    http://rapidshare.de/files/9683346/Christma.zip.html

    Thanks.
    , Dec 23, 2005

  2. Todd H. Guest

    writes:
    > I received an email from a friend today with a "christma.exe"
    > executable inside a zip file. Alarm bells started ringing, but seeing
    > how it was a trusted friend I thought it should be OK.

    That's a bad test unfortunately because most email worms go after
    people's address books to send themselves out again, so by definition
    all infections can come from someone you know. Just because it's
    from a friends email address does not mean the friend knowingly sent
    it.

    > Anyway, after scanning the file with my Grisoft Free antivirus, I
    > double clicked on it and it seemed a harmless enough Macromedia Flash
    > e-card.
    >
    > I'm now feeling guilty that I may have let loose a Trojan on my system.
    > I've checked the Task Manager and there don't seem to be any rogue
    > processes I don't recognise.

    Lucky. But the sophisticated modern malware is pretty good at hiding
    itself from task manager. So it's not clear that all is ok.

    > Can anyone confirm that this is just a harmless e-card?
    >
    > http://rapidshare.de/files/9683346/Christma.zip.html

    I don't think I'll be investigating this for ya. :) Perhaps
    someone with a proper malware analysis setup might venture forth
    though.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/
    Todd H., Dec 23, 2005

  3. From: <>

    | I received an email from a friend today with a "christma.exe"
    | executable inside a zip file. Alarm bells started ringing, but seeing
    | how it was a trusted friend I thought it should be OK.
    |
    | Anyway, after scanning the file with my Grisoft Free antivirus, I
    | double clicked on it and it seemed a harmless enough Macromedia Flash
    | e-card.
    |
    | I'm now feeling guilty that I may have let loose a Trojan on my system.
    | I've checked the Task Manager and there don't seem to be any rogue
    | processes I don't recognise.
    |
    | Can anyone confirm that this is just a harmless e-card?
    |
    | http://rapidshare.de/files/9683346/Christma.zip.html
    |
    | Thanks.

    It is NOT a virus or Trojan. It is safe.

    It is a Macromedia Flash executable Christmas card.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
    David H. Lipman, Dec 23, 2005
  4. Moe Trin Guest

    On 23 Dec 2005, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
    <>,
    wrote:

    >I received an email from a friend today with a "christma.exe"
    >executable inside a zip file. Alarm bells started ringing, but seeing
    >how it was a trusted friend I thought it should be OK.

    And you're absolutely positive that your friend hasn't been infected
    with the 'malware du jour' because?

    >Can anyone confirm that this is just a harmless e-card?

    Did you ask your "friend"?

    Old guy
    Moe Trin, Dec 23, 2005
  5. optikl Guest

    wrote:

    > Anyway, after scanning the file with my Grisoft Free antivirus, I
    > double clicked on it and it seemed a harmless enough Macromedia Flash
    > e-card.
    >
    > I'm now feeling guilty that I may have let loose a Trojan on my system.

    So, this is what they call "clicker's remorse". You lucked out this
    time. If you have any doubts at all (and you always should with strange
    executables), smart money says don't do it.
    optikl, Dec 23, 2005
  6. Donnie Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I received an email from a friend today with a "christma.exe"
    > executable inside a zip file. Alarm bells started ringing, but seeing
    > how it was a trusted friend I thought it should be OK.
    >
    > Anyway, after scanning the file with my Grisoft Free antivirus, I
    > double clicked on it and it seemed a harmless enough Macromedia Flash
    > e-card.
    >
    > I'm now feeling guilty that I may have let loose a Trojan on my system.
    > I've checked the Task Manager and there don't seem to be any rogue
    > processes I don't recognise.
    >
    > Can anyone confirm that this is just a harmless e-card?
    >
    > http://rapidshare.de/files/9683346/Christma.zip.html
    >
    > Thanks.

    Even if you know the person, don't click on it. The only way I click on
    anything is if I told the person to send it. One time I received something
    from mys sister. Since we really weren't that close, I had a feeling it was
    a worm and it read her address book. Sure enough, I was right. 2 of my
    brothers clicked on it and my farther who is in his 80s knew better. I must
    be a good teacher.
    donnie
    Donnie, Dec 24, 2005