Checking Xtra email from a Vodafone phone

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by bottom, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. bottom

    bottom Guest

    Considering many people have Xtra email.... and a lot of
    people have Vodafone phones..you can't easily and practically use the
    native ability of Vodafone phones to check Xtra Pop email.
    This really hacks me off and I'm sure it hacks a lot of
    other people off. Considering all the hyped advertising on
    the TV at the moment.. They don't say (excluding Xtra users
    do they !!!)

    The only options I've found so far.. are

    (1) Setup a dialup account on the Vodafone phone
    rather than access via GPRS.. But this is more expensive
    because you're paying a call rate.

    (2) Use the Web Browser on the phone to goto
    xtramail.co.nz and check that way.. but thats awful.

    (3) Setup an automatic forward rule in the xtra account
    settings to forward to a Vodafone.co.nz dummy account and
    have the phone pickup via GPRS from there.
    But then you loose the Spam and Virus checking
    of Xtra.. so I get 100 more messages per day.. which costs
    money downloading and deleting the headers on the phone.

    Considering I want to keep my Xtra email accounts (because they
    are business related and would be too hard to change).. and
    want to keep my expensive Vodafone phone.. what other option does anyone
    know about? (Besides the impossible of getting Telecom to
    open access to their POP accounts from other ISP's)

    bottom, Jul 27, 2004

  2. bottom wrote:
    >They don't say (excluding Xtra users do they !!!)

    Nor should they. If Telecom/Xtra decide to restrict access, it isn't
    anything to do with Vodafone.

    Other options...

    Set up your own server on an Xtra connection (Using someone elses system
    if necessary), and have popfetch (or equivalent) fetch the content from
    your Xtra account to a local account. This preserves spam filtering, and
    even better permits all your mail to be accessed from one location.

    Alternatively, again using an Xtra account, you could set up a
    redirection server like rinetd (http://www.boutell.com/rinetd/) to
    connect directly to the Xtra POP server when you connect to it.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jul 27, 2004

  3. bottom wrote:
    > Considering I want to keep my Xtra email accounts (because they
    > are business related and would be too hard to change).. and
    > want to keep my expensive Vodafone phone.. what other option does anyone
    > know about? (Besides the impossible of getting Telecom to
    > open access to their POP accounts from other ISP's)

    Go Telecom for your Cell, but I guess you don't want to hear that.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 27, 2004
  4. Chris wrote:
    > First, it's not Vodaphone that blocks Xtra, it's the other way round.
    >
    > To get around this problem you could:
    >
    > 1. Set up a free Orcon account (they let you use this for business)
    > 2. FWD xtra email to your new Orcon account (you can set that up on the
    > Xtra web interface) 3. Enjoy the use of the Orcon SPAM and Virus
    > checking (Orcon allow you to change the settings on both) 4. You can POP
    > Orcon from Vodaphone, use the Vodaphone SMTP

    I would avoid forwarding if at all possible. If the destination server
    (Orcon) were to implement software supporting SPF (Sender Policy
    Framework), and the forwarding server (Xtra) were not to rewrite the
    addresses as SPF requires, you could end up having legitimate e-mails
    incorrectly deleted.

    Where possible, something like popfetch is a better option as it avoids
    SPF processing. It also removes the possibility of mail being lost in
    transit or not making it out of Xtras spool for long periods of time.
    Unfortunately Orcon doesn't support this configuration.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jul 27, 2004
  5. bottom

    Chris Guest

    Chris, Jul 27, 2004
  6. bottom

    EMB Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:

    > I would avoid forwarding if at all possible. If the destination server
    > (Orcon) were to implement software supporting SPF (Sender Policy
    > Framework), and the forwarding server (Xtra) were not to rewrite the
    > addresses as SPF requires, you could end up having legitimate e-mails
    > incorrectly deleted.

    IIRC Xtra's forwarding settings allow a copy to remian on their server
    so any mail that is lost in the forwarding process is a nuisance rather
    than a disaster.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, Jul 27, 2004
  7. bottom

    Chris Guest

    EMB <> wrote in news:ce6hjn$3ne$:

    > The Other Guy wrote:
    >

    >> I would avoid forwarding if at all possible. If the destination server
    >> (Orcon) were to implement software supporting SPF (Sender Policy
    >> Framework), and the forwarding server (Xtra) were not to rewrite the
    >> addresses as SPF requires, you could end up having legitimate e-mails
    >> incorrectly deleted.

    > IIRC Xtra's forwarding settings allow a copy to remian on their server
    > so any mail that is lost in the forwarding process is a nuisance rather
    > than a disaster.

    It does, I looked yesterday

    Chris, Jul 28, 2004
  8. bottom

    Alastair Guest

    In <nVqNc.5813$> bottom wrote:

    > Considering I want to keep my Xtra email accounts (because they
    > are business related and would be too hard to change).. and
    > want to keep my expensive Vodafone phone.. what other option does
    > anyone know about? (Besides the impossible of getting Telecom to open
    > access to their POP accounts from other ISP's)

    Do Xtra really block access to their POP server from other ISPs? Someone
    has mentioned this to me before, but I didn't believe them at the time.
    Have any other ISPs in New Zealand adopted this practise? Is there any
    reasonable justification for it?

    --
    Regards, Alastair.
    http://www.alastair.net.nz

    Alastair, Jul 28, 2004
  9. Alastair wrote:
    > Do Xtra really block access to their POP server from other ISPs?

    yes

    > Someone
    > has mentioned this to me before, but I didn't believe them at the time.
    > Have any other ISPs in New Zealand adopted this practise?

    no

    > Is there any
    > reasonable justification for it?

    advertising revenue from xtramail maybe?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 28, 2004
  10. In article <>,
    says...
    > In <nVqNc.5813$> bottom wrote:
    >
    > > Considering I want to keep my Xtra email accounts (because they
    > > are business related and would be too hard to change).. and
    > > want to keep my expensive Vodafone phone.. what other option does
    > > anyone know about? (Besides the impossible of getting Telecom to open
    > > access to their POP accounts from other ISP's)

    > Do Xtra really block access to their POP server from other ISPs? Someone
    > has mentioned this to me before, but I didn't believe them at the time.
    > Have any other ISPs in New Zealand adopted this practise? Is there any
    > reasonable justification for it?

    Yes there is. If you access their POP server from another ISP and you are
    signed up on hourly charges, they don't get any money from you for the
    service.

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 28, 2004
  11. On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:54:44 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >> Do Xtra really block access to their POP server from other ISPs? Someone
    >> has mentioned this to me before, but I didn't believe them at the time.
    >> Have any other ISPs in New Zealand adopted this practise? Is there any
    >> reasonable justification for it?

    >Yes there is. If you access their POP server from another ISP and you are
    >signed up on hourly charges, they don't get any money from you for the
    >service.

    Don't they still bill a minimum of $5.00 a month for the "priviledge"
    of having an xtra account? I'll have to check. I only keep mine for
    the e-mail address, I don't have a dial-up modem anymore and my DSL is
    thru IHUG so I dunno how the hell I am supposed to connect to xtra. :)
    The option is either XtraMail or Forwarding, but one would think that
    if they're charging everyone $5.00 to keep their account (to obviously
    justify those that do just use it for e-mail) that they actually make
    e-mail accessable...

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Jul 28, 2004
  12. bottom

    EMB Guest

    Kristofer Clayton wrote:

    > Don't they still bill a minimum of $5.00 a month for the "priviledge"
    > of having an xtra account?

    Shhhhh.....they haven't caught up with this one yet - my xtra email &
    dialup still work, but I only get charged when I use it

    EMB, Jul 28, 2004
  13. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:54:44 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >> Do Xtra really block access to their POP server from other ISPs? Someone
    > >> has mentioned this to me before, but I didn't believe them at the time.
    > >> Have any other ISPs in New Zealand adopted this practise? Is there any
    > >> reasonable justification for it?

    > >Yes there is. If you access their POP server from another ISP and you are
    > >signed up on hourly charges, they don't get any money from you for the
    > >service.

    > Don't they still bill a minimum of $5.00 a month for the "priviledge"
    > of having an xtra account? I'll have to check.

    Never seen these charges on my account. Some months I get charged less
    than $5.

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 28, 2004
  14. bottom

    bottom Guest

    But if an Xtra user is actively using the Xtra services.. Jetstream,,
    dialiup etc.
    ie: paying lots of money to Xtra... and Telecom don't offer good cellphones
    and the user decides to use Vodafone for cellphones.. its a real CON that
    the user can't access the email directly.

    Basically they are saying.. use our crap cellphones or you can't
    access your email properly!
    ..

    bottom, Jul 29, 2004