    Then it did some kind of scan...several scans...and window went away.
    How do I get around this and run chkdsk from My Computer?
    Thanks a million!!!

    Me/PDX, May 26, 2004

  2. Me/PDX

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Me/PDX" <> wrote in message
    news:WzUsc.832$...
    > Using XP Home Edition
    > Cannot run chkdsk from My Computer
    > I did a search on chkdsk and found it...clicked on it and black window

    (like
    > the old dos window) came up stating chkdsk is in read-only mode.
    > Then it did some kind of scan...several scans...and window went away.
    > How do I get around this and run chkdsk from My Computer?
    > Thanks a million!!!

    It went away because it was finished, and Windows closed the window. Start a
    command window (start / run / cmd) then run it in that window.

    Toolman Tim, May 26, 2004

  3. Me/PDX

    Me/PDX Guest

    that brings up a black window...what do I do then to run chkdsk?

    SEE MY NOTE IN LAST TWO LINES BELOW
    "Toolman Tim" <ToolmanTim_at_charter_net_invalid> wrote in message

    > "Me/PDX" <> wrote in message
    > > Using XP Home Edition
    > > Cannot run chkdsk from My Computer
    > > I did a search on chkdsk and found it...clicked on it and black window

    > (like
    > > the old dos window) came up stating chkdsk is in read-only mode.
    > > Then it did some kind of scan...several scans...and window went away.
    > > How do I get around this and run chkdsk from My Computer?
    > > Thanks a million!!!
    > >

    > It went away because it was finished, (DO YOU MEAN THAT WINDOWS RAN AND

    COMPLETED CHKDSK?) and Windows closed the window. Start a

    Me/PDX, May 26, 2004
  4. Me/PDX

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Correct. chkdsk <enter> is "read only" mode, chkdsk /f <enter> will fix any
    errors it finds. You will need to close the window manually - type exit
    <enter> or click the red x.

    Toolman Tim, May 26, 2004
  5. Me/PDX

    DE Guest

    Me/PDX wrote:

    > Using XP Home Edition
    > Cannot run chkdsk from My Computer
    > I did a search on chkdsk and found it...clicked on it and black window (like
    > the old dos window) came up stating chkdsk is in read-only mode.
    > Then it did some kind of scan...several scans...and window went away.
    > How do I get around this and run chkdsk from My Computer?
    > Thanks a million!!!

    Why would you want to run it from a command-prompt box?

    Just open (double-click) My Computer, click once for the drive you want
    (i.e. click once to highlight C:), right-click & choose Properties, and
    click the Tools tab and you have the option to check the disk. Since you
    should run CHKDSK with everything possible closed -- including
    virus-scanner and screen-saver deactivated so they won't interfere -- you
    should use the system's built-in interface where possible.

    DE, May 26, 2004
  6. Me/PDX

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Wed, 26 May 2004 03:56:38 GMT, "Me/PDX" <> wrote:

    >Using XP Home Edition
    >Cannot run chkdsk from My Computer
    >I did a search on chkdsk and found it...clicked on it and black window (like
    >the old dos window) came up stating chkdsk is in read-only mode.
    >Then it did some kind of scan...several scans...and window went away.
    >How do I get around this and run chkdsk from My Computer?
    >Thanks a million!!!

    Run from the command prompt.

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, May 27, 2004
  7. Me/PDX

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Wed, 26 May 2004 03:36:09 -0700, DE <> wrote:

    >Me/PDX wrote:
    >
    >> Using XP Home Edition
    >> Cannot run chkdsk from My Computer
    >> I did a search on chkdsk and found it...clicked on it and black window (like
    >> the old dos window) came up stating chkdsk is in read-only mode.
    >> Then it did some kind of scan...several scans...and window went away.
    >> How do I get around this and run chkdsk from My Computer?
    >> Thanks a million!!!
    >>

    >Why would you want to run it from a command-prompt box?

    Because that is the way it is done.

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, May 27, 2004