    Thoughts?

    --
    conrad
    conrad, Feb 18, 2009

  2. conrad

    flamer Guest

    On Feb 19, 11:57 am, conrad <> wrote:
    > Is there a command that doesn't involve the use of
    > logging, to check for bandwith usage? A recent
    > problem I had ran into was a machine sending
    > out a broadcast continuously and it hosed the
    > switch(a 3750).  The machine was found via
    > a network monitoring tool but it would be
    > nice to identify such a culprit via the
    > command line on a cisco switch.
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > --
    > conrad

    you can easily see the real time traffic on any port, by using the
    "show interface xx" command. you can also set the load interval time
    to 30 seconds in the interface configuration mode so when you do the
    show int command you see the load averaged over 30 seconds (rather
    than the default 5 minutes).

    There are some commands you should also look into to stop this
    happening again:

    "udld port" stops unidirectional traffic on a port, such as in the
    case of a layer 2 loop. puts interface into err-disabled mode
    "storm-control broadcast level 3.00" which will allow up to 3% of the
    total bandwidth to be broadcast traffic before filtering it out.

    Also if you need to access the switch remotely then you should use the
    commands:

    errdisable recovery cause udld
    errdisable recovery cause storm-control

    which re-enables the port after 30 seconds should it ever be put into
    err-disabled mode fromt he storm control or the udld protection.
    (otherwise it will stay in err-disabled mode until you manually
    restore it.

    Flamer.
    flamer , Feb 23, 2009