    account instead of the school's mail server. At the moment they use
    dialup but it would be an advantage to have their connectivity through
    our Paradise cable.
    SchoolTech, Feb 6, 2005

  2. SchoolTech

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "SchoolTech" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >A little while back I remember there was a discussion on checking Xtra mail
    >through another ISP.
    >
    > What was the product that for a small additional charge enables this? I've
    > got a staff member who for privacy reasons uses a separate Xtra account
    > instead of the school's mail server. At the moment they use dialup but it
    > would be an advantage to have their connectivity through our Paradise
    > cable.

    All he needs to do is add his Xtra email account settings under "accounts"
    in the email program (on OE at least). The Paradise account would still be
    the default account of course. While connected to Paradise as usual, he
    then manually selects to check his Xtra email account. He can get the
    emails in from his Xtra addresss, but will have to reply from Paradise,
    unless he connects up through his Xtra account if he wants to reply back
    from his Xtra address.
    No charges no extra software needed, not for OE anyway uses anyway. I can
    check my ihug addresses from Slingshot, and vice versa. Once setup he only
    has to select send/receive to check his Xtra address.
    The only possible problem could be trying to check a dialup account from a
    cable connection. Others might be able to tell you if it's possible or not.
    That would be the only catch.

    Since no one else has replied you'll have to make do with this for now.
    Trying to check his Xtra emails from cable on Paradise will soon reveal if
    it's possible or not. On dialup there'd be no worries. Perhaps he's
    already tried it and was shit out of luck. Is that why the questions about
    another product and charges after the obvious wouldn't work?

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Feb 6, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    SchoolTech <> wrote:

    > What was the product that for a small additional charge enables this?
    > I've got a staff member who for privacy reasons uses a separate Xtra
    > account instead of the school's mail server. At the moment they use
    > dialup but it would be an advantage to have their connectivity through
    > our Paradise cable.

    There shouldn't be any special products involved. Any email application
    can retrieve from a POP server with just the logon name and password. Or
    you can access it via Webmail and any browser.

    Uploading email is a different story. To stop spammers dumping their
    junk willy-nilly, you must post your outgoing emails through the SMTP
    server of the ISP you are connected with, so they can tell who you are.
    (or do it via webmail)

    I subscribe via iHug but pick up mail from a business account at
    Paradise, during the same mail call on both Eudora and Mail.app,
    depending on which computer I'm using. No problems.

    --
    YAnewsWatcher.
    YAnewswatcher, Feb 6, 2005
  4. E. Scrooge said the following on 6/02/2005 9:42 p.m.:
    > "SchoolTech" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>A little while back I remember there was a discussion on checking Xtra mail
    >>through another ISP.
    >>
    >>What was the product that for a small additional charge enables this? I've
    >>got a staff member who for privacy reasons uses a separate Xtra account
    >>instead of the school's mail server. At the moment they use dialup but it
    >>would be an advantage to have their connectivity through our Paradise
    >>cable.

    > All he needs to do is add his Xtra email account settings under "accounts"
    > in the email program (on OE at least). The Paradise account would still be
    > the default account of course. While connected to Paradise as usual, he
    > then manually selects to check his Xtra email account. He can get the
    > emails in from his Xtra addresss, but will have to reply from Paradise,
    > unless he connects up through his Xtra account if he wants to reply back
    > from his Xtra address.
    > No charges no extra software needed, not for OE anyway uses anyway. I can
    > check my ihug addresses from Slingshot, and vice versa. Once setup he only
    > has to select send/receive to check his Xtra address.
    > The only possible problem could be trying to check a dialup account from a
    > cable connection. Others might be able to tell you if it's possible or not.
    > That would be the only catch.
    >
    > Since no one else has replied you'll have to make do with this for now.
    > Trying to check his Xtra emails from cable on Paradise will soon reveal if
    > it's possible or not. On dialup there'd be no worries. Perhaps he's
    > already tried it and was shit out of luck. Is that why the questions about
    > another product and charges after the obvious wouldn't work?
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    EHHH Wrong. Good solution description but the problem is that Xtra do
    not allow pop from outside there own network. They allow pop via
    authentication using some third party stuff but it is messy and IIRC
    only works with some other providers, none of them NZ based.

    My solution for a client who traveled to the USA wa to get him a free
    for life email account with Orcon, set up his xtra account to foward his
    mail to it. He was then able to pop that where ever he was so long as he
    had an internet connection.

    Perhaps the poster could set him up with an alias email account at
    paradise and do something similar.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Feb 6, 2005
  5. YAnewswatcher said the following on 6/02/2005 9:47 p.m.:
    > In article <>,
    > SchoolTech <> wrote:
    >

    >>What was the product that for a small additional charge enables this?
    >>I've got a staff member who for privacy reasons uses a separate Xtra
    >>account instead of the school's mail server. At the moment they use
    >>dialup but it would be an advantage to have their connectivity through
    >>our Paradise cable.

    > There shouldn't be any special products involved. Any email application
    > can retrieve from a POP server with just the logon name and password. Or
    > you can access it via Webmail and any browser.
    >
    > Uploading email is a different story. To stop spammers dumping their
    > junk willy-nilly, you must post your outgoing emails through the SMTP
    > server of the ISP you are connected with, so they can tell who you are.
    > (or do it via webmail)
    >
    > I subscribe via iHug but pick up mail from a business account at
    > Paradise, during the same mail call on both Eudora and Mail.app,
    > depending on which computer I'm using. No problems.

    Trouble is xtra do not allow pop or smtp from outside there own network
    so if you are connected via say Paradise you cannot pop an xtra email box.

    They have a third party roaming solution (paid for of course per use)
    which will work with nominated services overseas but not in NZ.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Feb 6, 2005
  6. SchoolTech

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    > E. Scrooge said the following on 6/02/2005 9:42 p.m.:
    >> "SchoolTech" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>A little while back I remember there was a discussion on checking Xtra
    >>>mail through another ISP.
    >>>
    >>>What was the product that for a small additional charge enables this?
    >>>I've got a staff member who for privacy reasons uses a separate Xtra
    >>>account instead of the school's mail server. At the moment they use
    >>>dialup but it would be an advantage to have their connectivity through
    >>>our Paradise cable.

    >> All he needs to do is add his Xtra email account settings under
    >> "accounts" in the email program (on OE at least). The Paradise account
    >> would still be the default account of course. While connected to
    >> Paradise as usual, he then manually selects to check his Xtra email
    >> account. He can get the emails in from his Xtra addresss, but will have
    >> to reply from Paradise, unless he connects up through his Xtra account if
    >> he wants to reply back from his Xtra address.
    >> No charges no extra software needed, not for OE anyway uses anyway. I
    >> can check my ihug addresses from Slingshot, and vice versa. Once setup
    >> he only has to select send/receive to check his Xtra address.
    >> The only possible problem could be trying to check a dialup account from
    >> a cable connection. Others might be able to tell you if it's possible or
    >> not. That would be the only catch.
    >>
    >> Since no one else has replied you'll have to make do with this for now.
    >> Trying to check his Xtra emails from cable on Paradise will soon reveal
    >> if it's possible or not. On dialup there'd be no worries. Perhaps he's
    >> already tried it and was shit out of luck. Is that why the questions
    >> about another product and charges after the obvious wouldn't work?
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > EHHH Wrong. Good solution description but the problem is that Xtra do not
    > allow pop from outside there own network. They allow pop via
    > authentication using some third party stuff but it is messy and IIRC only
    > works with some other providers, none of them NZ based.
    >
    > My solution for a client who traveled to the USA wa to get him a free for
    > life email account with Orcon, set up his xtra account to foward his mail
    > to it. He was then able to pop that where ever he was so long as he had an
    > internet connection.
    >
    > Perhaps the poster could set him up with an alias email account at
    > paradise and do something similar.

    Thanks.
    Well that's real handy of Xtra. The only other thing he could do is to go
    to Xtra website and use webmail to check his Xtra emails, or does he have to
    be connected through Xtra to do that as well?
    If that doesn't work he might be better to just dial out to his Xtra
    account. Be a good enough reason for him to get a better ISP. Then he
    would be able to check his ISP email from the Paradise account.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Feb 6, 2005
  7. SchoolTech

    Adder Guest

    In article <> in
    nz.comp on Sun, 06 Feb 2005 21:47:47 +1300, YAnewswatcher
    <> says...
    > In article <>,
    > SchoolTech <> wrote:
    >
    > > What was the product that for a small additional charge enables this?
    > > I've got a staff member who for privacy reasons uses a separate Xtra
    > > account instead of the school's mail server. At the moment they use
    > > dialup but it would be an advantage to have their connectivity through
    > > our Paradise cable.

    > There shouldn't be any special products involved. Any email application
    > can retrieve from a POP server with just the logon name and password.

    bullcrap

    any Isp can block there pop server from being accessed except from a
    restruicted range of Ips. Xtra does this

    > Or
    > you can access it via Webmail and any browser.

    most webmails such bigtime
    Adder, Feb 6, 2005
  8. SchoolTech

    Allistar Guest

    *sling wrote:

    > "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    >> E. Scrooge said the following on 6/02/2005 9:42 p.m.:
    >>> "SchoolTech" <> wrote in message

    >>> All he needs to do is add his Xtra email account settings under
    >>> "accounts" in the email program (on OE at least). The Paradise account
    >>> would still be the default account of course. While connected to
    >>> Paradise as usual, he then manually selects to check his Xtra email
    >>> account. He can get the emails in from his Xtra addresss, but will have
    >>> to reply from Paradise, unless he connects up through his Xtra account
    >>> if he wants to reply back from his Xtra address.
    >>> No charges no extra software needed, not for OE anyway uses anyway. I
    >>> can check my ihug addresses from Slingshot, and vice versa. Once setup
    >>> he only has to select send/receive to check his Xtra address.
    >>> The only possible problem could be trying to check a dialup account from
    >>> a cable connection. Others might be able to tell you if it's possible
    >>> or not. That would be the only catch.
    >>>
    >>> Since no one else has replied you'll have to make do with this for now.
    >>> Trying to check his Xtra emails from cable on Paradise will soon reveal
    >>> if it's possible or not. On dialup there'd be no worries. Perhaps he's
    >>> already tried it and was shit out of luck. Is that why the questions
    >>> about another product and charges after the obvious wouldn't work?
    >>>
    >>> E. Scrooge

    >> EHHH Wrong. Good solution description but the problem is that Xtra do not
    >> allow pop from outside there own network. They allow pop via
    >> authentication using some third party stuff but it is messy and IIRC only
    >> works with some other providers, none of them NZ based.
    >>
    >> My solution for a client who traveled to the USA wa to get him a free for
    >> life email account with Orcon, set up his xtra account to foward his mail
    >> to it. He was then able to pop that where ever he was so long as he had
    >> an internet connection.
    >>
    >> Perhaps the poster could set him up with an alias email account at
    >> paradise and do something similar.

    > Thanks.
    > Well that's real handy of Xtra. The only other thing he could do is to go
    > to Xtra website and use webmail to check his Xtra emails, or does he have
    > to be connected through Xtra to do that as well?
    > If that doesn't work he might be better to just dial out to his Xtra
    > account. Be a good enough reason for him to get a better ISP. Then he
    > would be able to check his ISP email from the Paradise account.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    If the xtra account is an ADSL one and is always on, then it wouldn't be too
    hard to set up a proxy of some kind to access the server. Could do remote X
    or use ssh to do this to.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Feb 6, 2005
  9. E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>A little while back I remember there was a discussion on checking Xtra mail
    >>through another ISP.

    > No charges no extra software needed, not for OE anyway uses anyway.

    not quite... Xtra block access to their pop3 servers from outside of
    their network... an account add-on is necessary.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 6, 2005

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 6, 2005
  11. SchoolTech

    A.D. Guest

    Re: Checking Xtra mail through another ISP - the answer

    SchoolTech wrote:
    > A little while back I remember there was a discussion on checking Xtra
    > mail through another ISP.
    >
    > What was the product that for a small additional charge enables this?
    > I've got a staff member who for privacy reasons uses a separate Xtra
    > account instead of the school's mail server. At the moment they use
    > dialup but it would be an advantage to have their connectivity through
    > our Paradise cable.

    Well that got complicated all of a sudden. You people scare me the way
    you go on sometimes. To quote my old post...

    <snip>

    Secure Remote Email
    http://www.xtra.co.nz/products/0,,11954,00.html

    Cost = $2.50/mth

    Login here to subscribe;
    https://selfservice.xtra.co.nz/live/selfservice/emailservice/

    </snip>

    A.D.
    A.D., Feb 8, 2005
  12. Re: Checking Xtra mail through another ISP - the answer

    A.D. said the following on 8/02/2005 7:07 p.m.:
    > SchoolTech wrote:
    >
    >> A little while back I remember there was a discussion on checking Xtra
    >> mail through another ISP.
    >>
    >> What was the product that for a small additional charge enables this?
    >> I've got a staff member who for privacy reasons uses a separate Xtra
    >> account instead of the school's mail server. At the moment they use
    >> dialup but it would be an advantage to have their connectivity through
    >> our Paradise cable.

    > Well that got complicated all of a sudden. You people scare me the way
    > you go on sometimes. To quote my old post...
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Secure Remote Email
    > http://www.xtra.co.nz/products/0,,11954,00.html
    >
    > Cost = $2.50/mth
    >
    > Login here to subscribe;
    > https://selfservice.xtra.co.nz/live/selfservice/emailservice/
    >
    > </snip>
    >
    > A.D.

    Yeah they have added that since the last time I check what they had
    available. They only used tohave IPASS and that was shit.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Feb 8, 2005
  13. SchoolTech

    Adder Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on Mon, 07 Feb
    2005 08:26:27 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz <> says...
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    > >>A little while back I remember there was a discussion on checking Xtra mail
    > >>through another ISP.

    > > No charges no extra software needed, not for OE anyway uses anyway.

    > not quite... Xtra block access to their pop3 servers from outside of
    > their network... an account add-on is necessary.

    called secure remote email
    Adder, Feb 9, 2005