choosing a fiber to ethernet media converter

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by s, Nov 16, 2009.

  1. s

    s Guest

    A new machine in our office has a ethernet adapter for networking
    purposes meaning it cannot directly accept fiber optic which is what
    we have in our office. So, we need a fiber to ethernet converter(which
    can take the fiber optic connection and convert it to Ethernet) such
    as http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Telesy...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258145889&sr=8-1

    OR

    An adapter which can take the fiber optic connection from the fiber
    optic cable and convert it to ethernet like the Allied Telesyn
    AT-2701FX PCI 100Mb Fiber Ethernet Adapter.

    Question is which one would be more economical? The first option is
    pretty pricey about 175.

    Would the below two products
    http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/tech4less/AT-2701FXST-901?mv_pc=amazon_cpc&tts=20091114182400
    and
    http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/tech4less/AT-2711FX/SC-901
    work for the second option? Are there any better quality products or
    can I get a less expensive price?

    The fiber optic cables in our office have SC connectors and I guess
    they are singlemode.

    Can someone please advise?

    Thanks
    s, Nov 16, 2009

  2. s

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 17:04:22 -0800 (PST), s wrote:

    >A new machine in our office has a ethernet adapter for networking

    Ask your IT department / IT buyer should have ordered the correct parts.

    >purposes meaning it cannot directly accept fiber optic which is what
    >we have in our office. So, we need a fiber to ethernet converter(which
    >can take the fiber optic connection and convert it to Ethernet) such
    >as http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Telesy...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258145889&sr=8-1

    Go for Allied Telesyn, always use thier stuff where possible. That's the
    type of box we have.

    >OR
    >
    >An adapter which can take the fiber optic connection from the fiber
    >optic cable and convert it to ethernet like the Allied Telesyn
    >AT-2701FX PCI 100Mb Fiber Ethernet Adapter.

    Yes, both good choices.

    >Question is which one would be more economical? The first option is
    >pretty pricey about 175.

    The NIC, or not using the PC :)

    >Would the below two products
    >http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/tech4less/AT-2701FXST-901?mv_pc=amazon_cpc&tts=20091114182400

    That's ST not SC.

    >and
    >http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/tech4less/AT-2711FX/SC-901

    SC and PCI Express. The previous NIC is PCI.

    Make your mind up, stop mixing bus and SC/ST types.

    >work for the second option? Are there any better quality products or
    >can I get a less expensive price?

    Send the PC back, carriage is less expensive ;-)

    Look up the spec of a card currently in use on another PC.

    >The fiber optic cables in our office have SC connectors and I guess
    >they are singlemode.

    Why?

    The 901 NIC is MM, so is the other.

    You have to know what the letters in 1000Base<letters> or
    100Base<letters> your system is, FX,SX,BX,LX

    >Can someone please advise?

    Your IT department.

    >Thanks

    Me