    http://www.flickr.com/photos/35877005@N03/4127152735/

    Thanks
    Mike
    MikeM, Nov 23, 2009

  2. MikeM

    MC Guest

    MikeM wrote:

    > A friend asked me what could be causing the circles on his photos such
    > as
    > the one on Flickr. Other photos in the series had a number of smaller
    > circles that are in different positions on each photo. Any suggestions
    > what
    > might be causing it?
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/35877005@N03/4127152735/
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mike

    Dust or water particles reflecting light from the flash.

    MC
    MC, Nov 23, 2009

  3. MikeM

    SayWhat Guest

    On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:57:00 GMT, MikeM <> wrote:

    >A friend asked me what could be causing the circles on his photos such
    >as
    >the one on Flickr. Other photos in the series had a number of smaller
    >circles that are in different positions on each photo. Any suggestions
    >what
    >might be causing it?
    >
    >http://www.flickr.com/photos/35877005@N03/4127152735/
    >
    >Thanks
    >Mike

    Those are spirits and ghosts. Commonly known as "orbs" in the nu-ager
    spiritual community. The one in your image seems to be attached to that gal
    in front of the camera. No doubt a long-dead relative that came to enjoy
    the concert with her. You can find thousands of sites online where people
    post these "orb" photos as physical proof of spiritual entities.

    Only special photography equipment can capture their presence. Smaller
    compact cameras where the built-in flash is very close to the front lens
    element seems important to attract these ghostly spirits. Those compact
    cameras which have lenses of wider apertures seem to capture the largest
    orbs as well. Some suspect this is due to the shallower DOF making nearer
    out-of-focus orbs appear larger than they actually are. These scary "orbs"
    tend to not hang around cameras where the flash is further away from the
    lens or when using off-camera flash units. Consequently, they never show up
    at all when flash is not used.

    I think it has something to do with the huge electrical potential in the
    flash unit in close proximity of the precise curvatures of the focusing
    glass. Not unlike how ball-lighting is formed during intense electrical
    storms. Or a crystal-ball can focus the energies of the dead or of the
    future. The camera's design sets up an energy vortex comprised of the
    glass' (earth & water) elemental energies with the flash's (air & fire)
    elemental energies. This differential of all four element-energies of such
    purity and power being so close to each other all at once seem to attract
    and capture these "orbs" in their travels through spiritual planes, just
    long enough to photograph them.

    Or ...

    It might just be air-borne dust close to the front of the camera lens when
    the built-in flash fires.

    It's difficult to say which. It all depends on how boring and psychotic
    your life has become as to which you will choose as the most plausible
    explanation.

    :)
    SayWhat, Nov 23, 2009
  4. MikeM

    Martin Brown Guest

    MikeM wrote:
    > A friend asked me what could be causing the circles on his photos such
    > as
    > the one on Flickr. Other photos in the series had a number of smaller
    > circles that are in different positions on each photo. Any suggestions
    > what
    > might be causing it?
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/35877005@N03/4127152735/

    Dust in the air near the camera very out of focus and strongly
    illuminated by the built in flash.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Nov 23, 2009
  5. "Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > MikeM wrote:
    >> A friend asked me what could be causing the circles on his photos such
    >> as the one on Flickr. Other photos in the series had a number of
    >> smaller circles that are in different positions on each photo. Any
    >> suggestions
    >> what might be causing it?
    >>
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/35877005@N03/4127152735/

    > Dust in the air near the camera very out of focus and strongly
    > illuminated by the built in flash.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Martin Brown

    ... and more likely to be seen with P&S cameras as they have a greater
    depth of field, and have the flash axially closer to the taking lens.
    Less prevalent with DSLRs.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 23, 2009
  6. On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 15:01:36 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

    >"Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> MikeM wrote:
    >>> A friend asked me what could be causing the circles on his photos such
    >>> as the one on Flickr. Other photos in the series had a number of
    >>> smaller circles that are in different positions on each photo. Any
    >>> suggestions
    >>> what might be causing it?
    >>>
    >>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/35877005@N03/4127152735/

    >> Dust in the air near the camera very out of focus and strongly
    >> illuminated by the built in flash.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Martin Brown

    >.. and more likely to be seen with P&S cameras

    And yet, I have never seen even one in the hundreds of thousands of
    photographs that I've taken with my P&S cameras.

    > as they have a greater depth of field,

    Which would make them smaller and less apparent if all other lighting and
    subject positionings were also equal.

    > and have the flash axially closer to the taking lens.
    >Less prevalent with DSLRs.

    Only due to the DSLRs gargantuan and ungainly size. It's not due to quality
    issues of any sort. Only the proximity of a flash to the lens is what
    causes this. Nothing more. Use a flash in a hot-shoe on a P&S camera (many
    have them), or use an off-camera flash with a slave unit, shielding the
    built-in flash from emitting light forward, and the problem becomes
    non-existent for all P&S cameras.
    The DSLR-Troll's Correction Officer, Nov 23, 2009
  7. MikeM

    MC Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:

    > "Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > MikeM wrote:
    > > > A friend asked me what could be causing the circles on his photos
    > > > such as the one on Flickr. Other photos in the series had a
    > > > number of smaller circles that are in different positions on
    > > > each photo. Any suggestions what might be causing it?
    > > >
    > > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/35877005@N03/4127152735/

    > > Dust in the air near the camera very out of focus and strongly
    > > illuminated by the built in flash.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Martin Brown

    > .. and more likely to be seen with P&S cameras as they have a greater
    > depth of field, and have the flash axially closer to the taking lens.
    > Less prevalent with DSLRs.

    This is correct.

    MC
    MC, Nov 23, 2009
  8. MikeM

    MC Guest

    The DSLR-Troll's Correction Officer wrote:

    > On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 15:01:36 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-part.co.uk.invalid>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >"Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

    > such >>> as the one on Flickr. Other photos in the series had a
    > number of >>> smaller circles that are in different positions on each
    > photo. Any >>> suggestions

    > >> Dust in the air near the camera very out of focus and strongly
    > >> illuminated by the built in flash.
    > > >
    > >> Regards,
    > >> Martin Brown

    > > .. and more likely to be seen with P&S cameras

    > And yet, I have never seen even one in the hundreds of thousands of
    > photographs that I've taken with my P&S cameras.

    Normally only effects digital cameras as the sensor is more sensitive
    in the extremes of colour spectrum that film. About time you went
    digital if a P&S is all you can muster.

    > > as they have a greater depth of field,

    > Which would make them smaller and less apparent if all other lighting
    > and subject positionings were also equal.

    Depends how close the particle was to the lens.

    > > and have the flash axially closer to the taking lens.
    > > Less prevalent with DSLRs.

    > Only due to the DSLRs gargantuan and ungainly size. It's not due to
    > quality issues of any sort. Only the proximity of a flash to the lens
    > is what causes this. Nothing more. Use a flash in a hot-shoe on a P&S
    > camera (many have them) ...

    ....and lot of them don't.

    > ...or use an off-camera flash with a slave
    > unit, shielding the built-in flash from emitting light forward, and
    > the problem becomes non-existent for all P&S cameras.

    Bit of a hassle though, don't you think? Eliminates the whole point of
    P&S, something easy and quick to use in a snap shot situation. First
    you moan about the size and weight of a an dSLR then you advocate
    lugging around half a ton of flash gear. Unbelievable.

    MC
    MC, Nov 23, 2009
  9. MikeM

    Ray Fischer Guest

    The DSLR-Troll's Correction Officer <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 15:01:36 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    ><-this-bit.nor-this-part.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>"Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

    >>> Dust in the air near the camera very out of focus and strongly
    >>> illuminated by the built in flash.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Martin Brown

    >>.. and more likely to be seen with P&S cameras

    >And yet, I have never seen even one in the hundreds of thousands of
    >photographs that I've taken with my P&S cameras.

    You don't take pictures, asshole troll.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Nov 23, 2009
  10. MikeM

    Martin Brown Guest

    MC wrote:
    > David J Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> "Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

    >>> Dust in the air near the camera very out of focus and strongly
    >>> illuminated by the built in flash.

    >> .. and more likely to be seen with P&S cameras as they have a greater
    >> depth of field, and have the flash axially closer to the taking lens.
    >> Less prevalent with DSLRs.

    > This is correct.

    Although it can still happen with an SLR or DSLR if the flash is too
    close to the lens axis and the air is a bit dusty - eg at a barn dance.

    A very brutal version is in a blizzard if the flash goes off.

    Incidentally has anyone else seen the warning on the new Ixus 100 etc
    which says words to the effect that the flash intensity out of the tiny
    window is so high it will inflict burns if you put your finger over it
    and it definitely vapourises organic dust in a puff of smoke!

    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Nov 23, 2009
  11. MikeM

    MC Guest

    Martin Brown wrote:

    > MC wrote:
    > > David J Taylor wrote:
    > >
    > >>"Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

    > > > .. and more likely to be seen with P&S cameras as they have a
    > > > greater depth of field, and have the flash axially closer to the
    > > > taking lens. Less prevalent with DSLRs.

    > > This is correct.

    > Although it can still happen with an SLR or DSLR if the flash is too
    > close to the lens axis and the air is a bit dusty - eg at a barn
    > dance.
    >
    > A very brutal version is in a blizzard if the flash goes off.
    >
    > Incidentally has anyone else seen the warning on the new Ixus 100 etc
    > which says words to the effect that the flash intensity out of the
    > tiny window is so high it will inflict burns if you put your finger
    > over it and it definitely vapourises organic dust in a puff of smoke!

    Mmmm...if it burns enough to cause injury it would not be allowed.
    Flashes do let off a lot of heat, after all the flash is indeed an
    intense concentration of light. However, enough to to vapourise dust?
    Maybe around the element itself but not outside the camera.

    MC
    MC, Nov 23, 2009
  12. MikeM

    SayWhat Guest

    On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:53:17 -0500, rwalker <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 08:49:08 -0600, SayWhat <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:57:00 GMT, MikeM <> wrote:
    >>

    >snip
    >
    >>and capture these "orbs" in their travels through spiritual planes, just
    >>long enough to photograph them.
    >>
    >>Or ...
    >>
    >>It might just be air-borne dust close to the front of the camera lens when
    >>the built-in flash fires.
    >>
    >>It's difficult to say which. It all depends on how boring and psychotic
    >>your life has become as to which you will choose as the most plausible
    >>explanation.
    >>
    >>:)

    >Check out some of the "ghost photographs" web sites. Shots of camera
    >straps are "vortices" from other dimensions, fogged up lenses are
    >ghosts, cigarette smoke is ghosts, water vapor in your breath on a
    >cold day is a ghost. Lens flare is ghosts. Smudges on windows are
    >ghostly faces. The important thing to note is that your photos aren't
    >bad, you have simply photographed another plane of existence.

    Yes, I've seen those. :) I was so hoping someone would reply,

    "Orbs it is, then!"

    LOL
    SayWhat, Nov 23, 2009
  13. MikeM

    Martin Brown Guest

    MC wrote:
    > Martin Brown wrote:
    >
    >> MC wrote:

    >>> This is correct.

    >> Although it can still happen with an SLR or DSLR if the flash is too
    >> close to the lens axis and the air is a bit dusty - eg at a barn
    >> dance.
    >>
    >> A very brutal version is in a blizzard if the flash goes off.
    >>
    >> Incidentally has anyone else seen the warning on the new Ixus 100 etc
    >> which says words to the effect that the flash intensity out of the
    >> tiny window is so high it will inflict burns if you put your finger
    >> over it and it definitely vapourises organic dust in a puff of smoke!

    > Mmmm...if it burns enough to cause injury it would not be allowed.

    Why not? Plenty of devices are close to borderline of being capable of
    causing injury if misused. Kettles for instance.

    > Flashes do let off a lot of heat, after all the flash is indeed an
    > intense concentration of light. However, enough to to vapourise dust?
    > Maybe around the element itself but not outside the camera.

    I am not kidding. I'll find the safety warning card which is clearly an
    addition. The warning says do not obscure the flash with your finger or
    third degree burns may result. The flash window on it is tiny!

    The main manual only says do not take flash photos of a baby at closer
    than 1m distance. The afterthought warning is on the packing list card
    labelled "CAUTION: Read Reverse" and that says in several languages..

    --exact verbatim quote UK instruction card ---
    Caution
    When using the flash, be careful not to cover it with your fingers or
    clothing. This could result in burns or damage to the flash. In regular
    use, small amounts of smoke may be emitted from the flash. This is due
    to the high intensity of the flash burning dust and foreign materials
    stuck to the front of the unit. Please use a cotton swab to remove dirt,
    dust or other foreign matter from the flash to prevent heat build up and
    damage to the unit.
    --end quote --

    Even an ordinary high guide number flashgun of the classic 2x1" aperture
    type will cook flies at point blank range if they are unlucky enough to
    be on the front surface when it fires. They don't work too well after
    being flash boiled and spiral to the ground.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Nov 23, 2009
  14. "rwalker" <> wrote in message > Check out some of the
    "ghost photographs" web sites. Shots of camera
    > straps are "vortices" from other dimensions, fogged up lenses are
    > ghosts, cigarette smoke is ghosts, water vapor in your breath on a
    > cold day is a ghost. Lens flare is ghosts. Smudges on windows are
    > ghostly faces. The important thing to note is that your photos aren't
    > bad, you have simply photographed another plane of existence.

    I took some photos in my bathroom one day and about 3 of them had what
    looked exactly like ghost plasma I've seen in photos claiming to be spirit
    plasma, blue smoky band, tried to reproduce it and never could.
    Don Lope de Aguirre, Nov 24, 2009
  15. Don Lope de Aguirre wrote:
    > "rwalker" <> wrote in message > Check out some of
    > the "ghost photographs" web sites. Shots of camera
    >> straps are "vortices" from other dimensions, fogged up lenses are
    >> ghosts, cigarette smoke is ghosts, water vapor in your breath on a
    >> cold day is a ghost. Lens flare is ghosts. Smudges on windows are
    >> ghostly faces. The important thing to note is that your photos aren't
    >> bad, you have simply photographed another plane of existence.

    > I took some photos in my bathroom one day and about 3 of them had what
    > looked exactly like ghost plasma I've seen in photos claiming to be
    > spirit plasma, blue smoky band, tried to reproduce it and never could.

    Were you shooting into the mirror and instead of your reflection you saw
    the dreaded plasma?

    That isn't good. I hope you have Medicaid or some such, but it's
    probably not covered.

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Nov 24, 2009
  16. MC <> wrote:

    > However, enough to to vapourise dust?
    > Maybe around the element itself but not outside the camera.

    Old (used bought) 550ex flash with a ... uhm, somewhat darkened
    flash window. Released slight, but clearly visible smoke curls
    from said slightly opaque plastic whenever fired at full power.
    Looked like smoke from a burning cigarette.

    And that's a comparatively huge window ...

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Nov 25, 2009
  17. rwalker <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 09:19:11 -0600, The DSLR-Troll's Correction
    >>On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 15:01:36 GMT, "David J Taylor"

    >>And yet, I have never seen even one in the hundreds of thousands of
    >>photographs that I've taken with my P&S cameras.

    > Try taking the lens cap off.

    The slime would have to *buy* a camera to take off a lens cap.

    It's far easier to *steal* DSLR shots from flickr and 'show'
    them using tiny sizes and anonymous and soon (if not always)
    invalid URLs instead of ones like
    | http://www.flickr.com/photos/35877005@N03/4127152735/
    and claim they're the slime's handheld, shot in complete darkness,
    etc. etc. etc. P&S shots. Which explains the "hundreds of
    thousands of photographs" claim: flickr is huge.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Nov 25, 2009
  18. MikeM

    Bhogi Guest

    On 23 nov., 22:37, Martin Brown <|||>
    wrote:
    > MC wrote:
    > > Martin Brown wrote:

    > >> Although it can still happen with an SLR or DSLR if the flash is too
    > >> close to the lens axis and the air is a bit dusty - eg at a barn
    > >> dance.

    > >> A very brutal version is in a blizzard if the flash goes off.

    > >> Incidentally has anyone else seen the warning on the new Ixus 100 etc
    > >> which says words to the effect that the flash intensity out of the
    > >> tiny window is so high it will inflict burns if you put your finger
    > >> over it and it definitely vapourises organic dust in a puff of smoke!

    > > Mmmm...if it burns enough to cause injury it would not be allowed.

    > Why not? Plenty of devices are close to borderline of being capable of
    > causing injury if misused. Kettles for instance.
    >
    > > Flashes do let off a lot of heat, after all the flash is indeed an
    > > intense concentration of light.  However, enough to to vapourise dust?
    > > Maybe around the element itself but not outside the camera.

    > I am not kidding. I'll find the safety warning card which is clearly an
    > addition. The warning says do not obscure the flash with your finger or
    > third degree burns may result. The flash window on it is tiny!
    >
    > The main manual only says do not take flash photos of a baby at closer
    > than 1m distance. The afterthought warning is on the packing list card
    > labelled "CAUTION: Read Reverse" and that says in several languages..
    >
    > --exact verbatim quote UK instruction card ---
    > Caution
    > When using the flash, be careful not to cover it with your fingers or
    > clothing. This could result in burns or damage to the flash. In regular
    > use, small amounts of smoke may be emitted from the flash. This is due
    > to the high intensity of the flash burning dust and foreign materials
    > stuck to the front of the unit. Please use a cotton swab to remove dirt,
    > dust or other foreign matter from the flash to prevent heat build up and
    > damage to the unit.
    > --end quote --
    >
    > Even an ordinary high guide number flashgun of the classic 2x1" aperture
    > type will cook flies at point blank range if they are unlucky enough to
    > be on the front surface when it fires. They don't work too well after
    > being flash boiled and spiral to the ground.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Martin Brown

    My Canon 430EX fits your description. It is true that its flash is
    blinding at full power to the near wall, but it burns nothing. Out of
    curiosity I flashed it full power touching my skin and I can feel some
    instantaneous heat but far from it being able to burn anything. 2x1"
    is a large area compared to P&S flashes.
    Bhogi, Nov 26, 2009