chrome?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by William W. Plummer, Aug 13, 2004.

  1. Can somebody tell me about chrome?
     
    William W. Plummer, Aug 13, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. William W. Plummer

    .BRIAN. Guest

    .BRIAN., Aug 13, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. William W. Plummer

    slacK_ Guest

    slacK_, Aug 13, 2004
    #3
  4. William W. Plummer

    Gordon Abbot Guest

    ..BRIAN. wrote:
    > William W. Plummer wrote:
    >
    >> Can somebody tell me about chrome?

    >
    >
    > Geezz... how lazy the world has become:
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.org/xpfe/ConfigChromeSpec.html
    >
    > *Amazingly* found via Google... first link: http://tinyurl.com/4yq54
    >


    Can somebody tell me about Google?

    :)

    Actually, for someone new to computers, even what a search engine is can
    be a bit daunting.

    I remember my first instance of "the buried shovel" when I had a problem
    booting up my computer and the manual said the info I needed was easily
    found on the manufacturer's website.

    GA

    --
    My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.
     
    Gordon Abbot, Aug 13, 2004
    #4
  5. William W. Plummer

    slacK_ Guest

    Gordon Abbot wrote:

    > .BRIAN. wrote:
    >
    >
    > Can somebody tell me about Google?
    >
    > :)
    >
    > Actually, for someone new to computers, even what a search engine is can
    > be a bit daunting.
    >


    Are you serious? lol

    Google is a way to search the internet for any information you need.
    Though lately I believe it too be stagnating, at least IMHO.
     
    slacK_, Aug 13, 2004
    #5
  6. ..BRIAN. wrote:

    > William W. Plummer wrote:
    >
    >> Can somebody tell me about chrome?

    >
    >
    > Geezz... how lazy the world has become:
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.org/xpfe/ConfigChromeSpec.html
    >
    > *Amazingly* found via Google... first link: http://tinyurl.com/4yq54
    >

    I am anything but lazy, Brian. You are entitled to your opinion,
    although such judgments don't help your credibility.

    FWIW, I did google "chrome". There was an endless list of dinette
    sets, parts for motorcycles, something about science fiction, etc. I
    didn't even see anything about the chemistry of chrome. So to read
    pages and pages, looking for info on a computer feature named "chrome"
    without even knowing what that means is not productive.

    In such a case, we usually turn to experts, which in fact worked as
    evidenced by the limk you supplied. I'll take a look at it. Thanks.
     
    William W. Plummer, Aug 13, 2004
    #6
  7. William W. Plummer

    Retiredff Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:
    > .BRIAN. wrote:
    >
    >> William W. Plummer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can somebody tell me about chrome?

    >>
    >>
    >> Geezz... how lazy the world has become:
    >>
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/xpfe/ConfigChromeSpec.html
    >>
    >> *Amazingly* found via Google... first link: http://tinyurl.com/4yq54
    >>

    > I am anything but lazy, Brian. You are entitled to your opinion,
    > although such judgments don't help your credibility.
    >
    > FWIW, I did google "chrome". There was an endless list of dinette
    > sets, parts for motorcycles, something about science fiction, etc. I
    > didn't even see anything about the chemistry of chrome. So to read
    > pages and pages, looking for info on a computer feature named "chrome"
    > without even knowing what that means is not productive.
    >
    > In such a case, we usually turn to experts, which in fact worked as
    > evidenced by the limk you supplied. I'll take a look at it. Thanks.


    You can start narrowing down a search, such as "chrome" but adding to the
    search criteria. chrome -motorcycle -dinette reduced the results by two
    million. However, chrome +firefox reduced the results to about 13,000. So,
    as you can see, it really is simple to narrow in on what you are looking
    for.

    Hope this helps you in the future.
     
    Retiredff, Aug 13, 2004
    #7
  8. Retiredff wrote:

    > William W. Plummer wrote:
    >
    >>.BRIAN. wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>William W. Plummer wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Can somebody tell me about chrome?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Geezz... how lazy the world has become:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.mozilla.org/xpfe/ConfigChromeSpec.html
    >>>
    >>>*Amazingly* found via Google... first link: http://tinyurl.com/4yq54
    >>>

    >>
    >>I am anything but lazy, Brian. You are entitled to your opinion,
    >>although such judgments don't help your credibility.
    >>
    >>FWIW, I did google "chrome". There was an endless list of dinette
    >>sets, parts for motorcycles, something about science fiction, etc. I
    >>didn't even see anything about the chemistry of chrome. So to read
    >>pages and pages, looking for info on a computer feature named "chrome"
    >>without even knowing what that means is not productive.
    >>
    >>In such a case, we usually turn to experts, which in fact worked as
    >>evidenced by the limk you supplied. I'll take a look at it. Thanks.

    >
    >
    > You can start narrowing down a search, such as "chrome" but adding to the
    > search criteria. chrome -motorcycle -dinette reduced the results by two
    > million. However, chrome +firefox reduced the results to about 13,000. So,
    > as you can see, it really is simple to narrow in on what you are looking
    > for.
    >
    > Hope this helps you in the future.
    >
    >

    Good thought. But I run Mozilla, not Firefox.

    I would like to see the Mozilla Organization or somebody work on a
    really good interface between users and databases (Google). For
    instance, if I say "chrome" and 13,000 replies come up the interface
    should suggest to me ways to narrow the search, much as you mentioned.
    So it could group the replies into major sub categories, motorcycles,
    dinette sets, chemical, web page displays, etc and ask me to check off
    the one that is closer to what I'm looking for. And then repeat the
    process. There are lots of tricks that can be used to prune the tree
    and make it efficient.
     
    William W. Plummer, Aug 13, 2004
    #8
  9. William W. Plummer

    .BRIAN. Guest

    slacK_ wrote:

    > Gordon Abbot wrote:
    >
    >> .BRIAN. wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >> Can somebody tell me about Google?
    >>
    >> :)
    >>
    >> Actually, for someone new to computers, even what a search engine is
    >> can be a bit daunting.
    >>

    >
    > Are you serious? lol
    >
    > Google is a way to search the internet for any information you need.
    > Though lately I believe it too be stagnating, at least IMHO.


    I've been trying http://www.teoma.com -- pretty decent search engine.
    It's tough searching on Google sometimes, as many of their top results
    are usually manufacturers or sellers.

    --
    Brian

    Email Info -
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm
     
    .BRIAN., Aug 13, 2004
    #9
  10. William W. Plummer

    .BRIAN. Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:

    > .BRIAN. wrote:
    >
    >> William W. Plummer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can somebody tell me about chrome?

    >>
    >> Geezz... how lazy the world has become:
    >>
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/xpfe/ConfigChromeSpec.html
    >>
    >> *Amazingly* found via Google... first link: http://tinyurl.com/4yq54
    >>

    > I am anything but lazy, Brian. You are entitled to your opinion,
    > although such judgments don't help your credibility.
    >
    > FWIW, I did google "chrome". There was an endless list of dinette
    > sets, parts for motorcycles, something about science fiction, etc. I
    > didn't even see anything about the chemistry of chrome. So to read
    > pages and pages, looking for info on a computer feature named "chrome"
    > without even knowing what that means is not productive.
    >
    > In such a case, we usually turn to experts, which in fact worked as
    > evidenced by the limk you supplied. I'll take a look at it. Thanks.


    I'm sorry if you thought the comment was direct toward you personally.
    Lazy wasn't the best word to use. I wasn't thinking of you or anyone in
    particular; it was just a general thought, because majority of the
    questions asked here are easily found via a) Google b) Mozillazine

    --
    Brian

    Email Info -
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm
     
    .BRIAN., Aug 13, 2004
    #10
  11. William W. Plummer

    .BRIAN. Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:

    [snip]

    > Good thought. But I run Mozilla, not Firefox.
    >
    > I would like to see the Mozilla Organization or somebody work on a
    > really good interface between users and databases (Google). For
    > instance, if I say "chrome" and 13,000 replies come up the interface
    > should suggest to me ways to narrow the search, much as you mentioned.
    > So it could group the replies into major sub categories, motorcycles,
    > dinette sets, chemical, web page displays, etc and ask me to check off
    > the one that is closer to what I'm looking for. And then repeat the
    > process. There are lots of tricks that can be used to prune the tree
    > and make it efficient.
    >


    Well, major sites are using Google themselves as a search tool. In the
    future, try typing in _site:Mozilla.org_ and then your search term.
    That will search Mozilla's website for you terms.

    If you do not get good results that way, I would recommend searching
    MozillaZine forums next: [http://forums.mozillazine.org/].

    If you still do not find what you are looking for, then I would
    recommend searching Google or better yet, Google Groups. You can narrow
    your search to _alt.fan.Mozilla_ by typing it in first, then your
    search. If you are getting a lot of returns for a particular word i.e.
    dinette, then remove them from your search by using the minus sign.

    --
    Brian

    Email Info -
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm
     
    .BRIAN., Aug 13, 2004
    #11
  12. ..BRIAN. wrote:

    > William W. Plummer wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> Good thought. But I run Mozilla, not Firefox.
    >>
    >> I would like to see the Mozilla Organization or somebody work on a
    >> really good interface between users and databases (Google). For
    >> instance, if I say "chrome" and 13,000 replies come up the interface
    >> should suggest to me ways to narrow the search, much as you mentioned.
    >> So it could group the replies into major sub categories, motorcycles,
    >> dinette sets, chemical, web page displays, etc and ask me to check
    >> off the one that is closer to what I'm looking for. And then repeat
    >> the process. There are lots of tricks that can be used to prune the
    >> tree and make it efficient.
    >>

    >
    > Well, major sites are using Google themselves as a search tool. In the
    > future, try typing in _site:Mozilla.org_ and then your search term. That
    > will search Mozilla's website for you terms.
    >
    > If you do not get good results that way, I would recommend searching
    > MozillaZine forums next: [http://forums.mozillazine.org/].
    >
    > If you still do not find what you are looking for, then I would
    > recommend searching Google or better yet, Google Groups. You can narrow
    > your search to _alt.fan.Mozilla_ by typing it in first, then your
    > search. If you are getting a lot of returns for a particular word i.e.
    > dinette, then remove them from your search by using the minus sign.
    >

    Good info. I'll try it. Thanks, Brian.
     
    William W. Plummer, Aug 13, 2004
    #12
  13. William W. Plummer

    Retiredff Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:
    >> You can start narrowing down a search, such as "chrome" but adding
    >> to the search criteria. chrome -motorcycle -dinette reduced the
    >> results by two million. However, chrome +firefox reduced the results
    >> to about 13,000. So, as you can see, it really is simple to narrow
    >> in on what you are looking for.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps you in the future.
    >>
    >>

    > Good thought. But I run Mozilla, not Firefox.
    >

    Well, replace Firefox with Mozilla :) But you understand that.
     
    Retiredff, Aug 14, 2004
    #13
  14. William W. Plummer

    Moz Champion Guest

    Retiredff wrote:

    > William W. Plummer wrote:
    >
    >>.BRIAN. wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>William W. Plummer wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Can somebody tell me about chrome?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Geezz... how lazy the world has become:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.mozilla.org/xpfe/ConfigChromeSpec.html
    >>>
    >>>*Amazingly* found via Google... first link: http://tinyurl.com/4yq54
    >>>

    >>
    >>I am anything but lazy, Brian. You are entitled to your opinion,
    >>although such judgments don't help your credibility.
    >>
    >>FWIW, I did google "chrome". There was an endless list of dinette
    >>sets, parts for motorcycles, something about science fiction, etc. I
    >>didn't even see anything about the chemistry of chrome. So to read
    >>pages and pages, looking for info on a computer feature named "chrome"
    >>without even knowing what that means is not productive.
    >>
    >>In such a case, we usually turn to experts, which in fact worked as
    >>evidenced by the limk you supplied. I'll take a look at it. Thanks.

    >
    >
    > You can start narrowing down a search, such as "chrome" but adding to the
    > search criteria. chrome -motorcycle -dinette reduced the results by two
    > million. However, chrome +firefox reduced the results to about 13,000. So,
    > as you can see, it really is simple to narrow in on what you are looking
    > for.
    >
    > Hope this helps you in the future.
    >
    >



    Um, put yourself in the right context first, then use google <g>

    for this issue, since the 'chrome' you want is part of Mozilla, go to
    the Mozilla site
    http://www.mozilla.org/

    and simply type 'chrome' in the search bar on the page. It will use
    Google to search the mozilla site for you, eliminatiing most of the dead
    ends or unrelated hits a general Google search will find.

    Nifty, huh?

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Mozilla Champions - http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org
    Mozilla Manual - http://mozmanual.mozdev.org/
     
    Moz Champion, Aug 26, 2004
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Mark P

    What is chrome?

    Mark P, Feb 12, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    504
    Ed Mullen
    Feb 13, 2004
  2. SiD`

    chrome

    SiD`, Jun 2, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    674
  3. cameron

    Chrome files

    cameron, Feb 5, 2005, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    571
    cameron
    Feb 5, 2005
  4. cameron

    Chrome Update

    cameron, Feb 16, 2005, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    482
    cameron
    Feb 16, 2005
  5. Max Burke
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    819
    Gordon
    Jul 11, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page