    Many thanks.
    --
    Mike Bending

    Mike Bending, Oct 23, 2005

  2. "Mike Bending" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Some pictures taken with a Canon A95 show discoloured circles - see
    > http://www.bending.demon.co.uk/circles.JPG
    > Most pictures do not have this problem, but those that do show the
    > circles in different positions and different intensities.
    >
    > I guess this is condensation, but it does not seem to be associated
    > with changes in temperature.
    >
    > Please could someone confirm whether this is condensation and if it is
    > curable. Is it a problem specific to certain cameras - I have never
    > seen it with my Nikon 885?
    >
    > Many thanks.
    > --
    > Mike Bending

    Maybe like crop circles they are caused by aliens trying to tell us
    something. :)

    Gerrit

    Gerrit 't Hart, Oct 23, 2005

  3. Mike Bending wrote:
    > Some pictures taken with a Canon A95 show discoloured circles - see
    > http://www.bending.demon.co.uk/circles.JPG
    > Most pictures do not have this problem, but those that do show the
    > circles in different positions and different intensities.
    >
    > I guess this is condensation, but it does not seem to be associated
    > with changes in temperature.
    >
    > Please could someone confirm whether this is condensation and if it is
    > curable. Is it a problem specific to certain cameras - I have never
    > seen it with my Nikon 885?

    Fine dust particles, very near the camera, illuminated by the flash.

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 23, 2005
  4. Mike Bending

    John L.Brown Guest

    John L.Brown, Oct 23, 2005
  5. Mike Bending

    Annika1980 Guest

    >Fine dust particles, very near the camera, illuminated by the flash.

    Wrong. It's obviously flare from the light sources. The circles even
    line up in the smae pattern as the lights.

    Or maybe they were just "Bad Composition Indicators?"

    Annika1980, Oct 23, 2005
  6. Mike Bending

    Annika1980 Guest

    >Fine dust particles, very near the camera, illuminated by the flash.

    Wrong. It's obviously flare from the light sources. The circles even
    line up in the same pattern as the lights.

    Or maybe they were just "Bad Composition Indicators?"

    Annika1980, Oct 23, 2005
  7. Mike Bending

    EF in FLA Guest

    > Or maybe they were just "Bad Composition Indicators?"

    Seriously. They should be cropped out so it's a non-issue. (Hopefully he
    just left them in so he could ask what they were.....)

    ef

    EF in FLA, Oct 23, 2005
  8. Annika1980 wrote:

    http://www.bending.demon.co.uk/circles.JPG

    >> Fine dust particles, very near the camera, illuminated by the flash.

    > Wrong. It's obviously flare from the light sources. The circles even
    > line up in the same pattern as the lights.
    >
    > Or maybe they were just "Bad Composition Indicators?"

    Maybe, Bret. I did think at the time that the edges of the circles didn't
    look quite like the flash-illuminated dust I've seen before. If, in the
    same environment, the circles don't appear when the lights are well out of
    the field of view, I would agree with you.

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 23, 2005
  9. Mike Bending

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 23 Oct 2005 06:03:57 -0700, "Annika1980" <>
    wrote:

    >>Fine dust particles, very near the camera, illuminated by the flash.

    >Wrong. It's obviously flare from the light sources. The circles even
    >line up in the same pattern as the lights.

    I don't think so.
    The circles don't line up with any lights in such a fashion that
    *only* these circles would result.
    IOW, if they are flares from lights, which ones? And why not from
    other, very close, lights?

    I agree with the dust theory.

    >Or maybe they were just "Bad Composition Indicators?"

    Could be. Or this is a crop.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Oct 23, 2005
  10. Mike Bending

    Mike Bending Guest

    Many thanks for your suggestions so far. From the conditions in the
    hall, dust would seem quite likely.

    If it was flare why would it appear as circles? This is a
    non-rhetorical question, I would like to understand.

    To close one discussion point, it is a crop.

    Mike

    --
    Mike Bending

    Mike Bending, Oct 23, 2005
  11. Mike Bending

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Mike Bending wrote:

    > Some pictures taken with a Canon A95 show discoloured circles - see
    > http://www.bending.demon.co.uk/circles.JPG
    > Most pictures do not have this problem, but those that do show the
    > circles in different positions and different intensities.
    >
    > I guess this is condensation, but it does not seem to be associated
    > with changes in temperature.
    >
    > Please could someone confirm whether this is condensation and if it is
    > curable. Is it a problem specific to certain cameras - I have never
    > seen it with my Nikon 885?

    It's dust that was illuminated by the flash.

    The very small sensors and tiny focal lengths used in
    point and shoot digital cameras allow small bits of dust
    floating in front of the lens to be somewhat in focus.

    Because the flash is inches from the lens, it exacerbates the
    problem by brightly lighting up any dust that might be floating
    in front of the lens. This causes those white flares you see.

    Other than not using the flash, or not shooting in a dusty room,
    there's not much you can do about it..

    Jim Townsend, Oct 23, 2005
  12. Mike Bending

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:03:15 +0100, Mike Bending
    <> wrote:

    >Many thanks for your suggestions so far. From the conditions in the
    >hall, dust would seem quite likely.
    >
    >If it was flare why would it appear as circles? This is a
    >non-rhetorical question, I would like to understand.
    >
    >To close one discussion point, it is a crop.

    Yesssssss! <pumping arm>
    :)

    Bill Funk, Oct 24, 2005
  13. Mike Bending

    Mark² Guest

    Mike Bending wrote:
    > Some pictures taken with a Canon A95 show discoloured circles - see
    > http://www.bending.demon.co.uk/circles.JPG
    > Most pictures do not have this problem, but those that do show the
    > circles in different positions and different intensities.
    >
    > I guess this is condensation, but it does not seem to be associated
    > with changes in temperature.
    >
    > Please could someone confirm whether this is condensation and if it is
    > curable. Is it a problem specific to certain cameras - I have never
    > seen it with my Nikon 885?
    >
    > Many thanks.

    Dust in the air...near your flash?

    Mark², Oct 24, 2005
  14. Mike Bending

    Jiddu Guest

    In article <>,
    "Annika1980" <> wrote:

    > >Fine dust particles, very near the camera, illuminated by the flash.

    > Wrong. It's obviously flare from the light sources. The circles even
    > line up in the smae pattern as the lights.
    >
    > Or maybe they were just "Bad Composition Indicators?"

    Wrong. He was right.

    http://thepathlessland.blogspot.com/

    Jiddu, Oct 24, 2005
  15. Mike Bending

    Jiddu Guest

    Jiddu, Oct 24, 2005
  16. Mike Bending

    Mark² Guest

    Bill Funk wrote:
    > On 23 Oct 2005 06:03:57 -0700, "Annika1980" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> Fine dust particles, very near the camera, illuminated by the flash.

    >> Wrong. It's obviously flare from the light sources. The circles
    >> even line up in the same pattern as the lights.

    > I don't think so.
    > The circles don't line up with any lights in such a fashion that
    > *only* these circles would result.
    > IOW, if they are flares from lights, which ones? And why not from
    > other, very close, lights?
    >
    > I agree with the dust theory.
    >>
    >> Or maybe they were just "Bad Composition Indicators?"

    > Could be. Or this is a crop.

    If it's not a crop, it's one of the worst frame-jobs in history...
    :)
    I think it's a crop too, and...I think it's more likely dust, though it is
    very strange for dust-shine...

    Mark², Oct 24, 2005
  17. Mike Bending

    Roe Thomas Guest

    I followed your URLs, the dust experiment well matched my experience.
    Though I've not the documentation that you do. You and Yours have a nice,
    make that a great day. Roe

    Roe Thomas, Oct 25, 2005