    (ask me for the right e-mail address)
    ***
    If I have seen farther it is because I have stood on the shoulder of giants.

    Pea C, Mar 7, 2006

  2. Pea C

    Helen Guest

    "Pea C" <> wrote in message
    news:214d1$440df8e4$52776b94$...
    > Anyone is experienced with photography in this restricted area? Is a
    > permission needed? What photo-and-other-gear to take? How to plan the
    > trip?
    >
    > Thanx in advance?

    I should have thought there would be restrictions.
    Meanwhile, here is a most excellent site with many pics of the area:
    http://www.kiddofspeed.com/ which may give you some answers.

    Helen

    Helen, Mar 7, 2006

  3. Pea C

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 22:23:08 +0100, Pea C <> wrote:

    >Anyone is experienced with photography in this restricted area? Is a
    >permission needed? What photo-and-other-gear to take? How to plan the trip?
    >
    >Thanx in advance?

    Here's a link to a site of a woman who claimed to have taken a
    motorcycle through the area:
    http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter1.html
    Turns out she didn't *really* do this in a motorcycle while alone (her
    husband went with her in a car), but the photos are real, nonetheless.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Mar 7, 2006
  4. Pea C

    Eddie Guest

    "Helen" <> wrote in message

    > "Pea C" <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone is experienced with photography in this restricted area? Is a
    >> permission needed? What photo-and-other-gear to take? How to plan the
    >> trip?
    >>
    >> Thanx in advance?

    Why do you want to go there??

    This is similar to the tourists from cruise ships I have seen on TV reports
    touring around New Orleans derelict areas in buses while the local people
    were surveying the wrecks of their houses! Sick IMHO. :-((

    Ed

    Eddie, Mar 7, 2006
  5. Pea C

    Fred Lotte Guest

    In article <214d1$440df8e4$52776b94$>, Pea C <> wrote:

    > Anyone is experienced with photography in this restricted area?

    see <http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/chapter1.html>

    It's by a woman who rides her motorcycle thru the 'dead zone'. Plenty of pictures.

    --
    Fred Lotte

    Fred Lotte, Mar 7, 2006
  6. Pea C

    Helen Guest

    "Eddie" <> wrote in message

    > Why do you want to go there??

    Why ask me? Ask him.

    Helen, Mar 7, 2006
  7. Pea C

    Frank ess Guest

    Eddie wrote:

    >> "Pea C" <> wrote in message
    >>> Anyone is experienced with photography in this restricted area? Is
    >>> permission needed? What photo-and-other-gear to take? How to plan
    >>> the trip?
    >>>
    >>> Thanx in advance?

    > Why do you want to go there??
    >
    > This is similar to the tourists from cruise ships I have seen on TV
    > reports touring around New Orleans derelict areas in buses while
    > the
    > local people were surveying the wrecks of their houses! Sick IMHO.
    > :-((

    I think each is a rare opportunity for some meaningful catharsis.
    "Healing" and "constructive" are not out of the equation.

    --
    Frank ess
    "The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,

    the rubaiyat - omar khayyam - 11th century

    Frank ess, Mar 8, 2006
  8. Pea C

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Paul Rubin, Mar 8, 2006
  9. TheNewsGuy(Mike), Mar 8, 2006
  10. Pea C

    Brian Guest

    On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 06:51:14 -0500, "TheNewsGuy(Mike)"
    <> wrote:

    >Have your thyroid checked in a few years if you do go.

    Any R/A iodine has well decayed by now.

    Brian

    (For email change closed to open)

    Brian, Mar 8, 2006
  11. Helen <> wrote:

    > I should have thought there would be restrictions.
    > Meanwhile, here is a most excellent site with many pics of the area:
    > http://www.kiddofspeed.com/ which may give you some answers.

    Also, I think I would choose digital over film ... to avoid radiation
    exposure of the film :)

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    That's what she said.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Mar 9, 2006
  12. Pea C

    Rich Guest

    On 09 Mar 2006 13:53:50 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <>
    wrote:

    >Helen <> wrote:
    >>
    >> I should have thought there would be restrictions.
    >> Meanwhile, here is a most excellent site with many pics of the area:
    >> http://www.kiddofspeed.com/ which may give you some answers.
    >>

    >Also, I think I would choose digital over film ... to avoid radiation
    >exposure of the film :)

    Radiation locales are confined to Russia...

    http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/57042790

    Rich, Mar 10, 2006
  13. On 09 Mar 2006 13:53:50 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <>
    wrote:

    >Helen <> wrote:
    >>
    >> I should have thought there would be restrictions.
    >> Meanwhile, here is a most excellent site with many pics of the area:
    >> http://www.kiddofspeed.com/ which may give you some answers.
    >>

    >Also, I think I would choose digital over film ... to avoid radiation
    >exposure of the film :)

    and wear a lead suit?

    Can you imagine someone riding a motorcycle thru that area?

    Oh well....

    --

    Scott in Florida

    Scott in Florida, Mar 10, 2006
  14. Pea C

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Scott in Florida <> wrote:
    >On 09 Mar 2006 13:53:50 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <>
    >wrote:

    >>Helen <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I should have thought there would be restrictions.
    >>> Meanwhile, here is a most excellent site with many pics of the area:
    >>> http://www.kiddofspeed.com/ which may give you some answers.
    >>>

    >>Also, I think I would choose digital over film ... to avoid radiation
    >>exposure of the film :)

    >and wear a lead suit?

    >Can you imagine someone riding a motorcycle thru that area?

    >Oh well....

    I think the web site explains all that quite well.

    I also think that it is time that we all put aside our
    prejudices and read up on what the real problems are.
    There *are* real problems. Riding a motorcycle through
    the area if one stays on the roads isn't one.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Mar 11, 2006
  15. Pea C

    Chris Dubea Guest

    >This is similar to the tourists from cruise ships I have seen on TV reports
    >touring around New Orleans derelict areas in buses while the local people
    >were surveying the wrecks of their houses! Sick IMHO. :-((
    >
    >Ed

    Yes, but when they come to New Orleans to see the devastation, they
    spend money. This is one of the more important things that people can
    do to help New Orleans.

    The crowds at Mardi Gras this year were full of adults who came to
    town to "drop some coin" as their way of helping. It wasn't the usual
    teenyboppers flashing for beads (although I'm certain some of the
    folks I spoke with were guilty of that at some point in their lives).

    And not to belabor the point. You have NO idea until you see it in
    person.
    Chris

    Chris Dubea, Mar 13, 2006