Cheezy Flicks: Any Experience With This Company?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by One-Shot Scot, Oct 17, 2004.

  1. Mission Statement:

    "Cheezy Flicks was created expressly for the promotion of a specific
    genre of movies - "Cheezy Flicks". By that, we mean the cheeziest films
    on the planet - classic, horror, sci-fi, sword and sandal, euro-trash,
    you name it. They just have to meet our "cheezy" standards; typically
    things like horrible acting, an abysmal story line, and the worst set
    props possible will qualify a film as a Cheezy Flick."

    OK. So with high standards, such as horrible acting and abysmal story
    lines, I was expecting a crapfest of Ben Affleck and Leonardo DiCaprio
    flicks. Thankfully, I found none.

    But what about this?

    "Every Cheezy Flick DVD we release on this site is produced in our own
    state-of-the-art, digital post-production and DVD duplication facility
    in Portland, Oregon."

    So, can a company in Portland whip up homemade DVDs, such as _King
    Kong_?

    Coming In November 2004 - Pre-order Your Copy Today!

    The Most Awesome Thriller Of All Time!

    Out-leaping the maddest imaginings! Out-thrilling the wildest thrills!

    KING KONG

    Master showman Carl Denham (Robert Armstrong) has fallen on hard times
    due to the depression, and mounts an expedition to the mysterious Skull
    Island to find another showpiece. He takes along adventurer Jack
    Driscoll (Bruce Cabot) and the down-on-her-luck gorgeous blonde Ann
    Darrow (Fay Wray) with him to spice up the show. Arriving on the island,
    they discover it is home to gigantic beasts of all shapes and sizes
    ruled by Kong, a 30 foot tall gorilla. The natives kidnap Ann as a
    sacrifice for Kong, and the other crewmembers head into the dangerous
    island interior to rescue her. Beauty and The Beast is much too big of a
    story for Denham to ignore so Kong is taken to New York City where is
    presented as the "Eight Wonder Of The World". Kong escapes his chains
    and takes Darrow to the top of the Empire States Building where one of
    the best early special effects battle takes place high above the New
    York sky line. In the end beauty kills the Beast. Also known as Beast,
    The (1933), Eighth Wonder of the World, The (1933), Eighth Wonder, The
    (1933), King Ape (1933) and Kong (1933).

    KING KONG - Starring FAY WRAY with ROBERT ARMSTRONG, BRUCE CABOT,
    FRANK REICHER and SAM HARDY, Original music by MAX STEINER -
    Cinematography by EDWARD LINDEN - Special effects by HARRY REDMOND JR. -
    Written by MERIAN C. COOPER and EDGAR WALLACE - Executive producer DAVID
    O. SELZNICK - Produced and directed by MERIAN C. COOPER and ERNEST B.
    SCHOEDSACK

    King Kong Regular price: $24.95 Sale price: $19.99

    http://store.cheezyflicks.com/kingkong.html
    One-Shot Scot, Oct 17, 2004

  2. "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message

    One-Shot Scot wrote:

    > So, can a company in Portland whip up homemade DVDs, such as _King
    > Kong_?
    >
    > http://store.cheezyflicks.com/kingkong.html

    <<Well, y'see, they're not REALLY a bootleg site, Warner just thought
    they could do a better restoration job than they themselves had been
    doing for two years... :)>>

    <<Derek Janssen (I mean, they just woke up one morning and said, "Hey,
    what're we thinking?...We could be outsourcing this!") >>

    Well, whatever. I'm wondering what they are using for source material.
    Maybe a LaserDisc?

    Warner's been dicking around with the DVD version of _King Kong_ (1933)
    for the last couple of years. It seems that every part of the world has
    the official studio version of this flick -- except for Region 1.

    Sometimes Warner releases a crappy DVD version of a movie and later does
    it up brown with a double-disk, ultra-ultra definitive version. Why
    can't they do the same with _King Kong_? A crappy version is better than
    no version at all.

    I'm at the point where I am looking at the offerings on eBay. The Korean
    Region 0 version (which looks like it was copied from the German DVD
    version, "Der Monster Klassiker King Kong") looks interesting.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6330776828&rd=1

    Or maybe the Brazilian Region 0 version:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6332017849&rd=1
    One-Shot Scot, Oct 17, 2004

  3. "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message

    One-Shot Scot wrote:

    > So, can a company in Portland whip up homemade DVDs, such as _King
    > Kong_?
    >
    > http://store.cheezyflicks.com/kingkong.html

    <<Well, y'see, they're not REALLY a bootleg site, Warner just thought
    they could do a better restoration job than they themselves had been
    doing for two years... :)>>

    <<Derek Janssen (I mean, they just woke up one morning and said, "Hey,
    what're we thinking?...We could be outsourcing this!") >>

    I'm not so sure that Cheezy Flix Entertainment is a bootleg company.
    Amazon carries 6 of their titles:

    Death at Love House (1976)

    Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter (1966)

    Inn of the Damned DVD

    Convoy

    Dracula Vs Frankenstein (1973)

    Blackbeard the Pirate (1952)

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/ref=dp_sr_00/103-0844378-3194216
    One-Shot Scot, Oct 17, 2004

    Derek Janssen, Oct 17, 2004
  5. One-Shot Scot wrote:

    > <<Well, y'see, they're not REALLY a bootleg site, Warner just thought
    > they could do a better restoration job than they themselves had been
    > doing for two years... :)>>
    >
    > I'm not so sure that Cheezy Flix Entertainment is a bootleg company.
    > Amazon carries 6 of their titles:

    Amazon is a RUMMAGE SALE. That's how they started out.

    > Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter (1966)
    >
    > Dracula Vs Frankenstein (1973)
    >
    > Convoy

    (Of course, the fact that these have already been released by other
    companies...)

    Derek Janssen (errrrrr...doesn't look so good)
    Derek Janssen, Oct 17, 2004
  6. Thanks for the post and link to this site. I enjoyed seeing Convoy is
    available now. I purchased it about six years ago on VCD from
    yesasia.com due it not being in print in the usa on vhs or dvd at the
    time.
    Joseph Phillips, Oct 17, 2004
  7. "Joseph Phillips" <> wrote in message

    <<Thanks for the post and link to this site. I enjoyed seeing Convoy is
    available now. I purchased it about six years ago on VCD from
    yesasia.com due it not being in print in the usa on vhs or dvd at the
    time.>>

    Amazon is asking $19.99 for _Convoy_ and that amount falls short of the
    $25 needed for free shipping. And Amazon says "Availability: Usually
    ships within 1 to 2 weeks." Cheezy Flicks is currently asking "Sale
    price: $17.95" for this title.

    I just ordered _King Kong _ (1933) from Cheezy Flicks and selected UPS
    Ground, because Portland is a 2-day UPS Ground trip. Oregon has no sales
    tax and apparently, the UPS ground shipping is free:

    Thank you for your order. Please print this page for your records.

    Your order number is: xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    Ship to One-Shot Scot

    Bill to One-Shot Scot

    Via UPS Ground Commercial

    Item Unit Price Quantity Subtotal
    King Kong 19.99 1 19.99
    Total Purchases 19.99
    Total for Cheezy Flicks Entertainment, Inc. 19.99

    I have never ordered from Cheezy Flicks and am anxiously awaiting this
    _King Kong_ DVD. If you order _Convoy_ from them, please post your
    experience.
    One-Shot Scot, Oct 17, 2004
  8. One-Shot Scot

    kwpan

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    I bought convoy and just finished watching it good copy but can't understand why they cut out the intervieus with the other drivers while in the convoy in the middle of the movie cheezy flicks site is down so can't even ask them.
    kwpan, Apr 23, 2011