chickens pecking at my ports

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by \Crash\ Dummy, Nov 10, 2004.

  1. >visited one of those free security port scan sites about 2 months ago.
    >chickens been pecking at my ports ever since.
    >done got so bad two servers gets to pecking the instant my dialup
    >connects to my ISP.
    >never happened prior to them thar visits.

    Which security scan are you talking about? How do you define pecking? How many
    hits per second/minute/hour? Which ports?

    I think you are probably looking at a concidence. If you have a dialup
    connection, then you are likely getting a new IP each time you connect, so
    nobody is hunting you specifically. I suspect that somebody in your internet
    neighborhood got infected and is scanning the area for vulnerable systems.

    P.S. Servers don't peck.
    ?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
    http://lists.gpick.com
    \Crash\ Dummy, Nov 10, 2004

  2. \Crash\ Dummy

    gg Guest

    visited one of those free security port scan sites about 2 months ago.
    chickens been pecking at my ports ever since.
    done got so bad two servers gets to pecking the instant my dialup
    connects to my ISP.
    never happened prior to them thar visits.
    Uncle Jed and Ellie Mae, I got my bowels in a uproar.
    gg, Nov 10, 2004

  3. (gg) wrote in news::

    > visited one of those free security port scan sites about 2 months

    ago.
    > chickens been pecking at my ports ever since.
    > done got so bad two servers gets to pecking the instant my dialup
    > connects to my ISP.
    > never happened prior to them thar visits.
    > Uncle Jed and Ellie Mae, I got my bowels in a uproar.
    > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxMAKE YOUR

    COMPUTER FIREWALL SECURE !!!
    It is very likely that the software you are using to protect
    your computer isn't doing a complete job.
    All your "information" on your computer could be exposed !!!"

    ***You can guard your PRIVACY with our software !!! ***
    This program has proven effective in years of trials on thousands of
    computers !!

    Take this action -- go to our website at:
    myinvisusdirect.com/spotty3443
    Explore the websight and then call the contact phone
    number and talk to the technical people about your
    problems. They will be able to answer your questions.
    This software will correct and/or elimate the problems.

    After talking to the techs, you might feel that you can
    take the free computer scan and
    find out for yourself how much dangerous material
    is deposited on your computer. It searchs for
    viruses, spyware, adware, trojan horses, and hacker tools.
    Investigate the firewall provided by the software. Our
    program protedts against all these threats.
    THIS SOFTWARE IS THE REAL THING !!!!
    And the best part is that it can be FREE !!!
    E-mail me if you have any questions.
    Paul
    SECURTYfirewall, Nov 10, 2004
  4. 1) Download the following three items...

    Trend Sysclean Package

    Latest Trend Pattern File.

    Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Create a directory.
    On drive "C:\"
    (e.g., "c:\New Folder")
    or the desktop

    Download Sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
    Dowload the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
    For example; lpt244.zip

    sysclean.com.

    2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions.
    3) If you are using WinME or WinXP, disable System Restore
    4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode
    5) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware, perform a Full Scan of your
    platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
    (a few cycles may be needed)
    6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both the
    Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware
    7) If you are using WinME or WinXP, Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any
    System Restore preferences, (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
    8) Reboot your PC.
    9) If you are using WinME or WinXP, create a new Restore point

    You can also try some of the below online scanners.

    BitDefender:
    http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/license.php

    Computer Associates:

    DialogueScience:
    http://www.antivir.ru/english/www_av/

    F-Secure:
    http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml

    Freedom Online scanner:
    http://www.freedom.net/viruscenter/index.html

    Kaspersky:
    http://www.kaspersky.com/de/scanforvirus

    McAfee:
    http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

    Panda:

    RAV
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

    Symantec:
    http://security.symantec.com/

    Trend:
    http://housecall.antivirus.com
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com

    * * * Please report your results ! * * *

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Nov 10, 2004