Choose your Linux

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PAM., Jul 17, 2005.

  1. PAM.

    PAM. Guest

    PAM., Jul 17, 2005

  2. PAM.

    allistar Guest

    PAM. wrote:
    > I like this wizard. Even if you don't use Linux, it's nice to see something
    > there that's aimed at people at least wanting to give it a go.
    >
    > http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php
    >
    > PAM.

    It recommended I user Linux. Not much choice I suppose since I said I'd
    prefer a portage/source based distribution and Gentoo is the only one
    of these I am aware of.

    Allistar [Who is posting from google because the Paradise server is
    stuffed again]

    allistar, Jul 18, 2005

  3. PAM.

    Robert Cooze Guest

    PAM. wrote:
    > I like this wizard. Even if you don't use Linux, it's nice to see something
    > there that's aimed at people at least wanting to give it a go.
    >
    > http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php
    >
    > PAM.

    It Picked Slackware and or Gentoo

    I was going to try gentoo one day.

    Robert Cooze, Jul 18, 2005
  4. Robert Cooze wrote:
    >> I like this wizard. Even if you don't use Linux, it's nice to see
    >> something
    >> there that's aimed at people at least wanting to give it a go.
    >> http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php

    > It Picked Slackware and or Gentoo
    > I was going to try gentoo one day.

    hhe, when I did it, it picked Linspire and Xandros... the two I happen
    to tinker with... followed up by Lycoris, Debian, Ubuntu, Kubuntu,
    Mandriva, Mepis, PCLinuxOS and then finally Fedora...

    The main criteria was that it was simple to install, and simple to
    install Apps... single click for the first two.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 18, 2005
  5. PAM.

    Allistar Guest

    allistar wrote:

    > PAM. wrote:
    >> I like this wizard. Even if you don't use Linux, it's nice to see
    >> something there that's aimed at people at least wanting to give it a go.
    >>
    >> http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php
    >>
    >> PAM.

    > It recommended I user Linux. Not much choice I suppose since I said I'd
    > prefer a portage/source based distribution and Gentoo is the only one
    > of these I am aware of.

    Reading that again it makes no sense. I meant to say "It recommended I use
    Gentoo".

    > Allistar [Who is posting from google because the Paradise server is
    > stuffed again]

    A whole flood of posts have just come in, I hope that's their server back up
    again.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jul 18, 2005
  6. PAM.

    Allistar Guest

    Robert Cooze wrote:

    > PAM. wrote:
    >> I like this wizard. Even if you don't use Linux, it's nice to see
    >> something there that's aimed at people at least wanting to give it a go.
    >>
    >> http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php
    >>
    >> PAM.
    >>

    > It Picked Slackware and or Gentoo
    >
    > I was going to try gentoo one day.

    The most "expert" part of the install is partitioning your hard disks and
    configuring the kernel. Other than that it's simple if you stick to the
    instructions.

    Just shout if you need a hand, I've done it enough times now t obe
    reasonably familiar with it.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jul 18, 2005
  7. PAM.

    Chris Hope Guest

    Allistar wrote:

    > Robert Cooze wrote:
    >
    >> PAM. wrote:
    >>> I like this wizard. Even if you don't use Linux, it's nice to see
    >>> something there that's aimed at people at least wanting to give it a
    >>> go.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php
    >>>
    >>> PAM.
    >>>

    >> It Picked Slackware and or Gentoo
    >>
    >> I was going to try gentoo one day.

    > The most "expert" part of the install is partitioning your hard disks
    > and configuring the kernel. Other than that it's simple if you stick
    > to the instructions.
    >
    > Just shout if you need a hand, I've done it enough times now t obe
    > reasonably familiar with it.

    It pays to have another machine available with the handbook on it (or
    print it out beforehand). It's an excellent reference for setting up a
    Gentoo box and I for one would be lost without it when setting up new
    Gentoo machines :)

    Chris Hope, Jul 18, 2005
  8. PAM.

    PAM. Guest

    > hhe, when I did it, it picked Linspire and Xandros... the two I happen
    > to tinker with... followed up by Lycoris, Debian, Ubuntu, Kubuntu,
    > Mandriva, Mepis, PCLinuxOS and then finally Fedora...

    When I had a go it said Kubuntu. When I selected it for my brothers, (one
    windows user and one mac user) based on what I know they know, it picked
    Linspire and Xandros.

    I use Linspire

    PAM.

    PAM., Jul 19, 2005
  9. PAM.

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Robert Cooze wrote:
    >
    >>> I like this wizard. Even if you don't use Linux, it's nice to see
    >>> something
    >>> there that's aimed at people at least wanting to give it a go.
    >>> http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php

    >> It Picked Slackware and or Gentoo
    >> I was going to try gentoo one day.

    > hhe, when I did it, it picked Linspire and Xandros... the two I happen
    > to tinker with... followed up by Lycoris, Debian, Ubuntu, Kubuntu,
    > Mandriva, Mepis, PCLinuxOS and then finally Fedora...
    >
    > The main criteria was that it was simple to install, and simple to
    > install Apps... single click for the first two.

    So much choice so little time :(

    Not so worryed about the apps (most seem to work out of the out of the
    tar.gz).

    Robert Cooze, Jul 19, 2005
  10. PAM.

    Bill Ewing Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:02:18 +1200, "PAM." <> wrote:

    >When I had a go it said Kubuntu. When I selected it for my brothers, (one
    >windows user and one mac user) based on what I know they know, it picked
    >Linspire and Xandros.
    >
    >I use Linspire
    >
    >PAM.

    Please tell me what you think of Linspire. I would like to try
    it and have set aside an empty partition on my HD for it but
    haven't got around to installing it yet. Your views would be
    appreciated.
    Bill E....

    Bill Ewing, Jul 19, 2005
  11. PAM.

    PAM. Guest

    "Bill Ewing" <> wrote in message

    > Please tell me what you think of Linspire. I would like to try
    > it and have set aside an empty partition on my HD for it but
    > haven't got around to installing it yet. Your views would be
    > appreciated.

    It works for me. Network, Wifi, apps, Email, Browsing, Sound, vision. modem
    (dialup and ADSL).
    The "drivers" for sound and video may not be the best for games playing but
    then what games can you get for Linux :)
    Laptops are sometimes tricky to have Linspire intalled on from what I've
    heard.
    Once you buy it you realise that you need the CNR (Click N Run) interface if
    you want to have any of the applications in the Linspire warehouse that you
    can download and install in one click. This costs EXTRA and is US$50 a year.
    The applications in CNR are usually a version behind. Some of them are
    always kept up to date though. I think it has something more to do with
    licensing and the like than speed at trying to get the most current
    developed/tweaked into CNR.
    Why pay for software you can get on the 'net for free. You're paying for
    ease of use and support. You don't have to but you then don't use 1 click
    installs. Linspire is Debian based so you use apt-get etc to get the
    software. If you know how. Although there's Autopackage (?) which could be
    interesting to look at.
    Installation is fast. (10 mins) Installs on one partition you select from
    Advanced mode or wipes the WHOLE DRIVE in normal mode. Be CAREFUL and back
    up important data.
    When installing an update of the OS, it wipes out your settings so you have
    to reinstall them all again. Other Linux versions and windows don't do this.
    Applications CRASH. I have not had the OS crash on me at all. EVER. Some
    Applications however crash and they either hang (Limewire is a fave for some
    reason for me) or they close and the crash handler sorts it all out. If it
    hangs, I use the terminate app to kill it and restart it. If the crash
    handler closes it, I reopen the app. Sometimes this can cause other issues.
    A crashing music app can make the sound disappear. A reboot sorts this out.
    It can be fast to boot but mine is slow. 1GHz Older PC. Linspire Internet
    Suite is Mozilla and is slow to load but OK to run. You can install other
    browsers and email clients if you wish, through CNR. I use Mozilla and
    Konqueror (file browser) to surf. I enjoy using Konq more but EMPTY junkmail
    in Hotmail account doesn't work for some reason. A setting perhaps. KDE is
    the GUI. No other GUI is availabe AFAIK.
    When installed, you have a handfull of software. Enough for what you need.
    Email, Browsing, Office (open office), Music, CD burning, er....and a few
    crap games. Unlike other Linux OS's it does not load up loads of software
    all over the place.
    The start menu is very organised IMO.
    You can buy (In USA) PC's that has Linspire preloaded. Or a laptop. Dell are
    now selling with Linux if you ask for it. (USA. Not sure about NZ).
    The forums are very helpful.
    learned a bit about Linux and successfully installed other software using
    apt-get and/or compiling your own programs on there. After that, you don't
    'need' to have CNR ever again but then you can have a different Linux distro
    if you want to with all their fancy graphics.
    I use it because it's easy. Easier to install programs than windows too. I
    do not pay the $50 a year because a year or 2 ago Lindows (Linspires old
    name) were trying to raise money to fight Microsoft over the Lindows name,
    which they gave up and rebranded, and so I paid US$100 or was that US$200
    for a lifetime membership to CNR. So I get updates and new OS versions for
    no extra payment. Some people bought more than one of these so they could
    sell later. Unfortunately I didn't. Kick, kick, kick.
    They occasionally give these lifetime memberships away in competitions.

    HTH,

    PAM.

    PAM., Jul 20, 2005
  12. PAM.

    PAM. Guest

    PAM., Jul 20, 2005
  13. PAM.

    PAM. Guest

    PAM., Jul 20, 2005
  14. PAM.

    Bill Ewing Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:38:09 +1200, "PAM." <> wrote:

> [...]

    >learned a bit about Linux and successfully installed other software using
    >apt-get and/or compiling your own programs on there. After that, you don't
    >'need' to have CNR ever again but then you can have a different Linux distro
    >if you want to with all their fancy graphics.
    >I use it because it's easy. Easier to install programs than windows too. I
    >do not pay the $50 a year because a year or 2 ago Lindows (Linspires old
    >name) were trying to raise money to fight Microsoft over the Lindows name,
    >which they gave up and rebranded, and so I paid US$100 or was that US$200
    >for a lifetime membership to CNR. So I get updates and new OS versions for
    >no extra payment. Some people bought more than one of these so they could
    >sell later. Unfortunately I didn't. Kick, kick, kick.
    >They occasionally give these lifetime memberships away in competitions.

    Thank you, PAM, for a very interesting and informative reply.
    Greatly appreciated.
    Bill E....

    Bill Ewing, Jul 21, 2005
  15. PAM.

    steve Guest

    PAM. wrote:
    > I like this wizard. Even if you don't use Linux, it's nice to see something
    > there that's aimed at people at least wanting to give it a go.
    >
    > http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php
    >
    > PAM.

    Interesting.

    Based on my requirements, it recommended Linspire or Xandros....and I do
    use Xandros already.

    steve, Jul 22, 2005
  16. On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 07:18:47 +1200, Robert Cooze
    <> wrote:

    >PAM. wrote:
    >> I like this wizard. Even if you don't use Linux, it's nice to see something
    >> there that's aimed at people at least wanting to give it a go.
    >>
    >> http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php
    >>
    >> PAM.
    >>

    >It Picked Slackware and or Gentoo
    >
    >I was going to try gentoo one day.

    It also picked Slackware and Gentoo for myself.. both are the distros
    I use :)

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Jul 22, 2005
  17. PAM.

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    "Kristofer Clayton" <> wrote:

    > It also picked Slackware and Gentoo for myself.. both are the distros
    > I use :)

    It picked Linspire as best for me, while I actually use Slack :-(

    I kept waiting for the question about what IDE I preferred e.g. emacs vs
    KDevelop), but the question nver came :-(

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Jul 22, 2005
  18. In article <>,
    Bruce Hoult <> wrote:

    >I kept waiting for the question about what IDE I preferred e.g. emacs vs
    >KDevelop), but the question nver came :-(

    Emacs!

    Actually I'm still an Emacs beginner...

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 22, 2005
  19. PAM.

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Bruce Hoult <> wrote:
    >
    > >I kept waiting for the question about what IDE I preferred e.g. emacs vs
    > >KDevelop), but the question nver came :-(

    > Emacs!
    >
    > Actually I'm still an Emacs beginner...

    I had to learn emacs quickly in 1997 when a place I'd been doing NT
    3.5.1 development for (using VC++ 4.2) moved me to a team using FTX on
    Stratus. It's been my cross-platform editor of choice pretty much since
    then -- there are things that MPW or CodeWarrior or Visual Studio or
    Kate do better out of the box, but once you know emacs you can use it
    anywhere.

    I'd think you'd like it, as it's got a lot in common with MPW, just
    using lisp instead of shell scripting as the extension language. In
    fact, when I had no longer had any other reason to use Classic a couple
    of years ago I converted all the MPW shell scripts I still used to
    emacs. Just a in MPW, you have a multi-file text editor in which you
    can insert editor commands anywhere (in MPW you execute them using
    <enter>, in emacs with c-x c-e by default) and you can rebind any
    keystroke to arbitrary commands.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Jul 22, 2005
  20. PAM.

    PAM. Guest

    "Bruce Hoult" <> wrote in message
    > I had to learn emacs quickly in 1997 when a place I'd been doing NT
    > 3.5.1 development for (using VC++ 4.2) moved me to a team using FTX on
    > Stratus. It's been my cross-platform editor of choice pretty much since
    > then -- there are things that MPW or CodeWarrior or Visual Studio or
    > Kate do better out of the box, but once you know emacs you can use it
    > anywhere.

    Have you looked at jEdit (.org). Quite a fancy Editor. Multi platform. Does
    even better than Kate out of the box too, IMO.

    PAM.

    PAM., Jul 24, 2005