    Why? The CHINESE made 12v lead acid battery not only stopped
    charging, its case burst open!! I hear their CRAP is now appearing as
    counterfeit parts in cars. Just imagine the carnage that is to come...
    RichA, Mar 23, 2010

  2. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 18:20:44 -0700 (PDT), RichA <> wrote:
    : We've all heard the horror stories, about how formerly prestigious
    : brands from the U.S. are now putrid (Fram oil filters, Rubbermaid, as
    : examples of products that had severe cost-cutting imposed by Walrmart
    : and the like) mostly because of the dumping of inferior Chinese
    : rubbish.
    : Not the stuff like name-brand cameras, whose production is controlled
    : by JAPANESE technicians (though there have been quality lapses, it
    : does not appear to relate to Mainland Chinese production facilities),
    : but the real JUNK from China, designed and made there.
    : I have 2 UPS units for my computers. One of them stopped working.
    : Why? The CHINESE made 12v lead acid battery not only stopped
    : charging, its case burst open!! I hear their CRAP is now appearing as
    : counterfeit parts in cars. Just imagine the carnage that is to come...

    Rich, I sympathize with your plight from the heart of my bottom. Just one
    thing:
    Q: Why did you buy the Chinese knockoff?
    A: To save a buck or two, of course!

    FWIW, a couple of years ago I bought a little Benro (Dhinese) tabletop tripod.
    It's about as well made (and nicely packaged) a product as is available today.
    They're eating us for lunch, amd neither your country nor mine seems inclined
    to do a damned thing about it.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Mar 23, 2010

  3. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >We've all heard the horror stories, about how formerly prestigious

    Rich hates everything.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Mar 23, 2010
  4. In article <f905e397-cf79-41b6-b90e-c126547f74c1
    @z35g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > The CHINESE made 12v lead acid battery not only stopped
    > charging, its case burst open!!

    Look at the bright side: with Chinese made sulphuric acid, at least, you
    don't have to worry about holes in the carpet.

    :-D
    Peter Huebner, Mar 23, 2010
  5. RichA

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 23/03/2010 02:20, RichA wrote:
    > We've all heard the horror stories, about how formerly prestigious
    > brands from the U.S. are now putrid (Fram oil filters, Rubbermaid, as
    > examples of products that had severe cost-cutting imposed by Walrmart
    > and the like) mostly because of the dumping of inferior Chinese
    > rubbish.
    > Not the stuff like name-brand cameras, whose production is controlled
    > by JAPANESE technicians

    This is what they said of Japanese stuff 50 years ago, until cameras
    sold abroad appeared with the little golden elliptic "passed" sticker
    from the Japan Camera Inspection Institute.

    --
    Bertrand
    Ofnuts, Mar 23, 2010
  6. In rec.photo.digital RichA <> wrote:

    > We've all heard the horror stories, about how formerly prestigious
    > brands from the U.S. are now putrid (Fram oil filters, Rubbermaid, as
    > examples of products that had severe cost-cutting imposed by Walrmart
    > and the like) mostly because of the dumping of inferior Chinese
    > rubbish.
    > Not the stuff like name-brand cameras, whose production is controlled
    > by JAPANESE technicians (though there have been quality lapses, it
    > does not appear to relate to Mainland Chinese production facilities),
    > but the real JUNK from China, designed and made there.
    > I have 2 UPS units for my computers. One of them stopped working.
    > Why? The CHINESE made 12v lead acid battery not only stopped
    > charging, its case burst open!! I hear their CRAP is now appearing as
    > counterfeit parts in cars. Just imagine the carnage that is to come...

    It's a plot to destroy American industry by supplying it with crap
    components. Then they can take over. They are a proud people with by
    far the longest tradition of continuous urban civilisation of any on
    the planet, and have a very long historical vision. It's been hurting
    them for a long time what the upstart and barbaric Westerners did to
    them. They haven't forgotten the Opium Wars.

    --
    Chris Malcolm
    Chris Malcolm, Mar 23, 2010
  7. In rec.photo.digital Ofnuts <> wrote:
    > On 23/03/2010 02:20, RichA wrote:
    >> We've all heard the horror stories, about how formerly prestigious
    >> brands from the U.S. are now putrid (Fram oil filters, Rubbermaid, as
    >> examples of products that had severe cost-cutting imposed by Walrmart
    >> and the like) mostly because of the dumping of inferior Chinese
    >> rubbish.
    >> Not the stuff like name-brand cameras, whose production is controlled
    >> by JAPANESE technicians

    > This is what they said of Japanese stuff 50 years ago, until cameras
    > sold abroad appeared with the little golden elliptic "passed" sticker
    > from the Japan Camera Inspection Institute.

    I can remember when a little Japanese nerd who had started his small
    utility motorcycle business by adapting lawnmower engines to pedal
    bicycles came over to the Isle of Man motorcycle TT races and bought
    examples of all the best British motorcycles to ship back to Japan. He
    wanted to find out how to make good world beating motorcycles.

    How everyone in the British motorcycle industry and trade press
    laughed at silly little Soichiro Honda!

    --
    Chris Malcolm
    Chris Malcolm, Mar 23, 2010
  8. Per RichA:
    > I hear their CRAP is now appearing as
    >counterfeit parts in cars. Just imagine the carnage that is to come...

    IMHO the real carnage will come when they master quality control.

    At that point many of the remaining first world industrial jobs
    will be dead meat.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Mar 23, 2010
  9. RichA

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Chris Malcolm
    <> writes
    >How everyone in the British motorcycle industry and trade press
    >laughed at silly little Soichiro Honda!

    That was only Motocycles..... You look at American quality from the real
    US brands... like GM, Chrysler and Ford....

    Or US Motorcycles like HD who went bust several times and only survived
    because Ragan Put import duties on the Japanese motorcycles.

    The Chinese will build cheaply to a specification. If the spec is the
    same as the US brands the quality will be the same as the US brands.

    They (Asians) have done it Cars, motorcycles, Cameras, Hi-fi, white
    goods etc.

    BTW See http://www.tenalps.com/news.php?id=1312 about how Detroit has
    disintegrated

    Chris H, Mar 23, 2010
  10. RichA

    Dave Cohen Guest

    On 3/23/2010 2:46 AM, Ray Fischer wrote:
    > RichA<> wrote:
    >> We've all heard the horror stories, about how formerly prestigious

    > Rich hates everything.

    More to the point, he paints with a broad brush. The various posts made
    below this make some good points. Their quality will improve as the
    market demands it. Believe it or not, I saw a news clip that claimed
    some of the industries there are suffering a labor shortage, people
    aren't willing to leave rural areas for the current wages being paid.
    Remember, Japan at one time was the low labor rate culprit. If we wait
    long enough, the whole world will catch up to the West (which may come
    down some in the process). Problem is this takes time and most of us may
    not be around to see it happen.
    Dave Cohen, Mar 23, 2010
  11. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 23, 9:54 am, Bowser <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 18:20:44 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >We've all heard the horror stories, about how formerly prestigious
    > >brands from the U.S. are now putrid (Fram oil filters, Rubbermaid, as
    > >examples of products that had severe cost-cutting imposed by Walrmart
    > >and the like) mostly because of the dumping of inferior Chinese
    > >rubbish.
    > >Not the stuff like name-brand cameras, whose production is controlled
    > >by JAPANESE technicians (though there have been quality lapses, it
    > >does not appear to relate to Mainland Chinese production facilities),
    > >but the real JUNK from China, designed and made there.
    > >I have 2 UPS units for my computers.  One of them stopped working.
    > >Why?  The CHINESE made 12v lead acid battery not only stopped
    > >charging, its case burst open!!  I hear their CRAP is now appearing as
    > >counterfeit parts in cars.  Just imagine the carnage that is to come....

    > You want crap? Buy a Chinese-made flourescent fixture from Home
    > Cheapo, crack it open, and see what a fire hazard it is. I'd never buy
    > one of those again, they really are dangerous.

    A couple years back, Ontario hydro (Canadian) did an inspection blitz
    of various electronics stores. They found inverters and other
    electronic products with no UL, no CSA, non-functioning ground cords,
    complete and utter fire hazards. All from China of course. If you
    burn your house down with one, insurance won`t cover it.
    RichA, Mar 23, 2010
  12. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 23, 10:41 am, Dave Cohen <> wrote:
    > On 3/23/2010 2:46 AM, Ray Fischer wrote:
    >
    > > RichA<>  wrote:
    > >> We've all heard the horror stories, about how formerly prestigious

    > > Rich hates everything.

    > More to the point, he paints with a broad brush. The various posts made
    > below this make some good points. Their quality will improve as the
    > market demands it. Believe it or not, I saw a news clip that claimed
    > some of the industries there are suffering a labor shortage, people
    > aren't willing to leave rural areas for the current wages being paid.
    > Remember, Japan at one time was the low labor rate culprit. If we wait
    > long enough, the whole world will catch up to the West (which may come
    > down some in the process). Problem is this takes time and most of us may
    > not be around to see it happen.

    Doesn`t matter what Japan was, what matters is what China is producing
    now.
    RichA, Mar 23, 2010
  13. RichA

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Alan Browne
    <> writes
    >On 10-03-23 10:04 , Chris H wrote:
    >
    >> Or US Motorcycles like HD who went bust several times and only survived
    >> because Ragan Put import duties on the Japanese motorcycles.

    >Nonsense.

    Which bit? That HD went bust and was bought a couple of times?
    Or that Ragan put import duties on foreign bikes?

    >HD riders and rice rocket riders are two distinct breeds.

    Yes. The Jap bikes are far more successful.

    Chris H, Mar 23, 2010
  14. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Mar 23, 10:41 am, Dave Cohen <> wrote:

    >> > Rich hates everything.

    >> More to the point, he paints with a broad brush. The various posts made
    >> below this make some good points. Their quality will improve as the
    >> market demands it. Believe it or not, I saw a news clip that claimed
    >> some of the industries there are suffering a labor shortage, people
    >> aren't willing to leave rural areas for the current wages being paid.
    >> Remember, Japan at one time was the low labor rate culprit. If we wait
    >> long enough, the whole world will catch up to the West (which may come
    >> down some in the process). Problem is this takes time and most of us may
    >> not be around to see it happen.

    >Doesn`t matter what Japan was, what matters is what China is producing
    >now.

    You do realize that your stereotyping makes you a bigot?

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Mar 24, 2010
  15. We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
    drugs began to take hold. I remember Alan Browne
    <> saying something like:

    >>> Nonsense.

    >> Which bit? That HD went bust and was bought a couple of times?
    >> Or that Ragan put import duties on foreign bikes?
    >>
    >>> HD riders and rice rocket riders are two distinct breeds.

    >> Yes. The Jap bikes are far more successful.
    >>

    >Rubbish because they are two distinct markets.

    It might have escaped your notice that the Japs have been turning out HD
    clones for decades and mostly [1] making a better job of it than HD
    themselves. What it really boiled down to was yer average Joe fancied a
    cruiser that didn't leak, stayed reliable and was cheap to buy.
    The British m/c industry all over again.

    [1] I say 'mostly' - they did turn out some terrible pieces of shit the
    odd time.
    Grimly Curmudgeon, Mar 24, 2010
  16. Per Atheist Chaplain:
    >Can I say they have mastered quality control, its just that most companies
    >who use their services opt for cheap and nasty over well built and pricey.
    >That is the problem, if you want them to build quality it cost as much as
    >everywhere else.
    >I know this from personal experience.

    That seems to imply that low wages, no benefits, and lack of
    environmental controls doesn't give them that much of an
    advantage.

    ?
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Mar 24, 2010
  17. RichA

    Hmm Guest

    "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message
    : On 10-03-24 14:44 , Mike Russell wrote:
    :
    : > It's a billion hard working, smart, and increasingly
    : > well-educated people. We westerners can be complacent or
    simplistic about
    : > China at our peril.
    :
    : Exactly. In the 60's and 70's Japanese cars were considered scrap.
    :
    : The Chinese are ramping up quickly.
    :
    : OTOH, as long as they hold down the Renminbi, pollute like crazy and
    : suppress human rights, I'll strive to avoid their products as much
    as
    : possible.

    There is a huge difference between the China at present and Japan,
    irregardless of the era. Japanese have honour and ethics. China has
    neither and never will.
    Hmm, Mar 26, 2010
  18. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Hmm <> wrote:
    >"Alan Browne" <> wrote in message
    >: On 10-03-24 14:44 , Mike Russell wrote:
    >:
    >: > It's a billion hard working, smart, and increasingly
    >: > well-educated people. We westerners can be complacent or
    >simplistic about
    >: > China at our peril.
    >:
    >: Exactly. In the 60's and 70's Japanese cars were considered scrap.
    >:
    >: The Chinese are ramping up quickly.
    >:
    >: OTOH, as long as they hold down the Renminbi, pollute like crazy and
    >: suppress human rights, I'll strive to avoid their products as much
    >as
    >: possible.
    >
    >There is a huge difference between the China at present and Japan,
    >irregardless of the era. Japanese have honour and ethics. China has
    >neither and never will.

    Quit the jingoistic bigot, aren't you? Rather ironic that a bigot
    such as yourself would be criticizing the ethics of others.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Mar 27, 2010
  19. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 14:14:25 -0700, "Hmm" <> wrote:
    : "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message
    : news:D...
    : : On 10-03-24 14:44 , Mike Russell wrote:
    : :
    : : > It's a billion hard working, smart, and increasingly
    : : > well-educated people. We westerners can be complacent or
    : simplistic about
    : : > China at our peril.
    : :
    : : Exactly. In the 60's and 70's Japanese cars were considered scrap.
    : :
    : : The Chinese are ramping up quickly.
    : :
    : : OTOH, as long as they hold down the Renminbi, pollute like crazy and
    : : suppress human rights, I'll strive to avoid their products as much
    : as
    : : possible.
    :
    : There is a huge difference between the China at present and Japan,
    : irregardless of the era. Japanese have honour and ethics. China has
    : neither and never will.

    China is a country of approximately 1,500,000,000 people. In a population that
    large, all generalizations are suspect. That includes this one. And yours
    (quoted above).

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Mar 27, 2010
  20. RichA

    Peter Guest

    "Mike Russell" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 14:14:25 -0700, Hmm wrote:
    >
    >> irregardless

    > This is typical anonymous Internet blather, signifying nothing. If you
    > think that the Chinese are a less moral, ethical or proud people than
    > westerners, think again. Japan's written language, philosophy, and
    > religion had its roots in China, much as their technology had its roots in
    > the West. China's cultural, and moral development, precedes that of
    > Europe
    > by centuries.
    > --

    Err! Much of Western technology and culture had its roots in China.

    Think gunpowder.
    Think pasta.
    Think Sun Tzu
    Think ....