    budget for camera is below $1000. Could you pls help me to choose some
    good models in this range?

    Also I'd like to know more about the Kit lenses. Are they really bad?

    Sarath, Jan 30, 2008

  2. Sarath <> wrote:
    >I am planning to buy a entry level SLR Digital camera. I am stucked up
    >with Nikon D40x and Canon EOS 450D.

    Choice between Chevy and Ford. If you want detailed list of differences then
    check out http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

    > I am a newbie in this area. My

    We can see that because the topic has been discussed ad nauseam before.

    >budget for camera is below $1000. Could you pls help me to choose some
    >good models in this range?
    >
    >Also I'd like to know more about the Kit lenses. Are they really bad?

    They are certainly not at the top end but at least for Nikon there are some
    which are way better than what you would expect from a kit lens and offer a
    very good value for the money. And then there are some which are not so
    great. Sorry, but you will have to be specific about _which_ kit lens you
    are talking about.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jan 30, 2008

  3. Sarath

    Jufi Guest

    "Sarath" <> wrote in message
    >I am planning to buy a entry level SLR Digital camera. I am stucked up
    > with Nikon D40x and Canon EOS 450D. I am a newbie in this area. My
    > budget for camera is below $1000. Could you pls help me to choose some
    > good models in this range?

    Both models are excellent, so it will come down to "look and feel." Both of
    those models also have very good kit lenses (on the Canon side, be sure to
    get the IS version of the 18-55 lens) so that's a tossup. Hold both, see how
    they feel, and get the one you're most comfortable with.

    Jufi, Jan 30, 2008
  4. Sarath wrote:
    > I am planning to buy a entry level SLR Digital camera. I am stucked up
    > with Nikon D40x and Canon EOS 450D. I am a newbie in this area. My
    > budget for camera is below $1000. Could you pls help me to choose some
    > good models in this range?
    >
    > Also I'd like to know more about the Kit lenses. Are they really bad?

    The Nikon 18-55mm lens is quite adequate, but I have heard reports that
    the Canon equivalent is not so good. I suggest you visit a camera shop
    and see how the two cameras feel to operate, and perhaps how the menus
    suit you. Do you need to operate the cameras with gloves on, for working
    in the cold, for example? If so, try it in the shop. I recently bought
    the Nikon D40 (preferring the smaller pixel count) with the 18-55mm and
    55-200mm image-stabilised lenses. I've been very pleased with the camera
    and lenses, their operation, and the results I've got. Very good value
    for money. If you buy from the shop, see if they offer a 30-day
    money-back guarantee.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 30, 2008
  5. On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 06:00:32 -0800 (PST), Sarath <> wrote:
    > I am planning to buy a entry level SLR Digital camera. I am stucked up
    > with Nikon D40x and Canon EOS 450D. I am a newbie in this area. My
    > budget for camera is below $1000. Could you pls help me to choose some
    > good models in this range?

    Nikon recently (like just a couple of days ago) replaced the D40X with
    the D60. As far as I can tell, the changes are pretty minor, but just
    something to be aware of.

    That said, you might also want to look at the D40 and the Canon 400D.
    Also consider the entry-level models from other makers like Pentax.
    There's not going to be too much difference in the numerical specs, and
    unless you're planning on making big (bigger than 8x10") prints, any of
    the models will have plenty of megapixelage, so don't worry about that.

    Instead, try to find a store that stocks the different cameras that
    you're considering, and try them out. See which one feels most
    comfortable in your hand. Which one has the controls in the easiest to
    reach locations. Etc. For instance, a lot of people who have large hands
    find the Canons to be a little bit on the small side to hold
    comfortably.

    > Also I'd like to know more about the Kit lenses. Are they really bad?

    It varies.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Jan 30, 2008
  6. On Jan 30, 8:00 am, Sarath <> wrote:
    > I am planning to buy a entry level SLR Digital camera. I am stucked up
    > with Nikon D40x and Canon EOS 450D. I am a newbie in this area. My
    > budget for camera is below $1000. Could you pls help me to choose some
    > good models in this range?
    >
    > Also I'd like to know more about the Kit lenses. Are they really bad?

    I got the D40x for Christmas and love it. It is a little simpler to
    operate than our D50, but has all the features I need (aperture
    priority, manual, auto or manual focus, and many other features)..

    I like the lens that came with it because of a unique feature. I do a
    lot of table top and scale model photography. These require closeups,
    but at a normal or slightly wide focal length. Many zoom macros only
    macro at the longest focal length. This lens has the macro feature at
    all focal lengths.

    The camera was cheaper than our D50, and has 12 Mp, considerably more
    than our D50. The D50 is my wife's camera that I had to beg to use,
    so she got me a D40x :)

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Jan 30, 2008
  7. Sarath

    bugbear Guest

    Sarath wrote:
    > I am planning to buy a entry level SLR Digital camera. I am stucked up
    > with Nikon D40x and Canon EOS 450D. I am a newbie in this area. My
    > budget for camera is below $1000. Could you pls help me to choose some
    > good models in this range?
    >
    > Also I'd like to know more about the Kit lenses. Are they really bad?

    If you're new to photography, I'd advise buying
    a "good" compact, and learning more, before
    shelling out that much money.

    It would be "a while" before you hit the limits of this:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_a570is.asp
    for example.

    If your interest persists, you'll want a better DSLR
    system than $1000 will get you, if it doesn't persist
    you'll have wasted $1000.

    BugBear

    bugbear, Jan 30, 2008
  8. Sarath

    Jufi Guest

    "Don Stauffer in Minnesota" <> wrote in message
    > On Jan 30, 8:00 am, Sarath <> wrote:
    >> I am planning to buy a entry level SLR Digital camera. I am stucked up
    >> with Nikon D40x and Canon EOS 450D. I am a newbie in this area. My
    >> budget for camera is below $1000. Could you pls help me to choose some
    >> good models in this range?
    >>
    >> Also I'd like to know more about the Kit lenses. Are they really bad?

    > I got the D40x for Christmas and love it. It is a little simpler to
    > operate than our D50, but has all the features I need (aperture
    > priority, manual, auto or manual focus, and many other features)..
    >
    > I like the lens that came with it because of a unique feature. I do a
    > lot of table top and scale model photography. These require closeups,
    > but at a normal or slightly wide focal length. Many zoom macros only
    > macro at the longest focal length. This lens has the macro feature at
    > all focal lengths.
    >
    > The camera was cheaper than our D50, and has 12 Mp, considerably more
    > than our D50. The D50 is my wife's camera that I had to beg to use,
    > so she got me a D40x :)

    The D40x got an upgrade? 12M?

    Jufi, Jan 30, 2008