    camera flash photos?

    This was with a Fujifilm S5100.

    Thanks.

    TheBreeze, Nov 23, 2006

  2. TheBreeze

    Eric Miller Guest

    TheBreeze wrote:
    > I was shooting a wrestling meet the other day. The lighting was poor enough
    > to where I tried to shoot at ASA 400, and ended up using flash. Many of the
    > photos have a circle of light, as if some water had gotten onto or into the
    > lens. I did take some football pics during a slight drizzle, and got a few
    > photos with flare due to water drops, but no photos since then have had a
    > problem. Also, I don't see the flare or "drops" without flash.
    >
    > Was I getting reflection from some surfaces? Is there really something wrong
    > with the camera or water inside? Is this something that happens with digital
    > camera flash photos?
    >
    > This was with a Fujifilm S5100.
    >
    > Thanks.

    It would be very helpful if you could post a link to the photos in question.

    Eric Miller

    Eric Miller, Nov 23, 2006

  3. TheBreeze

    Mike Russell Guest

    "TheBreeze" <> wrote in message
    >I was shooting a wrestling meet the other day. The lighting was poor enough
    > to where I tried to shoot at ASA 400, and ended up using flash. Many of
    > the
    > photos have a circle of light, as if some water had gotten onto or into
    > the
    > lens. I did take some football pics during a slight drizzle, and got a few
    > photos with flare due to water drops, but no photos since then have had a
    > problem. Also, I don't see the flare or "drops" without flash.
    >
    > Was I getting reflection from some surfaces? Is there really something
    > wrong
    > with the camera or water inside? Is this something that happens with
    > digital
    > camera flash photos?

    > This was with a Fujifilm S5100.

    This sounds like the flash has illuminated dust or other particles in the
    air immediately in front of the lens.
    --
    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    Mike Russell, Nov 23, 2006
  4. On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 14:29:03 +0000, TheBreeze wrote:

    > I was shooting a wrestling meet the other day. The lighting was poor
    > enough to where I tried to shoot at ASA 400, and ended up using flash.
    > Many of the photos have a circle of light, as if some water had gotten
    > onto or into the lens. I did take some football pics during a slight
    > drizzle, and got a few photos with flare due to water drops, but no
    > photos since then have had a problem. Also, I don't see the flare or
    > "drops" without flash.

    Would be helpful if you could put the picture on a webpage & post the
    url. From the description it sounds like an "orb". See the link below

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orb_(paranormal)

    --

    Gautam Majumdar

    Please send e-mails to

    Gautam Majumdar, Nov 23, 2006
  5. TheBreeze

    Ron Hunter Guest

    TheBreeze wrote:
    > I was shooting a wrestling meet the other day. The lighting was poor enough
    > to where I tried to shoot at ASA 400, and ended up using flash. Many of the
    > photos have a circle of light, as if some water had gotten onto or into the
    > lens. I did take some football pics during a slight drizzle, and got a few
    > photos with flare due to water drops, but no photos since then have had a
    > problem. Also, I don't see the flare or "drops" without flash.
    >
    > Was I getting reflection from some surfaces? Is there really something wrong
    > with the camera or water inside? Is this something that happens with digital
    > camera flash photos?
    >
    > This was with a Fujifilm S5100.
    >
    > Thanks.

    dust in the air. This kind of circle will usually appear on flash
    pictures if the air is dusty. I know of no cure for it, other than to
    redirect the flash away from the front (bounce flash).

    Ron Hunter, Nov 23, 2006
  6. TheBreeze

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 09:29:03 -0500, TheBreeze wrote:

    > I was shooting a wrestling meet the other day. The lighting was poor enough
    > to where I tried to shoot at ASA 400, and ended up using flash. Many of the
    > photos have a circle of light, as if some water had gotten onto or into the
    > lens. I did take some football pics during a slight drizzle, and got a few
    > photos with flare due to water drops, but no photos since then have had a
    > problem. Also, I don't see the flare or "drops" without flash.
    >
    > Was I getting reflection from some surfaces? Is there really something wrong
    > with the camera or water inside? Is this something that happens with digital
    > camera flash photos?

    If they're the dust "orbs" that others have mentioned, it's not
    restricted to digital flash photos. You'll see them on film too.

    > This was with a Fujifilm S5100.

    I have an S5100 also and haven't seen what you're describing.
    Were the circles small and numerous or few (or just one) and large?
    Dust might be responsible for the former. If the latter, it may
    just be a coincidence that you were using flash and the ring(s)
    might appear even if the flash was disabled. In dim light, any
    bright lights almost, but not actually in the picture might cause
    noticeable flare. I assume that the wrestling ring was lit by
    bright lights. Were they close enough to the ring so that even if
    they didn't appear directly on the sensor, they were close enough to
    have an effect, or were they well off axis? If it was flare causing
    the problem, a rolled up cardboard tube used as a makeshift lens
    hood might reduce or eliminate the light circle. If the problem was
    caused by dust "orbs", be thankful that you didn't have to deal with
    snow. :)

    ASAAR, Nov 24, 2006