  1. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    Can chkdsk be set to run automatically EVERY time the computer is started?
    WeeWilly, Oct 25, 2003

  2. WeeWilly

    Boomer Guest

    Boomer, Oct 25, 2003

  3. WeeWilly

    DH Guest

    Being as it's CHKDSK you're wanting to run, I assume it's Windows 98 or
    earlier. To run CHKDSK everytime you start your computer, simply create an
    Autoexec.bat in your root directory and add CHKDSK as a command line in the
    file. The Autoexec.bat will be executed everytime you start your computer.

    DH, Oct 25, 2003
  4. WeeWilly

    Boomer Guest

    "DH" <> wrote in

    > Being as it's CHKDSK you're wanting to run,

    I'm not wanting to run it. WeeWilly asked the question.

    Boomer, Oct 25, 2003
  5. Howdy!

    "DH" <> wrote in message
    > Being as it's CHKDSK you're wanting to run, I assume it's Windows 98 or
    > earlier. To run CHKDSK everytime you start your computer, simply create an
    > Autoexec.bat in your root directory and add CHKDSK as a command line in

    the
    > file. The Autoexec.bat will be executed everytime you start your computer.

    Could also be an NT class OS (WinNT, Win2K, WinXP), since they don't
    have SCANDISK but use CHKDSK instead.

    In which case, AUTOEXEC.BAT isn't used to start the computer up. No
    satisfy there ...

    Besides, running CHKDSK on a Win9X class OS, automatically? Is just
    BEGGING for a massive disk failure, since CHKDSK on Win9X doesn't understand
    long file names at all.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Oct 25, 2003
  6. WeeWilly

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as DH continued:

    > Being as it's CHKDSK you're wanting to run, I assume it's Windows 98
    > or earlier.

    Better get my 2kpro repaired then, because it's there too.
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, Oct 25, 2003
  7. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    Re: Chkdsk Automate (XP)???

    I should have said XP in the beginning. I didn't when I first started
    asking questions here.. because most who replied assumed XP.. when actually
    I was on 98. I have since migrated to XPPro and am trying to get up to
    speed with it..

    So, the question remains.. altho I'll check out Boomers two URL's

    thanks, Bill

    WeeWilly, Oct 25, 2003
  8. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    Re:Boomer- Chkdsk Automate???

    > http://eguardiancomputers.com/chkdsk.htm
    > http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,111653,00.asp

    Boomer..you mentioned the article here in pcworld. I started this without
    reading the whole article carefully.

    Opened notepad and typed in "chkdsk c:/f" as instructed....
    However, being the dummy that I am... it doesn't say what to do with it.. or
    if it does.. I overlooked it a couple of times. Seems in DOS days I'd put
    it in the autoexec.bat file.. but now? Where do I save this file?

    Bill
    WeeWilly, Oct 25, 2003
  9. WeeWilly

    Ralph Mann Guest

    Re: Re:Boomer- Chkdsk Automate???

    WeeWilly said:

    >> http://eguardiancomputers.com/chkdsk.htm
    >> http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,111653,00.asp

    > Boomer..you mentioned the article here in pcworld. I started this without
    > reading the whole article carefully.
    >
    > Opened notepad and typed in "chkdsk c:/f" as instructed....
    > However, being the dummy that I am... it doesn't say what to do with it.. or
    > if it does.. I overlooked it a couple of times. Seems in DOS days I'd put
    > it in the autoexec.bat file.. but now? Where do I save this file?
    >
    > Bill

    Try typing it at a command prompt.
    Ralph Mann, Oct 25, 2003