    i was planning to build a PC for gaming and i was a bit stuck on looking for a HDD to complete the set as i'm stuck between two choices: The WD VelociRaptor and the WD Caviar Black,

    So i was wondering whether you guys would be able to help me to choose which would be the better or choice or even have any comments on it if you're using these drives.

    Thanks!
    zaragoth, Jul 10, 2009

  2. zaragoth

    purplesunrise

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    The disk that contains your computer’s operating system is called the startup disk or boot disk. In addition to the operating system, the startup disk also stores your applications (such as Final Cut Pro), your application preferences, system settings, and documents. Because the files on the startup disk are your most critical data, maintaining the startup disk is vital.:captain:
    purplesunrise, Jul 22, 2009

  3. zaragoth

    technoplume

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2009
    Messages:
    55
    What is your point purple ???

    Any way you will get faster Read/wright time from the VelociRaptor. 300 Gi is big enough. I would go whit this one for a pure gaming station. and even a smaller one whit the same spec.

    I have 1.3 TB on my pc and only use 1/2 of it. so the other one is just for flare when u flash numbers at lan party.
    technoplume, Sep 9, 2009
  4. zaragoth

    noel-man3k

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2009
    Messages:
    3
    you can do some google searches on either the WD VelociRaptor or WD Caviar Black hard drives and see if you get a lot of good reviews.

    although there are more WD Caviar Black drives with 1TB capacity than the WD Velociraptor drives
    noel-man3k, Sep 14, 2009
  5. zaragoth

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If money is no issue, go with two WD VelociRaptors in a Raid 0 configuration (striping), followed by a data drive. Make sure you configure your applications to save data files on the data drive. Have you considered the solid state drives? I think they are still too expensive but the prices keep coming down.
    bigal, Sep 17, 2009