    Any/All suggestions welcome.

    regards
    Simon
    Simon, Mar 3, 2004

  2. Simon

    Jerry Guest

    Get the Canon S1
    Hope this helps,

    Jerry

    Jerry, Mar 4, 2004

  3. "Simon" <> wrote in message
    > I am thinking of buying a Fuji S7000 or Canon G5, both of which retail
    > in the UK for around £425.00 .
    > I prefer the look of the S7000 (though I don't know why this is
    > important). Is there anything else at this sort of price that I should
    > be considering?
    > I want 5+ Megapixels, a decent lens and reasonable battery life. I
    > would be interested in some sort of rapid-fire mode and time lapse
    > would be a plus.
    > Any/All suggestions welcome.

    Although I hate compact digitals, the G5 isn't a bad bit of kit (avg. street
    price about £399 now) and certainly does the job well. The S7000 (and
    previously the S602) have the same lens or similar, and from what I remember
    both suffered barrel distortion at the wide end, pincushion at the long, and
    CA too. This IMO does not a good lens make.

    Might be worth hanging around a bit, though; test shots from a Nikon 8700
    were very impressive, coming close to what i'd expect from a DSLR with a
    standard zoom. If forthcoming 8mp cameras have similar sensors to the Nikon
    (and not the Sony), they could be well worth the extra cash.

    --
    Here lies the late Martin Francis
    He couldn't tell you the technical merits of Leitz and Zeiss
    Martin Francis, Mar 4, 2004
  4. Simon

    Patco Guest

    "Martin Francis" <>
    wrote in message news:c25ug9$8au$...
    > "Simon" <> wrote in message

    (snip)
    > Might be worth hanging around a bit, though; test shots from a Nikon

    8700
    > were very impressive, coming close to what i'd expect from a DSLR with

    > standard zoom. If forthcoming 8mp cameras have similar sensors to the

    Nikon
    > (and not the Sony), they could be well worth the extra cash.

    At least 2 review sites seem to think the Nikon sensor is made by Sony:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_cp8700.asp?dontcount=1
    http://www.digitaldingus.com/pma2004/1282004/nikoncp8700.html
    Patco, Mar 4, 2004
  5. Simon

    Guest

    ( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )

    There's no perfect digicam, so you really must decide on which
    features are most important to you and which limitations are less of a
    problem. Start asking yourself: how big do I want the camera, how much
    zoom, how many megpixels, how fast the lens ?

    I don't think the S7000 and the G5 belong in a same league.

    The G5 seems more comparable to the Olympus C-5050. They are similar
    in size, weight, and lenses. The closest thing would be Canon's
    previous G3, which is the one I'm inclined to get. There seems to be
    no other choices in that form-factor and lens-type. Canon's new Pro1
    (which is probably a much better camera) is thicker and heavier.

    The S7000 is a bit taller, thicker, and heavier than the G5. It could
    be more fairly related to this recent trend of "more megpixels-more
    zoom", and as such it seems already being outshadowed by the
    impressive new 8-megpixel releases by Canon, Nikon and Olympus. I'd
    say the S7000 and its predecessor S602 were prototypes/pioneers of
    such trend. They offer a very nice combination of features, which may
    suit you if you find the image quality good enough.

    Having said the above, both cameras have strengths and limitations, so
    try to match your priorities:

    -The S7000 seems to have a nicer grip and faster shooting times. It
    has more zoom and more megpixels, plus a much better video mode if
    that's something you care about. And it has a much better macro mode.
    It uses rechargeable AA batteries (more flexibility, less autonomy),
    and it accepts two kinds of memory cards (Compact Flash or Xd).

    -The G5 has less zoom, less megpixels, slightly slower timings, less
    macro, less video, but: it has a faster lens, meaning that some
    pictures that might require a flash with the S7000 coud be taken in
    natural light with the G5. To me, that's a key factor since I will be
    taking lots of indoor pictures and I do not plan to carry an external
    flash around. The G5 is also a bit more compact, in a way that it can
    be carried around more easily in, say, a jacquet's pocket. Also,
    Canon's swivel-LCD seems the only one of a kind. It uses a proprietary
    battery that seems to have autonomy enough to let you forget about it,
    but if it ever goes bad you will have to find the same one.

    Overall, I think the Fuji has a nicer pack of features, but the final
    image quality seems better with the Canon, especially under lower
    light conditions. Have a look at some samples and make the comparison
    by yourself.

    If size and weight weren't an issue, I would wait and get one of the
    new 8-mp mentioned above, like the Pro1. The double cost would be
    worth it.
    But to me, size/weight and fast lens are top priorities. I want to use
    my camera as often as possible, and not think twice before deciding to
    carry it along. The G3 that I want isn't exactly small and light, but
    it's the smallest and lightest camera with such fast lens and is
    nowadays a less expensive item to worry about carrying.

    With the money I'd have to spend for a Pro1, and it's being less
    portable, I'm afraid I'd often leave it home like I did with my nice
    non-digital cameras in the past. Of course, unlike me, professional
    photographers don't mind carrying around a luggage of cameras and
    add-ons when they're at work, though I know many of them keep a
    smaller camera for leisure time.
    Hope this helps.

    >I am thinking of buying a Fuji S7000 or Canon G5, both of which retail
    >in the UK for around £425.00 .
    >I prefer the look of the S7000 (though I don't know why this is
    >important). Is there anything else at this sort of price that I should
    >be considering?
    >I want 5+ Megapixels, a decent lens and reasonable battery life. I
    >would be interested in some sort of rapid-fire mode and time lapse
    >would be a plus.
    >Any/All suggestions welcome.
    >
    >regards
    >Simon
    , Mar 4, 2004
  6. Simon

    Patco Guest

    In your analysis below, you mention most of the 8 MP makers (Canon,
    Nikon and Olympus) but not Minolta, which released DiMAGE A2.
    Is this an oversight, or do you think it doesn't merit being included?

    Patco, Mar 4, 2004
  7. Simon

    GMT, "Patco" <> wrote:

    >In your analysis below, you mention most of the 8 MP makers (Canon,
    >Nikon and Olympus) but not Minolta, which released DiMAGE A2.
    >Is this an oversight, or do you think it doesn't merit being included?

    An oversight sure, as I was just giving quick examples of a category
    that is different from that of Canon's G series. And I have nothing
    for or against any of them. The DiMAGE A2 seems to fit in that same
    category, as also the Sony F-828. Maybe there are others.
    The point I was trying to make is that the S7000 is closer to that
    league (though not quite up to it) that is the G5, in terms of
    form-factor, more meg-pixels, more zoom, etc.
    , Mar 4, 2004
  8. Simon

    Patco Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > ( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )
    >
    > GMT, "Patco" <> wrote:
    >
    > >In your analysis below, you mention most of the 8 MP makers (Canon,
    > >Nikon and Olympus) but not Minolta, which released DiMAGE A2.
    > >Is this an oversight, or do you think it doesn't merit being included?

    > An oversight sure, as I was just giving quick examples of a category
    > that is different from that of Canon's G series. And I have nothing
    > for or against any of them. The DiMAGE A2 seems to fit in that same
    > category, as also the Sony F-828. Maybe there are others.
    > The point I was trying to make is that the S7000 is closer to that
    > league (though not quite up to it) that is the G5, in terms of
    > form-factor, more meg-pixels, more zoom, etc.

    Good. I was starting to feel insecure as a Minolta A1 owner.
    (They are not mentioned nearly as much as Nikon / Canon)
    Actually, I don't think I would buy any camera that has 8MP crammed
    on a 2/3 sensor. The signal to noise ratio has to be higher than 5MP.
    Haven't seen any real reviews on 8MP cams, except for the Sony F828,
    which has more noise & CA than most 5MP cams.
    As for the original topic, my research led me to the A1 over the S7000
    and the Coolpix 5700.
    I like the manual zoom starting at 28, and the anti-shake.
    Patco, Mar 4, 2004
  9. "Patco" <> wrote in message
    > At least 2 review sites seem to think the Nikon sensor is made by Sony:
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_cp8700.asp?dontcount=1
    > http://www.digitaldingus.com/pma2004/1282004/nikoncp8700.html

    I'm sure it is... but the sensor is quite clearly not the same sensor as the
    one in the F828 (y'know, the one that has visible noise at any ISO above
    64). Apart from the relative lack of noise in the shots i've seen at
    mid-range ISOs from the Nikon, the Nikon doesn't have the "Emerald" filter
    the Sony boasts.

    Martin Francis, Mar 4, 2004
  10. Simon

    Cool Hand Guest

    It all comes down to what is the feature you want the most from a dc.

    The reason I pick S7000.

    1. Strong flash ( 27ft )
    No need to carry slave flash or an external flash any more.
    I need to take lots of indoor pictures w/o a tripod.

    2. 640x480 Movie mode
    No need to carry Digital Video Camcorder any more.

    3. Takes AA NiMH
    Have tons of them.

    4. Take CF/xD/Microdrive
    Bought Magicstor 2.2GB Microdrive (Type II Compact Flash) ( VD1022C )
    Now I can either take 30min movie or 1000+ 6M pictures

    5. Last 5/Continous shooting
    Try to ask kids standing still.
    Now I'll just keep shooting until I get it right.

    6. Cheap
    The total cost of Fuji S7000 + Magicstor 2.2GB Microdrive is
    $549.00(minus $100.00 rebate) + $175.00 = $624.00
    $9.99 for a MediaGear 8in4(no xD) card reader/writer for
    the microdirve(from Fry's).

    I used to carry
    DC + DC SM cards(3) + DVC + DVC extra tape + Slave Flash + Lots of AA NiMH

    Now I carry S7000(with Magicstor 2.2GB Microdrive inside DC) and
    1 or 2 4xAA NiMH.

    In conclusion, S7000 is perfect for me.

    By the way,
    S7000, Magistor 2.2GB microdrive and MediaGear 8in4 are all plug and play with
    my WinME. Magistor 2.2GB is shown as 1.99GB in FAT16 under WinME.

    On 3 Mar 2004 14:19:40 -0800, (Simon) wrote:

    =>I am thinking of buying a Fuji S7000 or Canon G5, both of which retail
    =>in the UK for around £425.00 .
    =>I prefer the look of the S7000 (though I don't know why this is
    =>important). Is there anything else at this sort of price that I should
    =>be considering?
    =>I want 5+ Megapixels, a decent lens and reasonable battery life. I
    =>would be interested in some sort of rapid-fire mode and time lapse
    =>would be a plus.
    =>Any/All suggestions welcome.
    =>
    =>regards
    =>Simon

    ---
    http://home.earthlink.net/~rachel1689/
    Cool Hand, Mar 5, 2004
  11. Simon

    "Patco" <> wrote:
    >I like the manual zoom starting at 28, and the anti-shake.

    Yup, those are nice features, and I agree about the 8megs in 2/3,
    better wait for real world experiences/reviews.
    In my case though, I wanted the smallest possible camera with a fast
    lens, so I know I'll be trading off some other good stuff by going
    with the G3. I was hoping for a smaller version, say a G6 as rumoured
    last year but that appears unlikely. The only other choice in my case
    would be the Oly-5050 which in fact has advantages so it was a tough
    decision.
    , Mar 5, 2004
  12. Simon

    Patco Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > ( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )
    >
    > "Patco" <> wrote:
    > >I like the manual zoom starting at 28, and the anti-shake.

    > Yup, those are nice features, and I agree about the 8megs in 2/3,
    > better wait for real world experiences/reviews.
    > In my case though, I wanted the smallest possible camera with a fast
    > lens, so I know I'll be trading off some other good stuff by going
    > with the G3. I was hoping for a smaller version, say a G6 as rumoured
    > last year but that appears unlikely. The only other choice in my case
    > would be the Oly-5050 which in fact has advantages so it was a tough
    > decision.

    And an excellent choice it is! Great color, low noise, fast lens, etc., etc.
    Less noise at ISO 400 than my A1 at 200.
    You have no doubt read this review:
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C5050/C55A.HTM
    The Oly's I've looked into range from great to superb.
    Patco, Mar 5, 2004