"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" Special Edition Problem

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Paul S. Person, Jan 12, 2008.

  1. I purchased this in October 2007. I was very glad to get it: it
    contains the only letterboxed version of the movie.

    I played it at once, of course. So far as I can recall, it played
    fine.

    It recently came up for viewing again. Now it stalls and skips
    starting at 1:17 until 1:18 (on my usual DVD player), making about a
    minute of the movie unwatchable. (On my secondary DVD player, playback
    froze at 1:17, which is in the midst of Chapter 17, and Chapter 18
    would not play at all. On my computer, the situation was similar. The
    disc is unmarred. The machines were turned off prior to use. This is
    definitely a disc problem.)

    This applies solely to the letterboxed version. I have never tried the
    fullscreen version (the movie disc is two-sided), but the fullscreen
    side does have a nasty-looking scratch on it.

    Is this a known problem? Was there ever a program intended to fix it?

    Thanks for any help.
    --
    "A portent, therefore, happens not contrary to nature,
    but contrary to what we know as nature."

    Paul S. Person, Jan 12, 2008

  2. Paul S. Person

    N. Morrow Guest

    >"Paul S. Person" <> wrote:
    > I purchased this in October 2007. I was very glad to get it: it
    > contains the only letterboxed version of the movie.
    >
    > I played it at once, of course. So far as I can recall, it played
    > fine.
    >
    > It recently came up for viewing again. Now it stalls and skips
    > starting at 1:17 until 1:18 (on my usual DVD player), making about a
    > minute of the movie unwatchable. (On my secondary DVD player, playback
    > froze at 1:17, which is in the midst of Chapter 17, and Chapter 18
    > would not play at all. On my computer, the situation was similar. The
    > disc is unmarred. The machines were turned off prior to use. This is
    > definitely a disc problem.)
    >
    > This applies solely to the letterboxed version. I have never tried the
    > fullscreen version (the movie disc is two-sided), but the fullscreen
    > side does have a nasty-looking scratch on it.
    >
    > Is this a known problem? Was there ever a program intended to fix it?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    Some of the software out there that rips DVD's will try to fix errors while
    ripping. A freeware example is DVD Decryptor (not sure if it's still
    available). After ripping, you can try to burn it again on a dual layer DVD
    with your favorite burning software, or a single layer with a program like
    DVD Shrink. I used this method on a DVD that always skipped at the same
    point. The software fixed the problem.

    N. Morrow, Jan 14, 2008

  3. On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 19:05:07 -0800, "N. Morrow" <> wrote:

    >>"Paul S. Person" <> wrote:
    >> I purchased this in October 2007. I was very glad to get it: it
    >> contains the only letterboxed version of the movie.
    >>
    >> I played it at once, of course. So far as I can recall, it played
    >> fine.
    >>
    >> It recently came up for viewing again. Now it stalls and skips
    >> starting at 1:17 until 1:18 (on my usual DVD player), making about a
    >> minute of the movie unwatchable. (On my secondary DVD player, playback
    >> froze at 1:17, which is in the midst of Chapter 17, and Chapter 18
    >> would not play at all. On my computer, the situation was similar. The
    >> disc is unmarred. The machines were turned off prior to use. This is
    >> definitely a disc problem.)
    >>
    >> This applies solely to the letterboxed version. I have never tried the
    >> fullscreen version (the movie disc is two-sided), but the fullscreen
    >> side does have a nasty-looking scratch on it.
    >>
    >> Is this a known problem? Was there ever a program intended to fix it?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.

    >Some of the software out there that rips DVD's will try to fix errors while
    >ripping. A freeware example is DVD Decryptor (not sure if it's still
    >available). After ripping, you can try to burn it again on a dual layer DVD
    >with your favorite burning software, or a single layer with a program like
    >DVD Shrink. I used this method on a DVD that always skipped at the same
    >point. The software fixed the problem.

    That's interesting and potentially useful (I have, as it happens, two
    DVD+R9 discs and a burner attached to my computer -- and such a
    program could, I suppose, also be used to produce a DVD+R9 of the DSSL
    /Woodstock/ DVD), but by "program" I was thinking more of an MGM
    program to replace defective discs.

    But thanks for the response. I was beginning to think I was on
    "alt.blueray.advocacy" rather than a newsgroup about DVDs.

    Paul S. Person, Jan 14, 2008