    Black Friday. But these prices are fantastic, and I just wanted to
    know if anyone here has ever purchased a foreign language camera.

    , Nov 2, 2006

  2. bongo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Well, I thought I'd seen most everything (not X-rated, that is) online.
    >
    > Yesterday, searching for deals on a Rebel XTi, I came to a website in
    > NYC that sold almost all in-demand DLSRs for nearly half the price. I
    > called a 800 number and spoke with a really friendly guy who even gave
    > me the street address of his store in Manhattan, and told me to stop
    > in.

    snipped

    i would think it would be a real pain in the a*s trying to learn the symbals
    for the menues. plus you can not revert to the manual to help you out as its
    in chinese.

    are the cams copies of the originals?
    my camera has several languages that i can set it to but i keep it on
    english.
    nikon D50

    bongo, Nov 2, 2006

  3. Mark B. Guest

    If it sounds too good to be true...

    Mark B., Nov 2, 2006
  4. Cgiorgio Guest

    <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Well, I thought I'd seen most everything (not X-rated, that is) online.
    >
    > Yesterday, searching for deals on a Rebel XTi, I came to a website in
    > NYC that sold almost all in-demand DLSRs for nearly half the price. I
    > called a 800 number and spoke with a really friendly guy who even gave
    > me the street address of his store in Manhattan, and told me to stop
    > in.
    >
    > The reason for his great deals was that they were...Chinese versions.
    > The on-screen displays of everything (and also the manuals, apparently)
    > were in Chinese.
    >
    > Before anyone laughs, he said there are software programs you can
    > purchase that will translate the on-screen displays/commands. The
    > reason I didn't roll totally off my BarcaLounger was because there are
    > so *many* unfamiliar acronyms in ENGLISH, that I says to myself, says
    > I, "Just learn what the ideograms stand for."
    >
    > Prices are dropping like the temperature on DSLRs, legitimate
    > English-speaking (!) DSLRs, I know, and will probably drop further for
    > Black Friday. But these prices are fantastic, and I just wanted to
    > know if anyone here has ever purchased a foreign language camera.

    Once Canon has found all the bugs in the first units, there will probably be
    a firmware update, once that is loaded in the camera it should behave like
    an international model with western languages.

    Cgiorgio, Nov 2, 2006
  5. Bill Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Yesterday, searching for deals on a Rebel XTi, I came to a website
    > in
    > NYC that sold almost all in-demand DLSRs for nearly half the price.

    That's your first clue that something is wrong. Half price compared to
    everyone else means there is something wrong with the cameras. Even
    factory refurbished items do not sell for half price.

    > called a 800 number and spoke with a really friendly guy who even
    > gave
    > me the street address of his store in Manhattan, and told me to stop
    > in.

    Which store?

    > The reason for his great deals was that they were...Chinese
    > versions.
    > The on-screen displays of everything (and also the manuals,
    > apparently)
    > were in Chinese.
    >
    > Before anyone laughs, he said there are software programs you can
    > purchase that will translate the on-screen displays/commands. The
    > reason I didn't roll totally off my BarcaLounger was because there
    > are
    > so *many* unfamiliar acronyms in ENGLISH, that I says to myself,
    > says
    > I, "Just learn what the ideograms stand for."

    Why?

    Many, if not all, recent cameras from the big names all come with a
    dozen or more languages built-in. There is no need for a special
    chinese version. My Nikon D80 has Chinese simplified and traditional,
    among many other languages. The user simply selects the menu choice
    they want.

    The controls on the outside anyone can learn.

    I would have VERY serious reservations about considering one of those
    cameras. I would have to contact the manufacturer and find out if
    they're legitimate first. Based on Chinas history of making fake
    products, I'd say chances are good that you're buying overpriced junk.

    Bill, Nov 2, 2006
  6. skrev:

    > Black Friday. But these prices are fantastic, and I just wanted to
    > know if anyone here has ever purchased a foreign language camera.

    Yes. I am not even sure if our G3 _knows_ Danish ;-)

    /Martin

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Martin_S=F8rensen?=, Nov 2, 2006
  7. Cynicor Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > I would have VERY serious reservations about considering one of those
    > cameras. I would have to contact the manufacturer and find out if
    > they're legitimate first. Based on Chinas history of making fake
    > products, I'd say chances are good that you're buying overpriced junk.

    But still. Half price on a Snoopy D70s is too good a deal to pass up.

    Cynicor, Nov 2, 2006
  8. In article <>, Cynicor
    <j....tru...p..in@spea...kea...sy.net> wrote:

    > But still. Half price on a Snoopy D70s is too good a deal to pass up.

    Are you serious? A camera is, or should be, a craftsman's tool. If you
    purchase something KNOWN to be a cheap knockoff, every time a shot
    doesn't come up to your expectations, you're going to be wondering
    "Would this be OK if I had the real camera?"

    PLUS no warranty, and the aggravation of dealing with an
    incomprehensible user interface and manual.

    My time and burnt brain cells are worth more than that. if a few
    hundred bucks are that important to someone, perhaps they should try a
    less expensive hobby.

    Scott Schuckert, Nov 2, 2006
  9. acl Guest

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humor

    > My time and burnt brain cells are worth more than that. if a few
    > hundred bucks are that important to someone, perhaps they should try a
    > less expensive hobby.

    I find this attitude disgusting. Just thought I'd express my feelings,
    no need to reply.

    Cheers!

    acl, Nov 2, 2006
  10. Guest

    On Nov 2, 8:10 am, "Martin Sørensen" <>
    wrote:

    > Yes. I am not even sure if our G3 _knows_ Danish ;-)

    Sorry for being so uglyamericanish!

    , Nov 2, 2006
  11. Bill Guest

    "acl" <> wrote in message

    >> > But still. Half price on a Snoopy D70s is too good a deal to pass
    >> > up.

    >> Are you serious? A camera is, or should be, a craftsman's tool. If
    >> you
    >> purchase something KNOWN to be a cheap knockoff, every time a shot
    >> doesn't come up to your expectations, you're going to be wondering
    >> "Would this be OK if I had the real camera?"

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humor

    Try using smileys...saves everyone a lot of time and hassle.

    I thought you were being a twit as well, but I caught your second
    reply before posting a negative response.

    Bill, Nov 2, 2006
  12. Cynicor Guest

    Bill wrote:

    >>> up.
    >>>
    >>> Are you serious? A camera is, or should be, a craftsman's tool. If you
    >>> purchase something KNOWN to be a cheap knockoff, every time a shot
    >>> doesn't come up to your expectations, you're going to be wondering
    >>> "Would this be OK if I had the real camera?"

    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humor

    > Try using smileys...saves everyone a lot of time and hassle.

    I disagree with smileys. Mark Twain never used them. Not that I'm a Mark
    Twain. I'm not even a Mark².

    So which Chinese camera brand takes better pics? Cannon or Nikom?

    Cynicor, Nov 2, 2006
  13. Roy G Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Well, I thought I'd seen most everything (not X-rated, that is) online.
    >
    > Yesterday, searching for deals on a Rebel XTi, I came to a website in
    > NYC that sold almost all in-demand DLSRs for nearly half the price. I
    > called a 800 number and spoke with a really friendly guy who even gave
    > me the street address of his store in Manhattan, and told me to stop
    > in.
    >
    > The reason for his great deals was that they were...Chinese versions.
    > The on-screen displays of everything (and also the manuals, apparently)
    > were in Chinese.
    >
    > Before anyone laughs, he said there are software programs you can
    > purchase that will translate the on-screen displays/commands. The
    > reason I didn't roll totally off my BarcaLounger was because there are
    > so *many* unfamiliar acronyms in ENGLISH, that I says to myself, says
    > I, "Just learn what the ideograms stand for."
    >
    > Prices are dropping like the temperature on DSLRs, legitimate
    > English-speaking (!) DSLRs, I know, and will probably drop further for
    > Black Friday. But these prices are fantastic, and I just wanted to
    > know if anyone here has ever purchased a foreign language camera.

    Old Chinese saying -

    "Idiots and their money are easily parted"

    Roy G

    Roy G, Nov 2, 2006
  14. Rich Guest

    Roy G wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > > Well, I thought I'd seen most everything (not X-rated, that is) online.
    > >
    > > Yesterday, searching for deals on a Rebel XTi, I came to a website in
    > > NYC that sold almost all in-demand DLSRs for nearly half the price. I
    > > called a 800 number and spoke with a really friendly guy who even gave
    > > me the street address of his store in Manhattan, and told me to stop
    > > in.
    > >
    > > The reason for his great deals was that they were...Chinese versions.
    > > The on-screen displays of everything (and also the manuals, apparently)
    > > were in Chinese.
    > >
    > > Before anyone laughs, he said there are software programs you can
    > > purchase that will translate the on-screen displays/commands. The
    > > reason I didn't roll totally off my BarcaLounger was because there are
    > > so *many* unfamiliar acronyms in ENGLISH, that I says to myself, says
    > > I, "Just learn what the ideograms stand for."
    > >
    > > Prices are dropping like the temperature on DSLRs, legitimate
    > > English-speaking (!) DSLRs, I know, and will probably drop further for
    > > Black Friday. But these prices are fantastic, and I just wanted to
    > > know if anyone here has ever purchased a foreign language camera.
    > >

    > Old Chinese saying -
    >
    > "Idiots and their money are easily parted"
    >
    > Roy G

    Since China is making many of the cameras formerly from Japan, it's not
    hard to imagine the production lines working a little longer to produce
    black market contraband. The Chinese are the biggest scam artists on
    the planet when it comes to just about any product they can steal.

    Rich, Nov 2, 2006
  15. Celcius Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message

    ..... The Chinese are the biggest scam artists on
    > the planet when it comes to just about any product they can steal.

    Rich,
    Could this be said to be politically correct? ;-)
    Cheers,
    Marcel

    Celcius, Nov 2, 2006
  16. Bill Guest

    "Cynicor" <j....tru...p..in@spea...kea...sy.net> wrote in message

    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humor

    >> Try using smileys...saves everyone a lot of time and hassle.

    > I disagree with smileys. Mark Twain never used them.

    Mark Twain didn't know the difference between a pipe and a filtered
    cigarrette, so it's not hard to believe he or you wouldn't know the
    difference between a smiley and a frowny. By the way, it's 2006, not
    1896, so you should join reality.

    And if you still resist smileys, then maybe you should learn how to be
    sarcastic:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

    How do you like me now?

    :)

    > So which Chinese camera brand takes better pics? Cannon or Nikom?

    Obviously neither! Sheesh.

    The best camera on the planet is the Chimera D101x, made in Shanghai.
    It can do anything, even take pictures of cynical dweebs.

    :)

    Bill, Nov 3, 2006
  17. Cynicor Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > "Cynicor" <j....tru...p..in@spea...kea...sy.net> wrote in message

    >>> Try using smileys...saves everyone a lot of time and hassle.

    >> I disagree with smileys. Mark Twain never used them.

    > Mark Twain didn't know the difference between a pipe and a filtered
    > cigarrette, so it's not hard to believe he or you wouldn't know the
    > difference between a smiley and a frowny. By the way, it's 2006, not
    > 1896, so you should join reality.

    Smileys are to good writing as Sudoku is to crosswords. ;-)

    > And if you still resist smileys, then maybe you should learn how to be
    > sarcastic:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

    Yeah, that's what I'm going to do.

    Cynicor, Nov 3, 2006
  18. Mark B. Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    > "acl" <> wrote in message

    >>> Are you serious? A camera is, or should be, a craftsman's tool. If you
    >>> purchase something KNOWN to be a cheap knockoff, every time a shot
    >>> doesn't come up to your expectations, you're going to be wondering
    >>> "Would this be OK if I had the real camera?"

    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humor

    > Try using smileys...saves everyone a lot of time and hassle.
    >
    > I thought you were being a twit as well, but I caught your second reply
    > before posting a negative response.

    Maybe it's just me, but I thought the term 'SNOOPY D70s' was a dead giveaway
    to the joke.

    Mark B., Nov 3, 2006
  19. wrote:
    > On Nov 2, 8:10 am, "Martin Sørensen" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Yes. I am not even sure if our G3 _knows_ Danish ;-)

    > Sorry for being so uglyamericanish!

    Don't worry, I was only joking. Just to give a different perspective.

    If you are persistant enough the language does not matter. My son (now
    7) plays Pokémon on his gameboy, and to me the game requires a lot of
    reading. He has just learned the ways and choices by heart (same with
    his friends, they help eachother), so it does not matter if he plays
    the English or the German-language game. I am sure one could do similar
    with the camera, but I think I would prefer not to...

    The real question to me is if it is a genuine camera.

    /Martin

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Martin_S=F8rensen?=, Nov 4, 2006
  20. John Turco Guest

    Cynicor wrote:

    > Bill wrote:

    > >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humor

    > > Try using smileys...saves everyone a lot of time and hassle.

    > I disagree with smileys. Mark Twain never used them. Not that I'm a Mark
    > Twain. I'm not even a Mark².
    >
    > So which Chinese camera brand takes better pics? Cannon or Nikom?

    Hello, Cynicor:

    I'm unsure of "Nikom," but, Cannon makes very sharp bath towels, with
    excellent color balance. <g>

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Nov 4, 2006