    Any ideas about this,
    -Dan
    , Apr 18, 2005

  2. Galen Guest

    In news:,
    <> had this to say:

    > Hello
    >
    > I have a Seagate 120GB SATA disk with two partitions, a 30 gb for the
    > OS (XP Pro SP2) and a 90 gb for other things.
    > If I run chkdsk c: inside the OS it finds problems. If it runs after
    > restart its OK.
    > I ran it inside the recovery console and it didnt found problems. But
    > again if I run it from inside Windows it finds problems.
    >
    > Any ideas about this,
    > -Dan

    Running chkdsk from inside of the OS is sure to give you errors if it's the
    partition that you're booted to. Try this:

    start > run > type "chkdsk c: /f /r" without the quotes > hit enter > It
    should ask you about running it at the next reboot after telling you that it
    can't dismount the drive. Tell it that's what you want to do and reboot.
    However, if you've already run it outside of the OS and didn't find any
    problems then you should be all set. Additionally the /r switch implies the
    /f but it doesn't always work so using both will not harm anything or make
    it take any longer and, as a bonus, will insure that the /f switch is indeed
    applied.

    Galen
    Galen, Apr 18, 2005

  3. Guest Guest

    Guest, Apr 18, 2005
  4. <> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I have a Seagate 120GB SATA disk with two partitions, a 30 gb for the
    > OS (XP Pro SP2) and a 90 gb for other things.
    > If I run chkdsk c: inside the OS it finds problems. If it runs after
    > restart its OK.
    > I ran it inside the recovery console and it didnt found problems. But
    > again if I run it from inside Windows it finds problems.
    >
    > Any ideas about this,
    > -Dan

    To check for errors in XP:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265