Choice: DL'ing to laptop or to portable image storage device during vacation

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Renee, Jun 19, 2004.

  1. Renee

    Renee Guest

    I have two 256 CF cards and I don't want to purchase any more at this time.
    I intend to take a lot pictures during my vacation and need a place to
    off-load them from the cards. I don't mind dragging my laptop along because
    it'll be kept relatively safe locked in the cruise cabin. But I'd rather not
    bother with the extra weight (and headaches) if I don't have to.

    I've been through Steve's Digicam site and looked at a few of the portable
    image devices. One in particular has caught my eye. It's Addonics 16-in-1
    MFR - Multi Function Recorder. It read all type of cards and burns them to
    CDs. You can hook it up to a TV to play DVDs, VCDs, Audio CDs, MP3, JPEGs
    and such. The feature I really like is that it is also a stand-alone MP3
    player, so I could take the unit down to pool or beach and listen to my MP3
    CDs. I have tons of MP3 so I thought this sounds like a great idea!

    Other than the price, this all sounds too good to be true. Am I overlooking
    any considerations? Has anyone else had any experience with Addonics MFR?

    The other device I briefly considered was the Micro Solutions Roadstor.
    However, the product description implies you play MP3 files through a TV,
    and that the unit is not a true stand-alone MP3 player (one you could not
    take down to the pool like the Addonics MFR). Since I'd really like to have
    MP3s on a stand-alone storage device, I'm leaning toward Addonics. Does
    anyone know if the Roadstor can work as a stand-alone MP3 player, or does it
    need the TV?

    Does anyone have any knowledge about or experience with either of these two
    products they can share with me?

    Both these unit burn files from flash cards to CDs. I like the idea that
    they're also portable DVD players for playing movies. And I like being able
    to listen to my MP3s. There are other unit out there that are hard drive
    based and you can't play DVDs or CDs on them, so I took them out of
    consideration.

    Let's see ... Am I overlooking anything else? Hope you'll let me know if I
    am.

    Thanks in advance, all

    Renee
    Renee, Jun 19, 2004

  2. Renee

    adm Guest

    "Renee" <> wrote in message
    > I have two 256 CF cards and I don't want to purchase any more at this

    time.
    > I intend to take a lot pictures during my vacation and need a place to
    > off-load them from the cards. I don't mind dragging my laptop along

    because
    > it'll be kept relatively safe locked in the cruise cabin. But I'd rather

    not
    > bother with the extra weight (and headaches) if I don't have to.
    >
    > I've been through Steve's Digicam site and looked at a few of the portable
    > image devices. One in particular has caught my eye. It's Addonics 16-in-1
    > MFR - Multi Function Recorder. It read all type of cards and burns them to
    > CDs. You can hook it up to a TV to play DVDs, VCDs, Audio CDs, MP3, JPEGs
    > and such. The feature I really like is that it is also a stand-alone MP3
    > player, so I could take the unit down to pool or beach and listen to my

    MP3
    > CDs. I have tons of MP3 so I thought this sounds like a great idea!

    Well - although it seems to be frowned on in this group, what might just
    suit you down to the ground is an Apple iPod.

    Especially the 40G model !

    You can buy a card reader for it (from Belkin I think) and then use it as
    part photo storage and part mp3 player. Personally, I have about 30G of mp3s
    on mine and then the balance is for photos. For me, 7 or 8G of space lets me
    store around 1500 Nikon NEF RAW files which is plenty for my vacation needs.

    This way, you get the best mp3 player on the market, plus photo storage. It
    won't be the cheapest solution though.
    adm, Jun 19, 2004

  3. Renee

    Big Bill Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 07:48:40 GMT, "Renee" <> wrote:

    >I have two 256 CF cards and I don't want to purchase any more at this time.
    >I intend to take a lot pictures during my vacation and need a place to
    >off-load them from the cards. I don't mind dragging my laptop along because
    >it'll be kept relatively safe locked in the cruise cabin. But I'd rather not
    >bother with the extra weight (and headaches) if I don't have to.

    <SNIP>

    I like the laptop route.
    Yes, it can be a pain; when we took our last cruise, the laptop stayed
    in the cabin, for sure. And, since we usually have a cabin in steerage
    (inside cabin, so we don't have to row), the small desk is enough to
    use the laptop to check the day's shots.
    I once borrowed a small storage device based on a laptop drive, and I
    really missed the ability to review the day's pics on a screen. I
    don't think I'll do that again.
    When we went to Yellowstone, we traveled with some friends, and the
    ability to do a slideshow of the day's photos was a big hit.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"
    Big Bill, Jun 19, 2004
  4. Renee

    Marten Guest

    "Big Bill" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 07:48:40 GMT, "Renee" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I have two 256 CF cards and I don't want to purchase any more at this

    time.
    > >I intend to take a lot pictures during my vacation and need a place to
    > >off-load them from the cards. I don't mind dragging my laptop along

    because
    > >it'll be kept relatively safe locked in the cruise cabin. But I'd rather

    not
    > >bother with the extra weight (and headaches) if I don't have to.

    > <SNIP>
    >
    > I like the laptop route.
    > Yes, it can be a pain; when we took our last cruise, the laptop stayed
    > in the cabin, for sure. And, since we usually have a cabin in steerage
    > (inside cabin, so we don't have to row), the small desk is enough to
    > use the laptop to check the day's shots.
    > I once borrowed a small storage device based on a laptop drive, and I
    > really missed the ability to review the day's pics on a screen. I
    > don't think I'll do that again.
    > When we went to Yellowstone, we traveled with some friends, and the
    > ability to do a slideshow of the day's photos was a big hit.
    >
    > Bill Funk
    > Change "g" to "a"

    I agree a laptop is the way to go regardless of the extra weight. It is also
    nice to be able to burn them onto a cdr or cdrw as a backup. You never know
    when that becomes important.

    Marten
    Marten, Jun 19, 2004
  5. Renee

    leo Guest

    "Marten" <> wrote in message

    > I agree a laptop is the way to go regardless of the extra weight. It is

    also
    > nice to be able to burn them onto a cdr or cdrw as a backup. You never

    know
    > when that becomes important.
    >
    > Marten

    If you had a Sony VAIO TR3 which my friend got one a few months ago, it's
    too small and light to even bother to ponder, should I or should I not carry
    it. It'd always be in your backpack. ;-)
    [my 12" Powerbook is looking and feeling HEAVY and CLUMPY and no memory card
    readers!]
    leo, Jun 20, 2004
  6. Renee

    Big Bill Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 02:28:33 GMT, "leo" <> wrote:

    >"Marten" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I agree a laptop is the way to go regardless of the extra weight. It is

    >also
    >> nice to be able to burn them onto a cdr or cdrw as a backup. You never

    >know
    >> when that becomes important.
    >>
    >> Marten

    >If you had a Sony VAIO TR3 which my friend got one a few months ago, it's
    >too small and light to even bother to ponder, should I or should I not carry
    >it. It'd always be in your backpack. ;-)
    >[my 12" Powerbook is looking and feeling HEAVY and CLUMPY and no memory card
    >readers!]

    PCMCIA (PC card) readers aren't very expensive, and make d'loading to
    the laptop much faster than connecting the camera directly.
    And, yes, as Marten said, being able to burn a CD-R is nice.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"
    Big Bill, Jun 20, 2004
  7. Renee

    DK Guest

    i have come across "Image Tank" in ebay. seems promising but havent
    tried it. basically it has interfaces to memory card and an attached
    high capacity hard disk. certainly beats those microdrive imho

    DK, Jun 20, 2004