    many thanks
    Dave

    , Nov 21, 2007

  2. writes:
    >I am aware that commands can change dependant upon what software
    >version is running, so...

    Typically the commands change depending on your feature sets. You keep
    the same feature set, then there is no (or almost no) changes. You get
    a different one loaded, then things can change quite dramatically.

    For the almost no change, most all changes of this sort are changing
    the default behavior of old into the only mode of operation. In all cases
    that I've run across the little changes between major versions, the
    changes never affected me or my configs.

    >How can I easily check to see if a new IOS is compatible with the
    >config running on a router or switch?

    Keep the same feature set, and you'll be pretty safe. If you have to
    move from one feature set to another, then you'll be needing to
    compare the differences in Cisco feature navigator quite a bit.
    (http://cisco.com/go/fn)

    >Can I do it easily? I have over 100 routers and switches and large
    >configs!

    No, not easily.
    But its never been too difficult for me to keep the same feature set.

    The commands that 98% of configs out there use are pretty basic overall.

    Doug McIntyre, Nov 21, 2007

  3. Guest

    On Nov 21, 12:50 pm, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    > writes:
    > >I am aware that commands can change dependant upon what software
    > >version is running, so...

    > Typically the commands change depending on your feature sets. You keep
    > the same feature set, then there is no (or almost no) changes. You get
    > a different one loaded, then things can change quite dramatically.
    >
    > For the almost no change, most all changes of this sort are changing
    > the default behavior of old into the only mode of operation. In all cases
    > that I've run across the little changes between major versions, the
    > changes never affected me or my configs.
    >
    > >How can I easily check to see if a new IOS is compatible with the
    > >config running on a router or switch?

    > Keep the same feature set, and you'll be pretty safe. If you have to
    > move from one feature set to another, then you'll be needing to
    > compare the differences in Cisco feature navigator quite a bit.
    > (http://cisco.com/go/fn)
    >
    > >Can I do it easily? I have over 100 routers and switches and large
    > >configs!

    > No, not easily.
    > But its never been too difficult for me to keep the same feature set.
    >
    > The commands that 98% of configs out there use are pretty basic overall.

    Doug your a star, thanks very much for your reply.

    , Nov 21, 2007