Chkdsk

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?RG91Zw==?=, Apr 26, 2006.

  1. No matter what I do I can't get the drive configured for open access to allow
    chkdsk to run. I've d/loaded SP2 as suggested and updated.. Any clues anyone?
    =?Utf-8?B?RG91Zw==?=, Apr 26, 2006

  2. I am currently experiencing this Vista x86, have you tried scheduling the
    CHKDSK on startup or is it also happening there or from the Command prompt?
    If you didn't schedule it, give it a try, open My Computer > right the drive
    on which XP is installed, click Properties > Tools, under "Error-checking",
    click Check Now > check the boxes for "Automatically fix file systems
    errors", "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". You will be
    prompted to do this on startup.

    Since this is an XP x86 issue, post to the appropriate ng for additiona help
    and suggestions:
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 26, 2006

  3. yes mate ive tried running it from the command prompt, scheduled, with and
    without switches, from the recovery console... I'm beginning to think its a
    bug, Ive even been disabling different pieces of software to see if that
    made any difference oh and from safe mode but none of it works

    =?Utf-8?B?RG91Zw==?=, Apr 26, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?RG91Zw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If you are sure nothing is updating, you could try a forced dismount /x
    command. If you run from the install cd, recovery console logon to the cd
    and execute the program on the cd, specifying the hard drive, with the
    dismount command and it still doesn't run, you are probably out of luck.
    This is only available for NTFS, so if you are using FAT32 you won't be able
    to use the forced dismount command.

    John Barnes, Apr 26, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?RG91Zw==?=

    Rick Guest

    When did SP2 come out? The last I heard Win x64 was only at SP1!

    Rick, Apr 26, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?RG91Zw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    As Andre pointed out above this is appropriate for the x86 group

    John Barnes, Apr 26, 2006
  7. Thanks for the advice guys I'll try a forced dismount. The odd thing is I
    have two identical machines. One I use for work that I keep "clean" for work
    and away from the internet dodgy dowloads and games etc. The other I use for
    all the above and it is the "clean" one I'm having problems with. The other
    is ok. For information and in case it helps the laptops are both: HP AMD
    Athlon(tm) 64 3400+ with 512 MB RAM running Win XP Pro Version 2002 with
    Service Pack 2 and 60 Gb Hard Discs. If Any1 wants SP2 I'll happily burn you
    a disc and post it you. Once again Many Thanks for your trouble Doug

    =?Utf-8?B?RG91Zw==?=, Apr 27, 2006