    this seems to affect SATA drives more than IDE.

    Does anyone have an explanation as to why it takes so long?

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jun 8, 2007

  2. On Jun 8, 1:58 pm, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    > When doing a chkdsk/r with XP's recovery console I often find the process
    > takes 'hours' even on a totally empty drive. Adding to the puzzle is that
    > this seems to affect SATA drives more than IDE.
    >
    > Does anyone have an explanation as to why it takes so long?

    Is this just in the recovery console or in XP too?

    Also, just with /R or without is slow too? Bad HDDs?

    /R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Jun 8, 2007

  3. PeeCee

    Jasen Guest

    On 2007-06-08, PeeCee <> wrote:
    > When doing a chkdsk/r with XP's recovery console I often find the process
    > takes 'hours' even on a totally empty drive. Adding to the puzzle is that
    > this seems to affect SATA drives more than IDE.
    >
    > Does anyone have an explanation as to why it takes so long?

    Not until Microsoft release the details of how NTFS works.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen, Jun 8, 2007
  4. PeeCee

    Enkidu Guest

    PeeCee wrote:

    > When doing a chkdsk/r with XP's recovery console I often find the
    > process takes 'hours' even on a totally empty drive. Adding to the
    > puzzle is that this seems to affect SATA drives more than IDE.
    >
    > Does anyone have an explanation as to why it takes so long?

    It almost constitutes abuse to chkdsk an empty drive, since it can check
    the surface when you format it.

    Do you spend a lot of time using chkdsk on drives?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jun 8, 2007
  5. PeeCee

    El Chippy Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 13:58:41 +1200, PeeCee wrote:

    > When doing a chkdsk/r with XP's recovery console I often find the
    > process takes 'hours' even on a totally empty drive. Adding to the
    > puzzle is that this seems to affect SATA drives more than IDE.
    >
    > Does anyone have an explanation as to why it takes so long?
    >
    > Paul.

    I've never used recovery console (unless format c: /Y counts :) ) but I
    would hazard a guess that it might be because in the recovery console
    windows is accessing the drive in a maximum compatability mode. So
    instead of using UDMA or whatever they call the access mode on SATA
    drives it may be using an old slow PIO mode to access the drive.

    El Chippy, Jun 8, 2007
  6. PeeCee

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Enkidu <> wrote in news:46690b02$1
    @news2.actrix.gen.nz:

    > It almost constitutes abuse to chkdsk an empty drive, since it can check
    > the surface when you format it.
    >
    > Do you spend a lot of time using chkdsk on drives?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    I have had disk test tools to do a read write verify that takes 8 hours on
    a 40 gig hdd.

    Check disk /r is similar, stop doing it unless you really need to. If you
    are trying to recover data you might be breaking things.
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en
    -us/chkdsk.mspx?mfr=true

    --
    Ciao, Dave