Jan 8, 2007
  4. TB Guest

    "Impmon" wrote:

    >>It REALLY upsets me that I have to spend extra money on DVD players
    >>that can circumvent region codes (my previous players still work
    >>perfectly) and then I still can't play them on my computers. So any
    >>help is highly appreciated.

    > Computer DVD-ROM (and DVD burner) all have the region code lock to
    > prevent people from using the PC to bypass the lock.
    >
    > Easiest way: buy a cheap DVD-ROM and set it to the region you want.
    > Most DVD-ROM allows you to change region once or twice. So if you
    > have one set to region 4 (Europe) and another on 1 (North America) you
    > are covered.
    >
    > Depending on your drive model, there may be a firmware hack (easy way
    > but not as easy as second drive) by doing a google for your drive
    > model.
    >
    > There are also 3rd party software that works but I had a hard time
    > using it when changing different region. YMMV

    Just download DVD Region Free. Although it's 40 bucks, you'll never need
    another product to circumvent region coding on a pc based dvd player.

    http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm

    Works like a charm and runs descretely with most dvd software.

    And if you're cheap and don't mind using hacked or illegal software, you can
    easily find older versions of this software and similar region code busting
    software for download on various hacker sites using a simple Google search.

    T.B.

    TB, Jan 8, 2007
  5. Manda Guest

    Manda, Jan 8, 2007
  6. CoMa Guest

    CoMa, Jan 9, 2007
  7. CoMa Guest

    CoMa, Jan 9, 2007
  8. Guest

    Impmon wrote:
    > On 7 Jan 2007 21:45:07 -0800, ""
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >It REALLY upsets me that I have to spend extra money on DVD players
    > >that can circumvent region codes (my previous players still work
    > >perfectly) and then I still can't play them on my computers. So any
    > >help is highly appreciated.

    > Computer DVD-ROM (and DVD burner) all have the region code lock to
    > prevent people from using the PC to bypass the lock.
    >
    > Easiest way: buy a cheap DVD-ROM and set it to the region you want.
    > Most DVD-ROM allows you to change region once or twice. So if you
    > have one set to region 4 (Europe) and another on 1 (North America) you
    > are covered.
    >
    > Depending on your drive model, there may be a firmware hack (easy way
    > but not as easy as second drive) by doing a google for your drive
    > model.
    >
    > There are also 3rd party software that works but I had a hard time
    > using it when changing different region. YMMV

    Just download the free VideoLAN VLC Media Player from
    http://www.videolan.org. It will play any region dvds on your region-1
    locked dvd-rom drive with no problems. The FAQ on the website explains
    all about why VLC does this compared to other programs.

    I originally got this program for it's ability to play busted AVI files
    but the ability to play dvds from any region made it even more
    valuable. After discovering this feature of VLC I actually started
    buying more dvds from outside the USA since I no longer had to worry
    about what I would replace my failing Apex 600a legacy player with when
    it finally kicked the bucket.

    , Jan 10, 2007
  9. wrote:

    >I no longer had to worry
    >about what I would replace my failing Apex 600a legacy player with when
    >it finally kicked the bucket.

    OMG--that was a great player in the sense that it first unlocked the region
    codes, but for actually watching DVDs it was a POS. There are gazillions of
    players out there that are region-free-capable and work a whole lot better.
    The best I've found so far is the Oppo 970.

    Kimba W. Lion, Jan 10, 2007
  10. Doug Jacobs Guest

    In alt.video.dvd Kimba W. Lion <KimbaWLion> wrote:

    > OMG--that was a great player in the sense that it first unlocked the region
    > codes, but for actually watching DVDs it was a POS. There are gazillions of
    > players out there that are region-free-capable and work a whole lot better.
    > The best I've found so far is the Oppo 970.

    I've read about the Oppo, and am intrigued. How does the Oppo do region
    free? Do you need to hack it, or is it an 'easter egg', or ...? We'll be
    getting a HDTV within the next few months and the next thing to upgrade
    will be the DVD player.

    --
    Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!
    http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=amuro98

    Doug Jacobs, Jan 24, 2007
  11. Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    Doug Jacobs <> wrote:
    >In alt.video.dvd Kimba W. Lion <KimbaWLion> wrote:
    >
    >> OMG--that was a great player in the sense that it first unlocked the region
    >> codes, but for actually watching DVDs it was a POS. There are gazillions of
    >> players out there that are region-free-capable and work a whole lot better.
    >> The best I've found so far is the Oppo 970.

    >I've read about the Oppo, and am intrigued. How does the Oppo do region
    >free? Do you need to hack it, or is it an 'easter egg', or ...? We'll be
    >getting a HDTV within the next few months and the next thing to upgrade
    >will be the DVD player.

    Simple hack using the regular remote control.

    Mike S., Jan 25, 2007
  12. Doug Jacobs Guest

    In alt.video.dvd Mike S. <> wrote:

    > >I've read about the Oppo, and am intrigued. How does the Oppo do region
    > >free? Do you need to hack it, or is it an 'easter egg', or ...? We'll be
    > >getting a HDTV within the next few months and the next thing to upgrade
    > >will be the DVD player.

    > Simple hack using the regular remote control.

    Ah. Thanks. I found details via google.

    Doug Jacobs, Jan 29, 2007