    I hope that clarifies this contentious point.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Feb 3, 2007

  2. John McWilliams

    Scott W Guest

    On Feb 3, 7:14 am, John McWilliams <> wrote:
    > When another photographer looks at his review screen and makes little
    > oo-oo-oo noises, points excitedly at the lcd, and invites other mammals
    > over to look also, that is chimping.
    >
    > When you and I prudently review something just shot, to check focus,
    > content, or the histogram, it's just that: a review. It's not done on
    > every shot in most cases.
    >
    > Some of us only review; some of us chimp mercilessly, and many do both
    > from time to time. I am among the latter photographers.
    >
    > I hope that clarifies this contentious point.
    >
    > --
    > john mcwilliams

    This link will also help clear up just what it is.
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/special_feature/chimping/

    Scott

    Scott W, Feb 3, 2007

  3. John McWilliams

    Rich Guest

    On Feb 3, 12:14 pm, John McWilliams <> wrote:
    > When another photographer looks at his review screen and makes little
    > oo-oo-oo noises, points excitedly at the lcd, and invites other mammals
    > over to look also, that is chimping.

    As opposed to someone who shoots thousands upon thousands of frames,
    only to do the same back home on the computer.
    Both sort of denote a hack.

    Rich, Feb 3, 2007
  4. John McWilliams

    Scott W Guest

    On Feb 3, 8:30 am, "Rich" <> wrote:
    > On Feb 3, 12:14 pm, John McWilliams <> wrote:
    >
    > > When another photographer looks at his review screen and makes little
    > > oo-oo-oo noises, points excitedly at the lcd, and invites other mammals
    > > over to look also, that is chimping.

    > As opposed to someone who shoots thousands upon thousands of frames,
    > only to do the same back home on the computer.
    > Both sort of denote a hack.

    Interesting definition of a hack you have there. I have to note that
    National Geographic photographers typically shoot over 10,000 frame
    for a assignment, I guess they are hacks.

    Scott

    Scott W, Feb 3, 2007
  5. Scott W wrote:

    > Interesting definition of a hack you have there. I have to note that
    > National Geographic photographers typically shoot over 10,000 frame
    > for a assignment, I guess they are hacks.

    Take 10,000 shots of Condoleezza Rice or Janet Reno in one sitting and tell
    me with a straight face you're not a hack.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Feb 3, 2007
  6. John McWilliams wrote:

    > I hope that clarifies this contentious point.

    No.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Feb 3, 2007
  7. John McWilliams

    J. Clarke Guest

    On 3 Feb 2007 11:36:40 -0800, "Scott W" <> wrote:

    >On Feb 3, 8:30 am, "Rich" <> wrote:
    >> On Feb 3, 12:14 pm, John McWilliams <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > When another photographer looks at his review screen and makes little
    >> > oo-oo-oo noises, points excitedly at the lcd, and invites other mammals
    >> > over to look also, that is chimping.

    >> As opposed to someone who shoots thousands upon thousands of frames,
    >> only to do the same back home on the computer.
    >> Both sort of denote a hack.

    >Interesting definition of a hack you have there. I have to note that
    >National Geographic photographers typically shoot over 10,000 frame
    >for a assignment, I guess they are hacks.

    Further, they don't just invite other mammals over, the other mammals
    pay for the privilege of looking.

    J. Clarke, Feb 3, 2007
  8. John McWilliams

    Mark² Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > On Feb 3, 12:14 pm, John McWilliams <> wrote:
    >> When another photographer looks at his review screen and makes little
    >> oo-oo-oo noises, points excitedly at the lcd, and invites other
    >> mammals over to look also, that is chimping.

    > As opposed to someone who shoots thousands upon thousands of frames,
    > only to do the same back home on the computer.
    > Both sort of denote a hack.

    So scrutiny of a day's shooting at home = a hack??

    That would mean every single professional digital shooter is...a hack.

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Feb 3, 2007
  9. John McWilliams

    Scott W Guest

    On Feb 3, 10:54 am, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    > Scott W wrote:
    > > Interesting definition of a hack you have there. I have to note that
    > > National Geographic photographers typically shoot over 10,000 frame
    > > for a assignment, I guess they are hacks.

    > Take 10,000 shots of Condoleezza Rice or Janet Reno in one sitting and tell
    > me with a straight face you're not a hack.

    Well 10,000 shots in one sitting would be closer to video then it
    would be to photography.

    But I would probably click 100 to 200.

    Scott

    Scott W, Feb 3, 2007
  10. John McWilliams

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

    > Scott W wrote:
    >
    > > Interesting definition of a hack you have there. I have to note that
    > > National Geographic photographers typically shoot over 10,000 frame
    > > for a assignment, I guess they are hacks.

    > Take 10,000 shots of Condoleezza Rice

    You have a person with no sense of beauty :O)

    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

    Paul Heslop, Feb 3, 2007
  11. John McWilliams

    JohnR66 Guest

    "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    > When another photographer looks at his review screen and makes little
    > oo-oo-oo noises, points excitedly at the lcd, and invites other mammals
    > over to look also, that is chimping.
    >
    > When you and I prudently review something just shot, to check focus,
    > content, or the histogram, it's just that: a review. It's not done on
    > every shot in most cases.
    >
    > Some of us only review; some of us chimp mercilessly, and many do both
    > from time to time. I am among the latter photographers.
    >
    > I hope that clarifies this contentious point.
    >
    > --
    > john mcwilliams

    On cameras that have a 3" or larger screen, it is called Babooning

    JohnR66, Feb 4, 2007
  12. John McWilliams

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Feb 3, 5:05 pm, Paul Heslop <> wrote:

    > > Take 10,000 shots of Condoleezza Rice

    > You have a person with no sense of beauty :O)

    You couldn't wipe the ugly off of her with CS3.

    Annika1980, Feb 4, 2007
  13. John McWilliams

    ASAAR Guest

    On 3 Feb 2007 16:19:02 -0800, Annika1980 wrote:

    >>> Take 10,000 shots of Condoleezza Rice

    >> You have a person with no sense of beauty :O)

    > You couldn't wipe the ugly off of her with CS3.

    She has no one but herself to blame. She uses so much petroleum
    based makeup they named a tanker after her. The Condoleezza Maru
    ain't yer average Rice boat.

    ASAAR, Feb 4, 2007
  14. John McWilliams

    ashiri Guest

    Scott W wrote:
    > On Feb 3, 7:14 am, John McWilliams <> wrote:
    >> When another photographer looks at his review screen and makes little
    >> oo-oo-oo noises, points excitedly at the lcd, and invites other mammals
    >> over to look also, that is chimping.
    >>
    >> When you and I prudently review something just shot, to check focus,
    >> content, or the histogram, it's just that: a review. It's not done on
    >> every shot in most cases.
    >>
    >> Some of us only review; some of us chimp mercilessly, and many do both
    >> from time to time. I am among the latter photographers.
    >>
    >> I hope that clarifies this contentious point.
    >>
    >> --
    >> john mcwilliams

    > This link will also help clear up just what it is.
    > http://www.sportsshooter.com/special_feature/chimping/
    >
    > Scott

    Well, I learn something new everyday. When I first read the post about
    "chimping" I thought Rita was talking about amateur photographers with
    point&shoot cameras... but now I know better. ;)

    --
    Morgan Ashley (Ashiri) Stevens
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/morganas/

    ashiri, Feb 4, 2007
  15. John McWilliams

    Mark² Guest

    Annika1980 wrote:
    > On Feb 3, 5:05 pm, Paul Heslop <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Take 10,000 shots of Condoleezza Rice

    >> You have a person with no sense of beauty :O)

    > You couldn't wipe the ugly off of her with CS3.

    Really? I think she isn't half bad looking. Rather pretty, in fact.
    Maybe it's cuz I'm a Republican...
    :)

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Feb 4, 2007
  16. John McWilliams

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 18:50:21 -0800, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    >> You couldn't wipe the ugly off of her with CS3.

    > Really? I think she isn't half bad looking. Rather pretty, in fact.
    > Maybe it's cuz I'm a Republican...

    Maybe it's cuz you're a myopic Republican. Besides, it's too late
    for you since her heart already belongs to Daddy. Daddy Shrub, that
    is. Not many women slip and refer to their boss as their "husband",
    as she did a while back. :)

    ASAAR, Feb 4, 2007
  17. Scott W wrote:

    > Well 10,000 shots in one sitting would be closer to video then it
    > would be to photography.
    >
    > But I would probably click 100 to 200.

    And this is considered the norm. A 100 good shots are better than 9, 900
    bad ones.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Feb 4, 2007
  18. John McWilliams

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Annika1980 wrote:

    > On Feb 3, 5:05 pm, Paul Heslop <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Take 10,000 shots of Condoleezza Rice

    > > You have a person with no sense of beauty :O)

    > You couldn't wipe the ugly off of her with CS3.

    I'm not sure I'd want to try, specially 10,000 times! :O)

    Paul Heslop, Feb 4, 2007
  19. John McWilliams

    Paul Heslop Guest

    ASAAR wrote:

    > >> You have a person with no sense of beauty :O)

    > > You couldn't wipe the ugly off of her with CS3.

    > She has no one but herself to blame. She uses so much petroleum
    > based makeup they named a tanker after her. The Condoleezza Maru
    > ain't yer average Rice boat.

    heh heh

    Paul Heslop, Feb 4, 2007
  20. John McWilliams

    Paul Heslop Guest

    "Mark²" wrote:

    > Annika1980 wrote:

    > >> You have a person with no sense of beauty :O)

    > > You couldn't wipe the ugly off of her with CS3.

    > Really? I think she isn't half bad looking. Rather pretty, in fact.
    > Maybe it's cuz I'm a Republican...
    > :)
    >
    > --
    > Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark² at:
    > www.pbase.com/markuson

    That's no excuse for poor ision. Get yourself down to your nearest
    laser eye surgeon, quick, there's no time to waste!

    http://pwp.netcabo.pt/pchenriques/oreivainufotos/condoleeza rice.jpg

    Paul Heslop, Feb 4, 2007