Choosing an Internet Explorer "favorite" opens the URL in Firefox

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Neal Smith, Oct 13, 2007.

  1. Neal Smith

    Neal Smith Guest

    This is a long story.

    I have used Firefox for some time, I like the fact that it will not
    run Active-X controls. At the same time, I need and use IE to do
    Windows Updates, etc. I had upgraded to IE7.

    I fried my motherboard. I could not find another ASUS A8V, so I
    installed an A8N.

    I was successful in doing a "Repair Installation" of XP Pro SP2. My
    CD is SP2.

    I discovered problems in installing the updates since my SP2 CD was
    made. I was getting installation failed errors. I "hid" these
    updates and tried the next batch. Always the same problem.

    I finally learned that the new Windows updater used a file the SP2 did
    not have, and I successfully registered wups2.dll with the "regsvr32
    /s wups2.dll" command. After I did this the October 9th updates
    installed successfully.

    So I went to Internet Explorer - Tools - Windows Update to get the
    updates that had previously failed installation. But the Windows
    update page opened (with errors) in Firefox.

    If I open IE, it goes to the msn home page. Clicking any link on that
    page takes me to that page. But choosing a "favorite" causes the URL
    to open in Firefox.

    My IE "Help - About Internet Explorer" show that I am running
    6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158.

    I found some information that implied that a "mixed" IE6/IE7
    installation could cause problems, so I uninstalled Internet Explorer.
    I then reinstalled it. I then went to the Windows download site
    (using Firefox
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Search.aspx?displaylang=en) and
    downloaded the IE7 installation file "IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe"
    15,091 KB, or 15,542,536 bytes.

    When I try to run this, I receive "Extraction Failed, File is
    corrupt."

    I don't use IE much, but I need to keep my computer up to date.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Neal

    Remove UPPERCASE from email address to email me

    Neal Smith, Oct 13, 2007

  2. Neal Smith wrote:
    > This is a long story.
    >
    > I have used Firefox for some time, I like the fact that it will not
    > run Active-X controls. At the same time, I need and use IE to do
    > Windows Updates, etc. I had upgraded to IE7.
    >
    > I fried my motherboard. I could not find another ASUS A8V, so I
    > installed an A8N.
    >
    > I was successful in doing a "Repair Installation" of XP Pro SP2. My
    > CD is SP2.
    >
    > I discovered problems in installing the updates since my SP2 CD was
    > made. I was getting installation failed errors. I "hid" these
    > updates and tried the next batch. Always the same problem.
    >
    > I finally learned that the new Windows updater used a file the SP2 did
    > not have, and I successfully registered wups2.dll with the "regsvr32
    > /s wups2.dll" command. After I did this the October 9th updates
    > installed successfully.
    >
    > So I went to Internet Explorer - Tools - Windows Update to get the
    > updates that had previously failed installation. But the Windows
    > update page opened (with errors) in Firefox.
    >
    > If I open IE, it goes to the msn home page. Clicking any link on that
    > page takes me to that page. But choosing a "favorite" causes the URL
    > to open in Firefox.
    >
    > My IE "Help - About Internet Explorer" show that I am running
    > 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158.
    >
    > I found some information that implied that a "mixed" IE6/IE7
    > installation could cause problems, so I uninstalled Internet Explorer.
    > I then reinstalled it. I then went to the Windows download site
    > (using Firefox
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Search.aspx?displaylang=en) and
    > downloaded the IE7 installation file "IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe"
    > 15,091 KB, or 15,542,536 bytes.
    >
    > When I try to run this, I receive "Extraction Failed, File is
    > corrupt."
    >
    > I don't use IE much, but I need to keep my computer up to date.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >

    > Neal
    >
    > Remove UPPERCASE from email address to email me

    I can't help you about your IE and Window problems, but
    there are sort of other options you can do.

    One option is the windizupdate: http://windizupdate.com/.
    This will let you update the OS within Firefox.

    The other option is to install IETab:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419. This
    will let you use the IE options within Firefox.

    Using either of these ways, you will bypass the windows
    update feature.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Oct 13, 2007

  3. Neal Smith

    Neal Smith Guest

    Windisupdate worked well. Thank you.

    Neal Smith, Oct 15, 2007