chkdsk run???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Evan Platt, Sep 14, 2006.

  1. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 05:08:41 GMT, Luke O'Malley
    <> wrote:

    >I am running XP Home (2). I would like to run chkdsk/f on my
    >external hard drive. Would you please help?

    chkdsk /f <Drive>: - ie chkdsk /f F:

    Evan Platt, Sep 14, 2006

  2. "Luke O'Malley" <> wrote in message
    > I am running XP Home (2). I would like to run chkdsk/f on my
    > external hard drive. Would you please help?

    Open "My Computer".

    Right-click on the external drive, left-click on "Properties".

    Pick the "Tools" tab.

    Select the "Check Now" button, where it says "This option checks the drive
    for errors" or verbiage to that effect.

    Select "Scan for surface errors".

    As an option, select "Automatically fix file system errors".

    Note: I don't do that until I'm certain it's a healthy drive B)

    There you go!

    Now, if you really DO want to run CHKDSK /F on your external drive,
    go Start --> Run --> type in "CMD" without the quotes, and press the ENTER
    key.

    From there, type CHKDSK F: /F

    Presuming, of course, that your external drive is drive F:. If it's not,
    substitute the drive letter for the F in F: .

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Sep 17, 2006