Cheat motherboard that 98FE is 98SE

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ardent, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. Ardent

    Ardent Guest

    Hi Friends

    I just bought an Intel P4+ 845 board and tried to install Win98 first
    edition but none of the drivers will load. The board specifies the
    minimum requirement as Win98SE.

    I have earlier tried 98FE, 98SE and XP and finally settled on 98FE as
    it is less bloated that 98SE and meets all my needs admirably.

    Is there anyway I can make the board think that I am installing
    Win98SE though, in reality, I will be installing 98FE.

    I am asking this because I understand 98FE and 98SE are not much
    different except for improved USB and internet sharing.

    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    --
    Sandy Archer
    Reply to newsgroups only
    Ardent, Feb 29, 2004

  2. Ardent

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 00:28:39 +0000, Ardent wrote:

    > I just bought an Intel P4+ 845 board and tried to install Win98 first
    > edition but none of the drivers will load. The board specifies the
    > minimum requirement as Win98SE.

    What difference would it make to the motherboard what operating system you
    were using? Win95 and early 98 had some USB problems, but what if you
    wanted to run Linux? What drivers aren't loading?
    JTJersey, Feb 29, 2004

  3. Ardent

    Thor Guest

    I STRONGLY suggest that at a minimum you either put SE on it, or else
    reconsider XP. 98FE is already starting to be abandoned by peripheral and
    other hardware makers, as you have discovered. Considering the speed of your
    new configuration, the "bloat" difference (and there really isn't any)
    between FE and SE will be imperceptible to you, and well worth the benefits
    of not having to deal with problems similar to this later on. You are asking
    for nothing but trouble by trying to get around the minimum requirements,
    and what you will probably end up with is a mess of conflicts and driver
    incompatibilities if you try and force the issue. If it were me, I'd ditch
    98 altogether and go with XP. It's by far, more stable and far better suited
    to that new hardware. I simply can't emphasize this strongly enough, Sandy.
    XP is worlds better than 98. And you can set the interface to look just like
    98's if you don't like the way XP normally looks.

    Thor, Feb 29, 2004
  4. Ardent

    Thor Guest

    "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 00:28:39 +0000, Ardent wrote:
    >

    > > I just bought an Intel P4+ 845 board and tried to install Win98 first
    > > edition but none of the drivers will load. The board specifies the
    > > minimum requirement as Win98SE.

    > What difference would it make to the motherboard what operating system you
    > were using? Win95 and early 98 had some USB problems, but what if you
    > wanted to run Linux? What drivers aren't loading?

    Well, the OS has to be able to load up drivers that work with the hardware.
    Controllers, chipsets, etc. Win95 and 98 don't have the embedded drivers
    necessary for complete support of newer boards, and as a result manufacturer
    drivers have to be loaded for proper detection and operation of the
    motherboard features. Without them you'll usually get unidentified and
    unsupported debices listed in the device manager, or inadequate and outdated
    driver support of those devices which hampers their performance. The drivers
    aren't installing for her because they want Win98SE at a minimum. If one had
    Linux, you would have to hope that your Linux distro would have the
    necessary drivers included, otherwise you will have to seek out Linux
    drivers from the motherboard manufacturer.
    Thor, Feb 29, 2004
  5. Ardent

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Ardent" <> wrote in message

    > Hi Friends
    >
    > I just bought an Intel P4+ 845 board and tried to install Win98 first
    > edition but none of the drivers will load. The board specifies the
    > minimum requirement as Win98SE.

    If you can't get reference drivers written for 98FE, you're out of luck.

    > I have earlier tried 98FE, 98SE and XP and finally settled on 98FE as
    > it is less bloated that 98SE and meets all my needs admirably.

    Well, 98FE is an old OS and you're only going to have more problems like
    this, the longer you hold on. New hardware and old software don't always
    play well together.

    > Is there anyway I can make the board think that I am installing
    > Win98SE though, in reality, I will be installing 98FE.

    No, it's the hardware on the board that needs a driver for it to work
    properly and as you say, there isn't one.

    > I am asking this because I understand 98FE and 98SE are not much
    > different except for improved USB and internet sharing.

    True enough but if the driver is written for SE only and you say it won't
    install on FE, you're either doing it wrong or it really won't load.

    > Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    3 Solutions, upgrade to XP and get used to it, (you really will) Load up
    98SE and be done with it or go buy another motherboard that has 98FE drivers
    written for it. Personally, I'd go for XP. It's a very flexible OS and once
    you get used to it and have it set up the way you want, it's just there and
    is not obtrusive

    Michael-NC, Feb 29, 2004
  6. Ardent

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:10:43 -0500, Thor wrote:

    > "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 00:28:39 +0000, Ardent wrote:
    >>

    >> > I just bought an Intel P4+ 845 board and tried to install Win98 first
    >> > edition but none of the drivers will load. The board specifies the
    >> > minimum requirement as Win98SE.

    >> What difference would it make to the motherboard what operating system
    >> you were using? Win95 and early 98 had some USB problems, but what if
    >> you wanted to run Linux? What drivers aren't loading?

    > Well, the OS has to be able to load up drivers that work with the
    > hardware. Controllers, chipsets, etc. Win95 and 98 don't have the
    > embedded drivers necessary for complete support of newer boards, and as
    > a result manufacturer drivers have to be loaded for proper detection and
    > operation of the motherboard features. Without them you'll usually get
    > unidentified and unsupported debices listed in the device manager, or
    > inadequate and outdated driver support of those devices which hampers
    > their performance. The drivers aren't installing for her because they
    > want Win98SE at a minimum. If one had Linux, you would have to hope that
    > your Linux distro would have the necessary drivers included, otherwise
    > you will have to seek out Linux drivers from the motherboard
    > manufacturer.

    I was going to say that I never encountered that problem before, but I
    did, in fact, have just that problem a month or so ago with a new board
    using a Mandrake/Linux distro. An annoying experience to say the least.
    You are, as usual, correct.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Feb 29, 2004
  7. Ardent

    Ardent Guest

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 00:28:39 GMT, Ardent <> wrote:

    >Is there anyway I can make the board think that I am installing
    >Win98SE though, in reality, I will be installing 98FE.

    Thanks everybody for taking time to answer my question. I agree about
    the advisability of going for later software that has all the drivers
    for the newer hardware.

    Yet the (harmless) hacker in me wants to experiment with such things,
    say for instance using a 98SE install with some 98FE files pulled in.
    I know there are others like me and just wanted to know whether anyone
    has tried it earlier.

    --
    Sandy Archer
    Reply to newsgroups only