    desk, but the input over the years has been fabulous for other issues.

    Thanks in advance,
    Tom Tricep

    Tom Tricep, Apr 15, 2005

  2. Tom Tricep wrote:
    > I have a small biz, write about 60 checks per month. Would like to
    > have this as an accounting program as well. What do you recomend?
    > quickbooks? Do I download it off the net, or should I buy in a store?
    > I would need to network the program too on a peer to peer system.
    >
    > Thanks in advance, I know that this is not the usual for the help
    > desk, but the input over the years has been fabulous for other issues.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Tom Tricep

    Quickbooks is pretty heavy duty for a small one-man-show business.
    Quicken might be a better solution for you. Or Microsoft Money that
    comes with many new computers is easy to use. A quibble with the Quicken
    people is they keep trying to sell you more stuff. Guess I can't blame
    them too much, but it's annoying at times.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 15, 2005

  3. Tom Tricep

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:43:53 -0700, Tom Tricep <> wrote:

    >I have a small biz, write about 60 checks per month.

    What are you checking? Cars? Computers? What?

    >Would like to
    >have this as an accounting program as well. What do you recomend?
    >quickbooks?

    Isn't Quickbooks for cheques?

    >Do I download it off the net, or should I buy in a store?
    >I would need to network the program too on a peer to peer system.
    >
    >Thanks in advance, I know that this is not the usual for the help
    >desk, but the input over the years has been fabulous for other issues.

    You need to tell us what things you check and what sort of services you need.

    >Thanks in advance,
    >Tom Tricep

    Barry

    Barry OGrady, Apr 16, 2005
  4. Tom Tricep

    dwacon Guest

    dwacon, Apr 16, 2005
  5. Tom Tricep

    Keme Guest

    Tom Tricep wrote:
    > I have a small biz, write about 60 checks per month. Would like to
    > have this as an accounting program as well. What do you recomend?
    > quickbooks? Do I download it off the net, or should I buy in a store?
    > I would need to network the program too on a peer to peer system.
    >
    > Thanks in advance, I know that this is not the usual for the help
    > desk, but the input over the years has been fabulous for other issues.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Tom Tricep

    A quick reading of the product descriptions on web does not reveal any
    "networking support", neither in Quickbooks nor in the products
    recommended by others, MS Money and Quicken. If you need concurrent
    access from multiple workstations, you should investigate that before
    you buy.

    Then, of course, you may want to roll your own. Set up a DB server
    engine (like MySQL) as a database service on one computer and create an
    accounting database on that service. Then use your Office suite (e.g.
    OpenOffice) to connect to the database from the computers you need it
    on. Softwarewise that basic setup is free (given the suggested products)
    and you have concurrent access, but DB setup takes time.
    Prerequisites for "roll your own"
    - Basic understanding of what networking and client/server DB are
    - Some knowledge of SQL
    - At least the computer running the DB service needs to run Win 2000 pro
    or newer (or Mac OS-X; any linux or other *nix version will do the job,
    as will Novell NetWare, but I guess you don't use Novell on your
    business network.)

    Additionally, if you do your own accounting, all the accounting help
    found in the mentioned packages is something you probably want to pay
    for (you need your accounts done properly, or you'll get into problems
    with the IRS or similar authority, depending on where you do your
    buiness). If you use an accounting service and only need billing/shadow
    accounting, and you want to try setting up a database and client server
    DB service, MySQL web pages and howtos for OpenOffice exist.

    Keme, Apr 16, 2005
  6. Tom Tricep

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 02:14:33 -0400, "dwacon" <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:43:53 -0700, Tom Tricep <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I have a small biz, write about 60 checks per month.

    >Quicken or Microsoft Money.

    Aren't they for cheques?

    >--
    >Pater Familias