CIM shutdown Domain BackUp

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by JohnNews, Dec 3, 2003.

  1. JohnNews

    JohnNews Guest

    Folks:

    * I would like to create backup copies of my switch and router images.
    What is the syntax of the command to copy these software images from the
    switch/router to drive C of my PC or Lap Top ?

    * I have a small home network and now I have a switch/router to attach to
    my network.
    How important or critical (ADVANTAGES) is it to give my router/switch
    the same domain name as the domain name of my home network ?

    * Windows based computers can be shutdown gracefully (Ctrl + Alt + Del).
    When I want to turn off a router I usually just flip the ON/OFF switch on
    the device.
    I wonder if turning off a router, in this manner, will have any adverse
    effects on my router/switch over time ? Is there an IOS command to turn off
    (shutdown) the router ?

    * Is CIM (Cisco Interactive Mentor) readily from Cisco's web site without
    special passwords ?

    Thanks,
    John.
    JohnNews, Dec 3, 2003

  2. JohnNews

    Bernie Guest

    On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 12:54:25 GMT, "JohnNews" <>
    wrote:

    >Folks:
    >

    >* I would like to create backup copies of my switch and router images.
    > What is the syntax of the command to copy these software images from the
    >switch/router to drive C of my PC or Lap Top ?
    >
    >* I have a small home network and now I have a switch/router to attach to
    >my network.
    > How important or critical (ADVANTAGES) is it to give my router/switch
    >the same domain name as the domain name of my home network ?
    >
    >* Windows based computers can be shutdown gracefully (Ctrl + Alt + Del).
    >When I want to turn off a router I usually just flip the ON/OFF switch on
    >the device.
    > I wonder if turning off a router, in this manner, will have any adverse
    >effects on my router/switch over time ?

    None really. Unlike a PC, there is very little that needs to be
    written to flash on a constant basis. If you change a config, it is
    written to flash. But as long as you don't deliberately try to power
    it down right after saving a config or while uploading software there
    is almost no chance of a problem. And even then a lot of gear out
    there is made so that it can recover from even those events by rolling
    back to previous configs or previous software (or something to that
    effect).

    There is really no reason a PC should have these problems either, but
    we consumers tolerate non-journalling file systems (etc.) on our PCs.
    If we demanded more, MS wouldn't get away with selling us such
    non-robust crappy software.

    >Is there an IOS command to turn off
    >(shutdown) the router ?
    >
    >* Is CIM (Cisco Interactive Mentor) readily from Cisco's web site without
    >special passwords ?
    >

    >Thanks,
    >John.

    --Bernie