    FF is not open, it's listed under the "processes tab" as 00 CPU - so
    what's wrong? At the very least, why did it get confused?

    TIA

    sf, Jun 25, 2006

  2. sf

    Miller Guest

    *sf* wrote on 25.06.06 23:17:
    > Maybe I all I need to do is reboot, maybe not but I'll ask here.
    > Apparently something happened to confuse FF. I was actively using
    > Chatzilla when all chat stopped. I had no indication of being
    > disconnected, but the conversation suddenly became one sided. I
    > disconnected and shut down FF. Now, when I try to start FF, I get a
    > small window that asks me to choose a user profile. I have only one
    > called "default". When I click on "start Firefox", I get another
    > message saying "firefox cannot use the profile "default" because it's
    > in use. How do I quit this profile? A look at Task Manager tells me
    > FF is not open, it's listed under the "processes tab" as 00 CPU - so
    > what's wrong? At the very least, why did it get confused?

    Close FF completely (maybe kill it with the taskmanager), go to your
    FF-profile and delete the file called "parent.lock" - if it exists.
    This should help.

    cu, Miller

    Miller, Jun 25, 2006

  3. sf

    Miller Guest

    Miller, Jun 25, 2006
  4. sf

    sf Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 23:29:42 +0200, Miller wrote:

    > *sf* wrote on 25.06.06 23:17:
    > > Maybe I all I need to do is reboot, maybe not so I'll ask here.
    > > Apparently something happened to confuse FF. I was actively using
    > > Chatzilla when all chat stopped. I had no indication of being
    > > disconnected, but the conversation suddenly became one sided. I
    > > disconnected and shut down FF. Now, when I try to start FF, I get a
    > > small window that asks me to choose a user profile. I have only one
    > > called "default". When I click on "start Firefox", I get another
    > > message saying "firefox cannot use the profile "default" because it's
    > > in use. How do I quit this profile? A look at Task Manager tells me
    > > FF is not open, it's listed under the "processes tab" as 00 CPU - so
    > > what's wrong? At the very least, why did it get confused?

    > Close FF completely (maybe kill it with the taskmanager), go to your
    > FF-profile and delete the file called "parent.lock" - if it exists.
    > This should help.

    Thanks. I was debating killing it with the task manager, processes
    tab, but what I did was reboot the computer and that fixed whatever
    confusion FF had. It was very odd behavior.

    sf, Jun 26, 2006
  5. sf

    sf, Jun 26, 2006
  6. sf

    sf Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 23:29:42 +0200, Miller wrote:

    > Close FF completely (maybe kill it with the taskmanager), go to your
    > FF-profile and delete the file called "parent.lock" - if it exists.
    > This should help.

    OK, it just happened again and CZ was not in use. I killed FF using
    task Manager > Processes and was able to get it started again. Please
    tell me how to find FF "profile". Not even "search" turned up
    anything. Obviously I don't use one and wish I could just eliminate
    the entire mess.

    sf, Jun 26, 2006
  7. sf

    sf, Jun 26, 2006
  8. sf

    Rom Guest

    <http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile>
    <http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html>

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Jun 26, 2006
  9. sf

    Rom, Jun 26, 2006
  10. sf

    Ed Mullen Guest

    sf wrote:
    > On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 23:29:42 +0200, Miller wrote:
    >
    >> Close FF completely (maybe kill it with the taskmanager), go to your
    >> FF-profile and delete the file called "parent.lock" - if it exists.
    >> This should help.

    > OK, it just happened again and CZ was not in use. I killed FF using
    > task Manager > Processes and was able to get it started again. Please
    > tell me how to find FF "profile". Not even "search" turned up
    > anything. Obviously I don't use one and wish I could just eliminate
    > the entire mess.

    You DO use a profile. You MUST, it's the only way the program works.
    If you're using Windows you must change the OS default settings to
    unhide system folders (which is where your profile is stored). See:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...docs/en-us/win_fcab_show_file_extensions.mspx

    The problem is that something is causing FF to not terminate all
    processes when you close it. That leaves a file (parent.lock) in your
    profile folder. When you next try to open FF it sees that file and
    assumes the profile is already in use and prompts you to choose (or
    create) another one.

    If using Windows try closing FF using the File - Exit command instead of
    clicking the Close "X" box in the upper right corner of the program
    window. This makes a difference for some users.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jun 26, 2006
  11. sf

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Ed Mullen, Jun 26, 2006
  12. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:00:36 -0400, Ed Mullen wrote:

    > The problem is that something is causing FF to not terminate all
    > processes when you close it. That leaves a file (parent.lock) in your
    > profile folder. When you next try to open FF it sees that file and
    > assumes the profile is already in use and prompts you to choose (or
    > create) another one.
    >
    > If using Windows try closing FF using the File - Exit command instead of
    > clicking the Close "X" box in the upper right corner of the program
    > window. This makes a difference for some users.

    Thanks, I wasn't able to find a parent.lock today.... but FF is back
    to normal now. Hopefully it won't happen again and if it does
    hopefully I'll remember to search for parent.lock.

    sf, Jun 26, 2006
  13. sf

    sf, Jun 26, 2006
  14. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:34:55 +1000, Rom wrote:

    > On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 17:56:02 -0700, sf wrote:
    >
    > >OK, it just happened again and CZ was not in use. I killed FF using
    > >task Manager > Processes and was able to get it started again. Please
    > >tell me how to find FF "profile". Not even "search" turned up
    > >anything. Obviously I don't use one and wish I could just eliminate
    > >the entire mess.

    > <http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile>
    > <http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html>

    Thanks for the information!

    sf, Jun 26, 2006
  15. sf

    sf, Jun 26, 2006
  16. sf

    gwtc Guest

    sf wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:00:36 -0400, Ed Mullen wrote:
    >

    >> The problem is that something is causing FF to not terminate all
    >> processes when you close it. That leaves a file (parent.lock) in your
    >> profile folder. When you next try to open FF it sees that file and
    >> assumes the profile is already in use and prompts you to choose (or
    >> create) another one.
    >>
    >> If using Windows try closing FF using the File - Exit command instead of
    >> clicking the Close "X" box in the upper right corner of the program
    >> window. This makes a difference for some users.

    > Thanks, I wasn't able to find a parent.lock today.... but FF is back
    > to normal now. Hopefully it won't happen again and if it does
    > hopefully I'll remember to search for parent.lock.

    parent.lock only shows up when FF is running. If FF has been closed
    properly, then you won't see it. But, if you closed FF and its still
    running in the background, then you should see the file parent.lock
    and you can delete it.

    --
    Murphy's Laws of Computing: When you get to the point where you really
    understand your computer, it's probably obsolete.

    gwtc, Jun 26, 2006
  17. sf

    gwtc Guest

    gwtc, Jun 26, 2006
  18. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:47:11 -0700, gwtc wrote:

    > sf wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:00:36 -0400, Ed Mullen wrote:
    > >

    > >> The problem is that something is causing FF to not terminate all
    > >> processes when you close it. That leaves a file (parent.lock) in your
    > >> profile folder. When you next try to open FF it sees that file and
    > >> assumes the profile is already in use and prompts you to choose (or
    > >> create) another one.
    > >>
    > >> If using Windows try closing FF using the File - Exit command instead of
    > >> clicking the Close "X" box in the upper right corner of the program
    > >> window. This makes a difference for some users.

    > > Thanks, I wasn't able to find a parent.lock today.... but FF is back
    > > to normal now. Hopefully it won't happen again and if it does
    > > hopefully I'll remember to search for parent.lock.

    > parent.lock only shows up when FF is running. If FF has been closed
    > properly, then you won't see it. But, if you closed FF and its still
    > running in the background, then you should see the file parent.lock
    > and you can delete it.

    thanks for the additional information!

    sf, Jun 27, 2006
  19. sf