    like deleted scenes and stuff, for 24 bucks when I already own the non-special
    edition on DVD its a dissapointment. Also it says easter eggs on it, does
    anyone know of any? thank you for your help Jill

    NOMAD205, Oct 9, 2003

  2. NOMAD205

    Shinner Guest

    (NOMAD205) wrote in
    news::

    > still it needed more for me, like
    > deleted scenes and stuff, for 24 bucks when I already own the
    > non-special edition on DVD its a dissapointment

    surely you must appreciate it finally being available in an anamorphic
    transfer? Unless you don't have a ws tv I guess.

    --
    Sláinte,

    Shinner

    ===================================
    While the wicked stand confounded
    Call me, with thy saints surrounded
    ===================================

    Shinner, Oct 9, 2003

  3. NOMAD205

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <3f85daab$0$236$>, Shinner
    <> wrote:

    > (NOMAD205) wrote in
    >
    > > still it needed more for me, like
    > > deleted scenes and stuff, for 24 bucks when I already own the
    > > non-special edition on DVD its a dissapointment

    > surely you must appreciate it finally being available in an anamorphic
    > transfer? Unless you don't have a ws tv I guess.

    Exactly. That's a feature I won't find useful for a decade or so,
    unless my 5 year old set blows up :)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Oct 9, 2003
  4. NOMAD205

    trog Guest

    In <> NOMAD205 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Did anyone else get the Christmas Story DVD special edition and are
    > disapointed? The box says commentary with Peter Billingsly, the
    > Director AND Melinda Dillon but the commentary only includes PB and
    > director, ( When you open the box, in the insert it says only PB and
    > director as well as on the disc menu. It wasnt a very great commentary,
    > the director was boring...PB was greeat though, some of the
    > featurettes were good, but, still it needed more for me, like deleted
    > scenes and stuff, for 24 bucks when I already own the non-special
    > edition on DVD its a dissapointment. Also it says easter eggs on it,
    > does anyone know of any? thank you for your help Jill

    It's finally available in anamorphic widescreen and you are complaining!
    I would have paid $30 to get it in it's original aspect ratio. The full
    screen version is terrible.

    trog, Oct 10, 2003
  5. NOMAD205

    mazinz Guest

    wasnt it shot fullscreen (or like 1;77) to begin with???

    mazinz, Oct 10, 2003
  6. NOMAD205

    mazinz Guest

    ok according to the imdb

    Aspect ratio
    1.37 : 1 (negative ratio)
    1.85 : 1 (intended ratio)

    so it was shot full screen to begin with but i suppose they wanted to matte it
    to 1:85, am i reading that correctly?

    mazinz, Oct 10, 2003
  7. Onojunk (mazinz) wrote in

    > ok according to the imdb
    >
    > Aspect ratio
    > 1.37 : 1 (negative ratio)
    > 1.85 : 1 (intended ratio)
    >
    > so it was shot full screen to begin with but i suppose they wanted to
    > matte it to 1:85, am i reading that correctly?

    Yes. The negative ratio doesn't mean much in this case-- it was
    created to be 1.85:1.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.daily-reviews.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Oct 10, 2003
  8. NOMAD205

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "mazinz" <> wrote in message
    > ok according to the imdb
    >
    > Aspect ratio
    > 1.37 : 1 (negative ratio)
    > 1.85 : 1 (intended ratio)
    >
    > so it was shot full screen to begin with but i suppose they wanted to

    matte it
    > to 1:85, am i reading that correctly?

    Yes. There is an explanation of the matting process at this link:

    http://www.widescreen.org/widescreen_matted.shtml

    Joshua Zyber, Oct 10, 2003
  9. NOMAD205

    Shinner Guest

    Invid Fan <> wrote in news:091020031830345015%
    :

    > Exactly. That's a feature I won't find useful for a decade or so,
    > unless my 5 year old set blows up :)

    I got a free rptv (ws) last year from Marriott, so when I see a crappy
    release get the re-release treatment which includes anamorphic as a new
    "feature", that's enough to get me to buy it.

    But I realize that doesn't apply to everyone, obviously.

    --
    Sláinte,

    Shinner

    ===================================

    Shinner, Oct 10, 2003
  10. NOMAD205

    jayembee Guest

    Invid Fan <> wrote:

    >>> still it needed more for me, like deleted scenes and
    >>> stuff, for 24 bucks when I already own the non-special
    >>> edition on DVD its a dissapointment

    >> surely you must appreciate it finally being available in an
    >> anamorphic transfer? Unless you don't have a ws tv I guess.

    > Exactly. That's a feature I won't find useful for a decade
    > or so, unless my 5 year old set blows up :)

    OK, so you don't have any current use for an anamorphic
    transfer. That still doesn't change the fact that the SE
    is in the proper aspect ratio.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Oct 10, 2003
  11. NOMAD205

    Stan Jensen Guest

    On 09 Oct 2003 21:08:51 GMT, (NOMAD205) wrote:

    > Also it says easter eggs on it, does
    >anyone know of any? thank you for your help

    Like these....

    A Christmas Story: Special Edition.

    Warner Home Video has added some interesting hidden features to their
    20th Anniversary Special Edition release of 'A Christmas Story.'
    Insert the first disc of the set in your DVD player and on the Main
    Menu select the 'Special Features.' On the following screen highlight
    the 'Theatrical Trailer' menu entry and then press the 'Down' arrow
    key on your remote control. This will highlight a Christmas present.
    Press the 'Enter' key now and you will have the chance to read the
    script for a scene that sadly did not make it into the final movie.
    Now insert the second disc of the set and go into the 'Special
    Features' section. Once there, highlight the 'Additional Special
    Features' menu entry and then press the 'Right' arrow key on your
    remote control. This will highlight another Christmas present. If you
    press 'Enter' you get to see what seems like a spoof commercial for
    the infamous Leg Lamp. However, it is actually real and you can indeed
    buy the lamp…

    Stan Jensen, Oct 10, 2003
  12. NOMAD205

    Jeffy3 Guest

    "Aaron J. Bossig" <> wrote in message news:<Xns940FDE1BDC49Clinkvb06@204.186.201.17>...
    > Onojunk (mazinz) wrote in
    >
    > > ok according to the imdb
    > >
    > > Aspect ratio
    > > 1.37 : 1 (negative ratio)
    > > 1.85 : 1 (intended ratio)
    > >
    > > so it was shot full screen to begin with but i suppose they wanted to
    > > matte it to 1:85, am i reading that correctly?
    > >

    > Yes. The negative ratio doesn't mean much in this case-- it was
    > created to be 1.85:1.

    According to Doug Pratt's letterboxed laserdisc comparison to the full
    frame disc: " The upgraded letterboxed release has an aspect ratio of
    about 1.85:1, adding a tiny bit of picture information to one side of
    the image but showing less on the other three sides than the older
    full-screen version. "

    Jeffy3, Oct 10, 2003
  13. NOMAD205

    NOMAD205 Guest

    >HTML><PRE>Subject: Re: christmas story spec ed not sooo special after all
    >From: Shinner <>
    >Date: Thu, Oct 9, 2003 18:03 EDT
    >
    > (NOMAD205) wrote in
    >
    >> still it needed more for me, like
    >> deleted scenes and stuff, for 24 bucks when I already own the
    >> non-special edition on DVD its a dissapointment

    >surely you must appreciate it finally being available in an anamorphic
    >transfer? Unless you don't have a ws tv I guess.
    >

    >--
    >Sláinte,
    >
    >Shinner
    >
    >===================================
    >While the wicked stand confounded
    >Call me, with thy saints surrounded
    >===================================
    ></PRE></HTML>

    yes of course Im happy its widescreen, I am dissapointed when movies arent in
    widescreen, but as far as dvds go...widescreen is now industry Standard, not
    exactly a a special feature.

    NOMAD205, Oct 10, 2003
  14. NOMAD205

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "NOMAD205" <> wrote in message
    > yes of course Im happy its widescreen, I am dissapointed when movies

    arent in
    > widescreen, but as far as dvds go...widescreen is now industry

    Standard, not
    > exactly a a special feature.

    The previous DVD wasn't widescreen. The new one is. Special features or
    no, that makes it better.

    Joshua Zyber, Oct 11, 2003
  15. NOMAD205

    mazinz Guest

    >"Aaron J. Bossig" <> wrote in message
    >> Onojunk (mazinz) wrote in
    >>
    >> > ok according to the imdb
    >> >
    >> > Aspect ratio
    >> > 1.37 : 1 (negative ratio)
    >> > 1.85 : 1 (intended ratio)
    >> >
    >> > so it was shot full screen to begin with but i suppose they wanted to
    >> > matte it to 1:85, am i reading that correctly?
    >> >

    >> Yes. The negative ratio doesn't mean much in this case-- it was
    >> created to be 1.85:1.

    >According to Doug Pratt's letterboxed laserdisc comparison to the full
    >frame disc: " The upgraded letterboxed release has an aspect ratio of
    >about 1.85:1, adding a tiny bit of picture information to one side of
    >the image but showing less on the other three sides than the older
    >full-screen version. "

    Thank you for that info. i hate matting when it gives virtually nothing
    (sometimes some mattes although cropping the top/bottom have given plenty of
    new area on the sides which is fine by me, but not what they did on christmas
    story, ill stick with the full frame)

    mazinz, Oct 11, 2003
  16. NOMAD205

    Shinner Guest

    (NOMAD205) wrote in

    > yes of course Im happy its widescreen, I am dissapointed when movies
    > arent in widescreen, but as far as dvds go...widescreen is now
    > industry Standard, not exactly a a special feature.

    I understand...I've stopped making purchase decisions based on special
    features because they rarely seem to be anything approaching special. Disc2
    of many of the 2 disc sets I have, have never even been in the player.

    --
    Sláinte,

    Shinner

    ===================================

    Shinner, Oct 11, 2003
  17. NOMAD205

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "mazinz" <> wrote in message
    > Thank you for that info. i hate matting when it gives virtually

    nothing
    > (sometimes some mattes although cropping the top/bottom have given

    plenty of
    > new area on the sides which is fine by me, but not what they did on

    christmas
    > story, ill stick with the full frame)

    Photographic composition has nothing to do with giving you "more
    picture". Shots are composed to have just the right amount of picture in
    them, framed in the most visually appropriate manner. Adding extra
    picture to the top and bottom of a movie is just as bad as cropping some
    off the sides.

    Joshua Zyber, Oct 11, 2003
  18. NOMAD205

    jayembee Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:

    > "mazinz" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Thank you for that info. i hate matting when it gives
    >> virtually nothing (sometimes some mattes although cropping
    >> the top/bottom have given plenty of new area on the sides
    >> which is fine by me, but not what they did on christmas
    >> story, ill stick with the full frame)

    Keep in mind that that "info" was in reference to the LD
    transfer. Since the new DVD is anamorphic, they had to do a
    completely new transfer, which means that the framing isn't
    necessarily going to be the same.

    > Photographic composition has nothing to do with giving you
    > "more picture". Shots are composed to have just the right
    > amount of picture in them, framed in the most visually
    > appropriate manner. Adding extra picture to the top and
    > bottom of a movie is just as bad as cropping some off the
    > sides.

    And in many cases, actually shows you something that you
    are absolutely not meant to see.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Oct 11, 2003
  19. NOMAD205

    mazinz Guest

    was anyone aware their was a sequel to a christmas story? it was on the disney
    channel years ago, it picked up much later on with some differnt actors and
    took place during the summer about them going to some hideaway

    mazinz, Oct 12, 2003
  20. NOMAD205

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "mazinz" <> wrote in message
    > was anyone aware their was a sequel to a christmas story? it was on

    the disney
    > channel years ago, it picked up much later on with some differnt

    actors and
    > took place during the summer about them going to some hideaway

    Yes, the movie was called "It Runs in the Family" and starred Charles
    Grodin as the father. Was based on "My Summer Story" by the same author
    as Christmas Story. Should not be confused with the recent Michael
    Douglas/Kirk Douglas flop of the same title.

    Joshua Zyber, Oct 12, 2003