    hurting themselves. I'd hire someone who didn't have a ton of experience,
    or very little, if they demonstrated initiative and a good understanding of
    how to get around th technology.

    Rob Cimarolli, Mar 18, 2005

  2. Rob Cimarolli

    Briscobar Guest

    In news:e$,
    Rob Cimarolli <> rambled:
    > Fellas,

    Your overall point is well taken, and I agree.

    > I have to agree (as a newly minted MCP) that someone cheating on an
    > exam does cheapen the cert, but I think the other side of the story
    > is relevant too, that side being that while a resume full of
    > Microsoft alphabet soup might get someone in the door for an
    > interview, I can't imagine how any IT Manager would hire someone
    > who's passed in the manner you describe.

    However, I disagree that this is the "other side of the story." It's more
    the *result* of the cheater's actions. No IT manager wants an MCP, MCSE,
    MCASSCLOWN, whatever, anymore. This is because they've been burned, know
    someone who's been burned, or just know the state of the certs, and don't
    want to take the risk on Mr. Alphabet Soup, when others just like him (hell,
    it might even *be* him!) don't know their arse from a hole in the ground
    when it comes to computers.

    My .02

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Briscobar AT gmail DOT com

    www.mcngp.com is too long to fit into a haiku.

    Briscobar, Mar 18, 2005

  3. Not sure I completely understand what you disagree with...sounds to me like
    we're both nodding with each other's points.

    Regardless, I think that IT Managers have been burned by cheaters, but also
    by exam crams and braindumps. I recently took a course for MCSA/MCDST, and
    in this class there were several individuals who were there by their own
    admission for the "money". these same folks were the ones talking about
    going to a braindump or cram site for the express purpose of passing the
    tests. I hate to say it, but these folks were also the weakest students in
    the class.

    Now, when an IT manager has to sift through these folks in the interview
    process, and sees certs in their resumes, I can see why several would
    devalue certification over experience. That's a no-brainer. But cheaters
    and crammers aside, I still maintain that if you come into an interview with
    a positive attitude, are realistic about your experience, show enthusiasm
    and a willingness to learn, and show potential, you'll beat out the crammers
    and cheaters. Believe me, if you ask a cheater how they'd go about solving
    a particular set of problems on the network, and they struggle for a place
    to start because they only have soundbites of knowledge, they'll never get
    the job.

    On the other hand, if you can show that while you maybe haven't performed
    that task before, but know enough to work your way through it in a
    deliberate fashion, that should give the mgr a bit of a warm fuzzy about
    taking a chance on you. I don't know, maybe I'm too much of an optimist.

    What has your experience with certification and employability been? Have
    the certifications landed you the interview, or what?

    Rob Cimarolli, Mar 19, 2005
  4. Rob Cimarolli

    Nocturnal Guest

    I agree wholeheartedly. It is those who are in it for the money that
    normally attempt to just go ahead and defraud ALL of us. Not only
    Microsoft.

    Nocturnal, Mar 19, 2005
  5. Rob Cimarolli

    Guest Guest

    "Nocturnal" <noctATsREMOVEupz.net> wrote in message
    >I agree wholeheartedly. It is those who are in it for the money that
    >normally attempt to just go ahead and defraud ALL of us. Not only
    >Microsoft.

    Really? I thought Microsoft was only in it for the money...

    --

    Liddle Feesh
    *fap fap fap fap*

    Guest, Mar 21, 2005