Choosing VB Blue Over Baggy Green Justified?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by sunnyscoop, May 18, 2008.

  1. sunnyscoop

    sunnyscoop Guest

    From Cricketlogic.blogspot.com

    For any cricketer, Test cricket is the ultimate. And, so is the
    feeling of wearing your country's Test cap. Perhaps, that explains the
    outrage of former players, and also fans, when Cricket Australia made
    Ricky Ponting's team wear blue caps emblazoned with its sponsor VB
    beer logo instead of the traditional baggy green in a match against a
    Jamaican XI team.

    "Money talks," said former Australian Test cricketer Greg Matthews to
    an Australian publication. He added: "You're selling your pride,
    selling the baggy green. It just cheapens things. If someone said to
    me I had to wear a VB hat, I'd tell them to piss off."

    According to Cricketlogic.blogspot.com, Cricket Australia was taken
    aback by the backlash and immediately issued a media release,
    clarifying the circumstances. "Brad Haddin, who has not yet been
    selected to play Test cricket for Australia, was ineligible to wear
    the baggy green cap, which is only presented to players on the morning
    of their Test debut. In these circumstances it was decided that in the
    interests of team uniformity (and out of respect for the baggy green)
    all players would wear the same cap, the blue Cricket Australia
    training cap, which bears the sponsors mark," said Cricket Australia
    public affairs manager Peter Young.
    "Due to these special circumstances, during the second innings of the
    current tour game the Australian players are wearing baggy green caps,
    if they are eligible to wear them, or a Cricket Australia floppy white
    hat, rather than the blue training cap. Brad Haddin may wear his
    Australia one-day cap while keeping wicket," he added.

    However, the damage has already been done. In this age of
    commercialization, it's the game which has taken the beating. What do
    you think?

    sunnyscoop, May 18, 2008

  2. sunnyscoop

    Roy G Guest

    "nntp.dsl.pipex.com" <> wrote in message
    > sunnyscoop <> wrote:
    >
    >> From Cricketlogic.blogspot.com
    >>
    >> For any cricketer, Test cricket is the ultimate. And, so is the
    >> feeling of wearing your country's Test cap. Perhaps, that explains the

    > I wonder if anybody here on rec.photo.digital gives a good goddamn about
    > your meandering meanless mouthings upon the subject of the world's most
    > boring sport? I mean, cricket hardly offers wonderful photographic
    > opportunities does it?

    The whole point of cricket is that you don't have to watch continuously.

    You can sup your beer, then doze off for a bit, and when you return to full
    wakefullness, you will find you have not really missed very much.

    Roy G

    Roy G, May 18, 2008

  3. sunnyscoop

    Stewy Guest

    In article <773DFDAB-98D0-4869-9F70-46D0C8F2B095%>,
    nntp.dsl.pipex.com <> wrote:

    > "Roy G" <> wrote:
    >

    > > The whole point of cricket is that you don't have to watch continuously.
    > >

    > Are you trying to say that there IS a point to cricket?
    >

    > > You can sup your beer, then doze off for a bit, and when you return to
    > > full
    > > wakefullness, you will find you have not really missed very much.
    > >

    > So presumably not an awful lot of point if you can get drunk, doze for a
    > while,
    > perhaps do the weekly shop and order a new car, and when you get back
    > nothing's
    > happened.
    >
    > I see. So, the world's most boring sport, that's what you're really trying
    > say, right?

    Cricket is not about winning or providing great entertainment (wonder
    how many American football fans go to games to ogle at the
    cheerleaders?) it's about being sociable, sharing experiences and
    (perhaps) trying to look eccentric while enjoying a truly great sport in
    a relaxed manner.

    Stewy, May 22, 2008