Choice of a better camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steve, Apr 28, 2005.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Currently own a Traveler (from Aldi stores) 6 mpx digital camera. It cost
    £180. Its compact and takes reasonable pictures but skies have a tinge of
    off 'rainbow effect' colours round clouds and the detail and sharpness I'm
    sure could be a lot better for 6 mpx. The lens when extended is a little
    loose so I'm not convinced the quality is brilliant. For around £200 now I
    can get a good brand camera and am considering the following:

    1. Canon Powershot G6 (7.1 mpx)
    2. Canon Powershot A-95 (5 mpx)

    I know these will not be as compact as my Traveler DC6300 but I guess to get
    the better quality size has to suffer a little.

    I wonder is anyone has advice or owns these cameras? maybe there is
    something else to consider? I don't want a big bulky camera as it has to go
    walking with me. I HATE grain in pictures and most of my work is point and
    shoot so a good autofocus is essential. A good sharp result is required and
    need to be able to zoom in on detail when viewing the pictures later.

    The A-95 seems more compact but I like the idea of 7 mpx on the G6. Both
    cameras are useful in that they take SD cards and I have loads of these.
    Steve, Apr 28, 2005

  2. Steve

    Pete Fenelon Guest

    Steve <> wrote:

    > The A-95 seems more compact but I like the idea of 7 mpx on the G6. Both
    > cameras are useful in that they take SD cards and I have loads of these.

    What I've seen of A95 output is very good for an economical P&S compact,
    although the lens is nowt to write home about.

    The G6 though is an excellent camera (bit short of zoom for my tastes,
    but for the sort of pics I take that's often vital) that brings a lot
    of dSLR features down to a (fairly big) compact. It's a hell of a lot
    of camera for 200 quid if you can get it for that price, but size/weight
    could well be the deciding factor.

    pete
    --
    "Send lawyers, guns and money...."
    Pete Fenelon, Apr 29, 2005

  3. Steve

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:02:57 GMT, Steve wrote:

    > For around £200 now I
    > can get a good brand camera and am considering the following:
    >
    > 1. Canon Powershot G6 (7.1 mpx)
    > 2. Canon Powershot A-95 (5 mpx)
    >
    > I know these will not be as compact as my Traveler DC6300 but I guess to get
    > the better quality size has to suffer a little.
    >
    > I wonder is anyone has advice or owns these cameras? maybe there is
    > something else to consider? I don't want a big bulky camera as it has to go
    > walking with me. I HATE grain in pictures and most of my work is point and
    > shoot so a good autofocus is essential. A good sharp result is required and
    > need to be able to zoom in on detail when viewing the pictures later.
    >
    > The A-95 seems more compact but I like the idea of 7 mpx on the G6. Both
    > cameras are useful in that they take SD cards and I have loads of these.

    I don't have these cameras but I just finished examining (talked
    about in another thread) pictures produced by the A95 and the G6.
    The G6's pictures were dramatically better, but it is a bulkier
    camera. You might also want to consider the Canon S70, another 7mp
    camera that's probably nearly as fully featured as the G6, but much
    more portable. The reviews of earlier S series PowerShots (S10,
    S20, S30, S40, S45, S50, and the still available S60) indicated that
    their lenses were excellent, and even the S10(2mp) and S20(3mp)
    produced very good pictures, despite their limited sensors.
    ASAAR, Apr 29, 2005
  4. Steve

    james Guest

    In article <l4dce.4484$>,
    Steve <> wrote:

    >The A-95 seems more compact but I like the idea of 7 mpx on the G6. Both
    >cameras are useful in that they take SD cards and I have loads of these.

    They take CF cards, but I consider that a plus.

    Also, I'd still feel comfortable recommending the 4MP Canon A85.
    I actually prefer it to the A95, for reasons I can't quite quantify.
    One megapixel isn't really significant, since it's a quadratic
    proportion.

    My Powershot is a complement to my 20D and my film SLR, so do consider
    that along with my recommendation. But I don't think the A95 is worth
    the extra money, as long as you can get the 85 for much cheaper.

    I don't like the swiveling LCD at all. You might like it.
    james, Apr 29, 2005
  5. Steve

    Paul Rubin Guest

    (james) writes:
    > Also, I'd still feel comfortable recommending the 4MP Canon A85.
    > I actually prefer it to the A95, for reasons I can't quite quantify.

    What do you think of the A75? I don't care about rotating lcd's and
    want a small camera that uses AA cells and CF.
    Paul Rubin, Apr 29, 2005
  6. Steve

    james Guest

    In article <>,
    Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:

    > (james) writes:
    >> Also, I'd still feel comfortable recommending the 4MP Canon A85.
    >> I actually prefer it to the A95, for reasons I can't quite quantify.

    >What do you think of the A75? I don't care about rotating lcd's and
    >want a small camera that uses AA cells and CF.

    Yeah, also pretty good! I really like the way that having the Av, Tv,
    and Creative Zones complements my Canon SLR. I can't speak personally
    about the 75, but it's pretty much the same camera, just a smaller CCD.
    Same lens, right?

    Outstanding battery life using PowerEx NiMH's, at least with the power
    saving function turned on.

    The things I like about my A85 look to be the same on the A75. Despite
    what I said about Megapixels not mattering so much, I do think I'd take
    a 4.0 over a 3.2, even though I don't want to pay a premium for "just"
    5.

    Bear in mind, this camera to me is a complement to my really great SLR,
    and if it was my only camera, I'd want more zoom.

    I am definitely going to get the scuba housing before my next trip.
    That was a factor as well.

    Do get a MaHa charger and some Powerex NiMH's, no matter what AA camera
    you use. Also, Rosewill CF cards have been the fastest in my
    unscientific tests.
    james, Apr 29, 2005
  7. Steve

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > Currently own a Traveler (from Aldi stores) 6 mpx digital camera. It cost
    > £180. Its compact and takes reasonable pictures but skies have a tinge of
    > off 'rainbow effect' colours round clouds and the detail and sharpness I'm
    > sure could be a lot better for 6 mpx. The lens when extended is a little
    > loose so I'm not convinced the quality is brilliant. For around £200 now I
    > can get a good brand camera and am considering the following:
    >
    > 1. Canon Powershot G6 (7.1 mpx)
    > 2. Canon Powershot A-95 (5 mpx)
    >
    > I know these will not be as compact as my Traveler DC6300 but I guess to get
    > the better quality size has to suffer a little.
    >
    > I wonder is anyone has advice or owns these cameras? maybe there is
    > something else to consider? I don't want a big bulky camera as it has to go
    > walking with me. I HATE grain in pictures and most of my work is point and
    > shoot so a good autofocus is essential. A good sharp result is required and
    > need to be able to zoom in on detail when viewing the pictures later.
    >
    > The A-95 seems more compact but I like the idea of 7 mpx on the G6. Both
    > cameras are useful in that they take SD cards and I have loads of these.

    If you can put up with the size and weight of the G6, there really isn't
    any controversy. Get it.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Apr 29, 2005
  8. Steve

    Chris D Guest

    On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 00:28:44 GMT
    (james) wrote:

    > I don't like the swiveling LCD at all. You might like it.

    Until you use one, you don't know just how useful they can be!
    I Love ours for getting low to get shots of kids at floor level,
    or shots from kids in trees at their height. Much easier than
    getting up there yourself to look at the screen front on!

    Also worth mentioning that the A95 has a 1/1.8" sensor, the A85
    a 1/2.5".

    I Love our little A95, especially the screen, but as others have
    said, it's really not in the same league (And not designed to be
    in the same league!) as the G6.

    -Chris D
    Chris D, Apr 29, 2005
  9. Steve

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Chris D wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 00:28:44 GMT
    > (james) wrote:
    >

    >>I don't like the swiveling LCD at all. You might like it.

    > Until you use one, you don't know just how useful they can be!
    > I Love ours for getting low to get shots of kids at floor level,
    > or shots from kids in trees at their height. Much easier than
    > getting up there yourself to look at the screen front on!
    >
    > Also worth mentioning that the A95 has a 1/1.8" sensor, the A85
    > a 1/2.5".
    >
    > I Love our little A95, especially the screen, but as others have
    > said, it's really not in the same league (And not designed to be
    > in the same league!) as the G6.
    >
    > -Chris D

    I can see some uses for the flip and rotate display, but I think they
    make a bit of an ugly camera back, and if you deploy the thing, the
    camera becomes a bit ungainly. I prefer to use a viewfinder for as much
    work as possible.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Apr 29, 2005
  10. Steve

    Hyperoglyphe Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Chris D wrote:
    >> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 00:28:44 GMT
    >> (james) wrote:
    >>

    >>>I don't like the swiveling LCD at all. You might like it.

    >> Until you use one, you don't know just how useful they can be! I Love
    >> ours for getting low to get shots of kids at floor level,
    >> or shots from kids in trees at their height. Much easier than
    >> getting up there yourself to look at the screen front on!
    >>
    >> Also worth mentioning that the A95 has a 1/1.8" sensor, the A85
    >> a 1/2.5".
    >>
    >> I Love our little A95, especially the screen, but as others have
    >> said, it's really not in the same league (And not designed to be
    >> in the same league!) as the G6.
    >>
    >> -Chris D

    > I can see some uses for the flip and rotate display, but I think they make
    > a bit of an ugly camera back, and if you deploy the thing, the camera
    > becomes a bit ungainly. I prefer to use a viewfinder for as much work as
    > possible.

    I don't know about the A95, but on the A80 it can rotate back into the
    camera for flat "protusion free" viewing, if that is what you want- just
    like cameras that don't have a rotational display. My experience is the
    same as
    Chris D's: Very useful for "kid level" shots (be it high or low), fantastic
    for taking shots from above crowds without a sea of heads in the foreground.
    And what about scenic self portraits? Great for the solo tourist trying to
    get his/her mug into the shot. After a Ricoh RDC7, it was one of my top
    selection criteria for a P+S, behind shutter lag, startup speed and followed
    by a functional wireless remote.

    I'll stick with the viewfinder for the 20D, but the A80 gets a lot of use
    when portability is the priority.

    With respect to the G6, we (company) picked one of those up as well about 6
    months ago, I've used it a few times. Very good if you don't mind the low
    optical zoom and the bulk- picutres are great. I'm generally using the A80
    and the 20D.

    We are not Canon chauvinists as another good one we have is an Olympus C770.
    The 10x optical zoom is great if that is your need- we certainly have no
    complaints, but a purist may be able to comment on the relative lens
    quality: my guess is it is pretty good for this type of equipment. Low
    light auto sensing does seem to take longer than on the Canons, frequently
    requiring "half shutter" to hold settings for timely shot execution. None
    of us were happy with the Kodaks we have had. Other workers complained of
    shutter lag, the only one I had I dropped the day I got it... It wasn't as
    tough as the scratched and dented but still very functional A80. The Ricoh
    RDC7 was really good 5 or 6 years ago and is still going strong but I've no
    experience with the new ones.

    Dave
    Hyperoglyphe, Apr 29, 2005
  11. Steve

    Chris D Guest

    On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:47:40 +0800
    "Hyperoglyphe" <> wrote:

    > I don't know about the A95, but on the A80 it can rotate back
    > into the camera for flat "protusion free" viewing, if that is
    > what you want- just like cameras that don't have a rotational
    > display.

    Yep, Same with the A95, it will flip around and fit flush with
    the camera, so it looks exactly like a normal LCD on any other
    digicam. I Use the viewfinder a lot for shots as well,
    especially shooting in the burst mode, and find that rotating
    the LCD around so that it's hidden and protected in the camera
    body stops my nose smearing against it as well.

    -Chris D
    Chris D, Apr 29, 2005
  12. Steve

    Fastfwd Guest

    > If you can put up with the size and weight of the G6, there really isn't
    > any controversy. Get it.
    >

    > --
    > Ron Hunter

    I got my G6 in last week and I love it. This is my first camera more
    advanced than a point and shoot (really cheap ones at that). I was very
    impressed by the comparison photos I found that were shot with it in capable
    hands and I'm really blown away with some of the pictures that I've taken
    with it so far. I'm not disappointed.

    --
    A sickened mind and spirit
    The mirror tells me lies