    conpared to any motherboard, not just Gigabyte. Have I been unlucky, or is
    it pretty indicative of MSI. Even their CD Rom's are built rather flimsy.

    Thoughts?

    Rider, Feb 17, 2004

  2. Rider

    cowboyz Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in message
    news:c0tsq8$b4c$...
    > If you were to choose from these two board manufacturers which would it

    be?

    > I've had far more trouble with MSI boards than I'd like to remember. Thats
    > conpared to any motherboard, not just Gigabyte. Have I been unlucky, or is
    > it pretty indicative of MSI. Even their CD Rom's are built rather flimsy.
    >
    > Thoughts?

    gigabyte all the way.

    I have never owned an MSI board because I have always perceived them as sit.
    I don't know if it is warrented or not.

    cowboyz, Feb 17, 2004

  3. Rider

    steve Guest

    Rider wrote:

    > If you were to choose from these two board manufacturers which would it
    > be?
    >
    > I've had far more trouble with MSI boards than I'd like to remember. Thats
    > conpared to any motherboard, not just Gigabyte. Have I been unlucky, or is
    > it pretty indicative of MSI. Even their CD Rom's are built rather flimsy.
    >
    > Thoughts?

    You know? It depends on the board.

    I've had crap boards from every major vendor.

    I've had great boards from every major vendor.

    It's luck....and not buying the new-hotness until some other bugger has
    already pulled his hair out...or not.

    steve, Feb 18, 2004
  4. Rider

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:52:46 +1300, cowboyz wrote:

    > gigabyte all the way.

    As another posted said, in no so many words. I have had two gigabyte MB
    crap out.

    So they are not at the top of my list.

    Gordon, Feb 18, 2004
  5. Rider

    MarkH Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in

    > If you were to choose from these two board manufacturers which would
    > it be?
    >
    > I've had far more trouble with MSI boards than I'd like to remember.
    > Thats conpared to any motherboard, not just Gigabyte. Have I been
    > unlucky, or is it pretty indicative of MSI. Even their CD Rom's are
    > built rather flimsy.
    >
    > Thoughts?

    I think that MSI are OK for a cheap brand.

    I would personally look at Asus or Gigabyte and forget MSI.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Feb 18, 2004
  6. Rider

    steve Guest

    MarkH wrote:

    > I would personally look at Asus or Gigabyte and forget MSI.

    I bought ONLY ASUS for a couple of years...and they were afflicted like
    everyone with occasional buggy shipsets from OEM chipmakers like VIA or
    whoever.

    steve, Feb 18, 2004
  7. Rider

    MarkH Guest

    steve <> wrote in news:pTDYb.24882$:

    > MarkH wrote:
    >
    >> I would personally look at Asus or Gigabyte and forget MSI.

    > I bought ONLY ASUS for a couple of years...and they were afflicted like
    > everyone with occasional buggy shipsets from OEM chipmakers like VIA or
    > whoever.

    I don’t think anyone has made any claim that there is any brand that will
    never have a single problem. However I have found Asus to be generally
    very reliable, good performance and good quality.

    My 16 month old Asus P4PE board has USB2 (6 ports) firewire, gigabit LAN
    and has never skipped a beat. Good features, good reliability and good
    performance.

    I also used to do onsite warranty work for an OEM that used Asus boards,
    then they switched to Tekram boards, then to MSI. Asus failures were so
    much less than Tekram or MSI, I’d rather pay the extra to get the better
    quality.

    MarkH, Feb 18, 2004
  8. On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:15:55 +1300, Rider wrote:

    > If you were to choose from these two board manufacturers which would it be?

    Neither, preferably.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Feb 18, 2004
  9. Rider

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <c0tsq8$b4c$>,
    says...
    > If you were to choose from these two board manufacturers which would it be?
    >
    > I've had far more trouble with MSI boards than I'd like to remember. Thats
    > conpared to any motherboard, not just Gigabyte. Have I been unlucky, or is
    > it pretty indicative of MSI. Even their CD Rom's are built rather flimsy.

    We had a suite of 10 MSI 5150 PCs (otherwise known in NZ as the PC Direct
    520VS). This is a low profile desktop pc that was imported to NZ I
    believe as a complete unit, although I could be wrong about that (the
    manuals for it describe it as a complete unit, not just a motherboard)

    The main concern is that on two of them the onboard NIC has failed and
    had to be replaced with a NIC card in one of the 2 slots. Although it is
    easy enough to jumper out the onboard nic.

    Mainlander, Feb 18, 2004
  10. Rider

    Disco Stu Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > If you were to choose from these two board manufacturers which would it be?
    >
    > I've had far more trouble with MSI boards than I'd like to remember. Thats
    > conpared to any motherboard, not just Gigabyte. Have I been unlucky, or is
    > it pretty indicative of MSI. Even their CD Rom's are built rather flimsy.
    >
    > Thoughts?

    I've no experience with Gigabyte, but I do prefer my VIA M/B to the
    several MSI M/Bs I've owned over the years.

    To give MSI their dues, their M/Bs were very very affordable, but had a
    few minor problems that I was able to work around.

    Disco Stu, Feb 18, 2004
  11. Rider

    Michael Foot Guest

    Mainlander wrote:

    > We had a suite of 10 MSI 5150 PCs (otherwise known in NZ as the PC Direct
    > 520VS). This is a low profile desktop pc that was imported to NZ I
    > believe as a complete unit, although I could be wrong about that (the
    > manuals for it describe it as a complete unit, not just a motherboard)
    >
    > The main concern is that on two of them the onboard NIC has failed and
    > had to be replaced with a NIC card in one of the 2 slots. Although it is
    > easy enough to jumper out the onboard nic.

    I've had the same experience with this machine and motherboard. The on board lan
    has failed on both the 520vs machines I have here. I've had various problems with
    other MSI motherboards too. I've not had a Gigabyte motherboard before but have
    found ASUS boards the best so far.

    Cheers,

    Mike.

    Michael Foot, Feb 19, 2004