Cheapskate losers go to the cloud

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Sep 10, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Sep 10, 2011

  2. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 00:36:09 -0700 (PDT), RichA <> wrote:
    : Just one more example of what lack of physical ownership gets you.
    :
    : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14851455

    Thanks for the warning, Rich. But I think you'd find that there are few, if
    any, contributors to these newsgroups who don't already know the risks
    inherent in cloud computing (and, if necessary, how to combat them). I guess
    we all remember the case a few years ago when a cloud photo storage service
    went broke overnight, and their creditors didn't give its customers enough
    time to get their pictures off the servers before they wiped and sold them.

    The references to DNS in the article are interesting, because the reported
    events coincide pretty well with Microsoft's distribution of an emergency
    update to its list of trusted issuers of encryption certificates. The system
    had been hacked, and a company (in the Netherlands, I believe) had been
    issuing bogus certificates that would allow malevolent fellows with deceptive
    intent to mis-identify the network locations of various companies' servers.
    The fact that some services failed when Microsoft issued the fix (if that's
    actually what happened) suggests that those services may have been victimized
    by the bogus certificates, or even that the fix itself was too broad.

    What are you doing reading a BBC site, Rich? I thought you hated the Brits.
    Don't they have a policeman hiding behind every rock, waiting to reel you in
    for some imaginary offense? I'm pretty sure that's what you told us a while
    back. ;^)

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Sep 10, 2011

  3. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/10/2011 7:49 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 00:36:09 -0700 (PDT), RichA<> wrote:
    > : Just one more example of what lack of physical ownership gets you.
    > :
    > : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14851455
    >
    > Thanks for the warning, Rich. But I think you'd find that there are few, if
    > any, contributors to these newsgroups who don't already know the risks
    > inherent in cloud computing (and, if necessary, how to combat them). I guess
    > we all remember the case a few years ago when a cloud photo storage service
    > went broke overnight, and their creditors didn't give its customers enough
    > time to get their pictures off the servers before they wiped and sold them.
    >
    > The references to DNS in the article are interesting, because the reported
    > events coincide pretty well with Microsoft's distribution of an emergency
    > update to its list of trusted issuers of encryption certificates. The system
    > had been hacked, and a company (in the Netherlands, I believe) had been
    > issuing bogus certificates that would allow malevolent fellows with deceptive
    > intent to mis-identify the network locations of various companies' servers.
    > The fact that some services failed when Microsoft issued the fix (if that's
    > actually what happened) suggests that those services may have been victimized
    > by the bogus certificates, or even that the fix itself was too broad.
    >
    > What are you doing reading a BBC site, Rich? I thought you hated the Brits.
    > Don't they have a policeman hiding behind every rock, waiting to reel you in
    > for some imaginary offense? I'm pretty sure that's what you told us a while
    > back. ;^)

    The more important question:
    Why is Rich worried about protecting his images?

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Sep 10, 2011
  4. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 23:59:26 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    : Robert Coe <> wrote in
    : news::
    :
    : >:
    : >: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14851455
    : >
    : > Thanks for the warning, Rich. But I think you'd find that there are
    : > few, if any, contributors to these newsgroups who don't already know
    : > the risks inherent in cloud computing (and, if necessary, how to
    : > combat them).
    :
    : "Combat them." Only a moron puts themselves into a situation that requires
    : "combat" when they can easily avoid it.

    I could just as easily have said "avoid them" or "mitigate them" or however
    you'd prefer to have it expressed. The point is that given the known risks,
    cloud computing is OK for some purposes (display or backup, for example), but
    unsafe for others (archival storage, active workflow). And everyone has to
    make his own risk assessment and decide what risk he's willing to tolerate. As
    it happens, I'm not a great fan of cloud computing. But if you think that
    every cloud user is a cheapskate loser, maybe you're the moron.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Sep 11, 2011