Chips and Boards

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by alanmews, Nov 14, 2004.

  1. alanmews

    alanmews Guest

    I know its a dumb question (don't answer that) and I think I probably know
    the answer before I ask it but here goes.
    I need a faster motherboard and chip, not sure of what as long as its not
    overly expensive and have seen some on Ebay that takes my fancy. It doesn't
    have to be terrifyingly fast as I don't run games. Maybe something a couple
    of years old.

    The question is; can I use almost any Chip (providing it fits) like a
    Pentium, Celeron, Athlon, Duron etc or something.

    This what I'm running at the moment, if it is of help, and it is so slow.
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 10 Genuine Intel ~1102 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies LTD 2.10, 08/05/2001

    Although I've been around computers a long time and have pulled PC's to bits
    and rebuilt etc But I still have difficulty in getting my head around all
    teccy jargon and need something that's a bit faster. But with two criteria;
    one it mustn't be too expensive or perhaps I can buy bits each month,
    Motherboard then chip as I'm disabled.
    And the second is age and slightly epileptic, so things take a little while
    to sink in.

    Many thanks for advice and help.
    Alan
    alanmews, Nov 14, 2004

  2. alanmews wrote:
    > I know its a dumb question (don't answer that) and I think I probably know
    > the answer before I ask it but here goes.
    > I need a faster motherboard and chip, not sure of what as long as its not
    > overly expensive and have seen some on Ebay that takes my fancy. It doesn't
    > have to be terrifyingly fast as I don't run games. Maybe something a couple
    > of years old.

    > The question is; can I use almost any Chip (providing it fits) like a
    > Pentium, Celeron, Athlon, Duron etc or something.

    > This what I'm running at the moment, if it is of help, and it is so slow.
    > Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 10 Genuine Intel ~1102 Mhz
    > BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies LTD 2.10, 08/05/2001

    > Although I've been around computers a long time and have pulled PC's to bits
    > and rebuilt etc But I still have difficulty in getting my head around all
    > teccy jargon and need something that's a bit faster. But with two criteria;
    > one it mustn't be too expensive or perhaps I can buy bits each month,
    > Motherboard then chip as I'm disabled.

    IMO, your best values would probably be found with an AMD Athlon in the
    +2000 to +2500 range. And a compatible mobo.

    -
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Go Blue -- beat Ohio State and it's off to the Rose Bowl again.
    Blinky the Shark, Nov 14, 2004

  3. alanmews wrote:

    > I know its a dumb question (don't answer that) and I think I probably know
    > the answer before I ask it but here goes.
    > I need a faster motherboard and chip, not sure of what as long as its not
    > overly expensive and have seen some on Ebay that takes my fancy. It
    > doesn't have to be terrifyingly fast as I don't run games. Maybe something
    > a couple of years old.
    >
    > The question is; can I use almost any Chip (providing it fits) like a
    > Pentium, Celeron, Athlon, Duron etc or something.
    >
    > This what I'm running at the moment, if it is of help, and it is so slow.
    > Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 10 Genuine Intel ~1102 Mhz
    > BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies LTD 2.10, 08/05/2001
    >
    > Although I've been around computers a long time and have pulled PC's to
    > bits and rebuilt etc But I still have difficulty in getting my head around
    > all teccy jargon and need something that's a bit faster. But with two
    > criteria; one it mustn't be too expensive or perhaps I can buy bits each
    > month, Motherboard then chip as I'm disabled.
    > And the second is age and slightly epileptic, so things take a little
    > while to sink in.
    >
    > Many thanks for advice and help.
    > Alan

    Anyone buying a mobo off EBay is a fool.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Nov 15, 2004