Chip makes broadband 60 times faster

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lodi, Jul 10, 2008.

  1. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    http://www.stuff.co.nz/4614230a28.html

    <snip>
    Described as "a small scratch on a piece of glass", the university's
    photonic integrated circuit boosts the performance of traditional optic
    fibres, Professor Ben Eggleton said.

    "This circuit uses the 'scratch' as a guide or a switching path for
    information – kind of like when trains are switched from one track to
    another – except this switch takes one picosecond to change tracks," Prof
    Eggleton said of the technology developed over the past four years.

    "This means that in one second the switch is turning on and off about one
    million times."

    "We are talking about networks that are potentially up to 100 times
    faster without costing the consumer any more."

    </snip>

    I'm guessing there's some seriously impressive science being done by
    Professor Eggleton but if he thinks my 40GB per month for $50 is going to
    turn into 4000GB per month for $50 he needs his head read. It'll still be
    data caps and throttling for us in the cheap seats. Still, musn't grumble.

    Lodi
    Lodi, Jul 10, 2008