Choosing a reasonable gamma-correction for prints?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ilya Zakharevich, Jan 2, 2007.

  1. What are the tricks in choosing a "correct" gamma for printing?

    I tried to print without any gamma correction, and the print looks
    very impressive under a direct sunlight (or comparably bright
    artificial light), but becomes much more dull under darker viewing
    condition (even "on the very bright side" of "normal" artificial
    light).

    The same print with 0.67-corrected gamma (6 steps compressed to 4)
    looks much better in bright artificial light, but is a little bit
    flatter in very bright light.

    Is there any trick to alleviate the differences?

    [The subject is sunlit, with parts of it being inside a fir tree
    forest; artificial light is whitish flavor of contemporary-luminescent
    light "bulbs"; there is no big deal with color changes, only
    bright/dark parts being "unbalanced". Prints were on Fuji photo paper.]

    Thanks,
    Ilya

    Ilya Zakharevich, Jan 2, 2007

  2. In article <encob7$u8s$>,
    Ilya Zakharevich <> wrote:

    > What are the tricks in choosing a "correct" gamma for printing?
    >
    > I tried to print without any gamma correction, and the print looks
    > very impressive under a direct sunlight (or comparably bright
    > artificial light), but becomes much more dull under darker viewing
    > condition (even "on the very bright side" of "normal" artificial
    > light).
    >
    > The same print with 0.67-corrected gamma (6 steps compressed to 4)
    > looks much better in bright artificial light, but is a little bit
    > flatter in very bright light.
    >
    > Is there any trick to alleviate the differences?
    >
    > [The subject is sunlit, with parts of it being inside a fir tree
    > forest; artificial light is whitish flavor of contemporary-luminescent
    > light "bulbs"; there is no big deal with color changes, only
    > bright/dark parts being "unbalanced". Prints were on Fuji photo paper.]
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ilya

    It sounds like fluorescent paper providing backlighting in direct
    sunlight. I don't know about Fuji, but Epson's paper fluoresces hot
    pink. I think HP paper fluoresces ice white.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Jan 2, 2007

    Kevin McMurtrie
    <>], who wrote in article <-sjc.supernews.net>:
    > > I tried to print without any gamma correction, and the print looks
    > > very impressive under a direct sunlight (or comparably bright
    > > artificial light), but becomes much more dull under darker viewing
    > > condition (even "on the very bright side" of "normal" artificial
    > > light).

    > It sounds like fluorescent paper providing backlighting in direct
    > sunlight. I don't know about Fuji, but Epson's paper fluoresces hot
    > pink. I think HP paper fluoresces ice white.

    It is a very interesting idea (I did not know they make it like this),
    but in fact, in luminescent light the "natural-gamma" print is fine
    too - IF it is bright enough (I'm thinking about 300W-equivalent at
    distance of about 60cm)...

    I still suspect that the spectrum of ambient light does not have much
    to do with the difference, only the brightness. But of course, it is
    very hard to be objective in such matters...

    Thanks,
    Ilya

    Ilya Zakharevich, Jan 2, 2007